1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the U.S. take military action against Syria? (Political Debate thread)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by wonderfly, Sep 5, 2013.

?

What action should the U.S. take in regards to the ongoing war in Syria?

1. Full military action should be taken to remove the Assad regime.

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Limited military action should be taken to destroy Assad's chemical weapons supply or to punish him

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. The U.S. should not get involved in either side of the conflict (because both sides are bad - it sui

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The U.S. should not get involved in either side of the conflict as we're not the police of the world

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  5. The U.S. should not get involved in Syria because it'll just lead to another occupation/Iraq/Afganis

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. The U.S. should not get involved in Syria because it would escalate warfar throughout the Middle Eas

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

The staff of humorists guys titled "The Second City Network" on Youtube (are they related to the comedy group Second City?) did the following poltically incorrect video regarding the current events.

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

3. Kindness King

Kindness King Active Member

At least there's a chance with this "offer" thing going on with Assad. If that works out, there hopefully won't be a strike at all.

4. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Isn't that the game that Saddam Hussein played with the U.N. Inspectors for years though? Assad will dance around with whatever official is appointed to making sure he gives up all of his weapons (which will never fully be believed). Bush decided Saddam was toying with the U.N. and can't be trusted and took matters into his own hands. Obama won't do that (for better and for worse).

This route also guarantees he'll never pay for his war crimes.

5. Beefy

Beefy It only hurts forever

Discussion about Syria certainly dried up in light of all the US Congress shenanigans.

--------------------------------------------------------
    The US and Russia reached a deal to not have military intervention in Syria.
    On September 27, the U.N. Security Council voted unanimously to require Syria to eliminate its arsenal of chemical weapons or face consequences. Syria has until mid-2014 to comply.

The Syrians provided an initial declaration of its stockpile and must submit a plan for destroying the weapons by October 27.
    Inspectors must complete their initial inspections of all Syrian chemical weapons and storage facilities by November 1 and complete the eradication of production and chemical mixing facilities.

So far Syria is cooperating with teams from the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons and the United Nations.

There is concern that Syria still has at least four secret chemical weapons facilities that they have not told the inspection teams about, and that the regime is currently transferring chemical weapons to Iraq and Lebanon.

Sources:
    Destruction of Syria's chemical weapons begins, U.N. says - CNN.com
    Syria: Chemical weapons team faces many dangers, says U.N. chief Ban - CNN.com
    Syria 'cooperative' on chemical weapons, OPCW chief says - CNN.com
    --------------------------------------------------------

It's good to see the UN handling this instead of the US needing to take military action.
    It remains to be seen how successful this campaign will be and if the Syrian government is withholding any weapons.

6. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Over 3 years later since this discussion was held. I wanted to briefly revive it, as an important milestone has occurred.

As of today, Aleppo has fallen. The Assad regime has regained control of the rebel's "capital", and while it's not quite the end of the Syrian Civil War, it's close enough.

This article agrees, and it was written almost 2 months ago (prior to the election): "Syria's Civil War is over - Russian won." The article is correct, except for the prediction that Hillary Clinton would probably win the election (a throwaway line at the end of the article).

Reviewing previous comments in this thread, I don't think we had any idea for just how bad it would get. I'm reminded of the Fall of Saigon. History repeats itself.

7. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I do have the tendency to hate Assad more than the rebels and ISIS, simply because he started all of this and is only making things worse. Sometimes you can only solve a problem by starting at the root cause. A new Syrian government would definitely calm down many rebels. (but not all of them)

I don't think military actions will help, though. Has any war ever been a success story?! No. Furthermore, you can't even touch Assad without touching Putin first. I have no idea what we are supposed to do.

I don't believe anything from what my government is telling me. Those missiles only seem to hurt innocent people. I am tired of this idea that you can solve violence with even more violence. Our politicians said: "We have to do SOMETHING, right?!" Well, no. I can think of many ideas that are worse than no idea at all. Dropping missiles seems to be one of them.

This will look very cruel, but I think 'no military action' is the best option for us and for the Syrian population.

Let's hope that the Russians get tired of Putin. That would definitely make things easier. It would at least destabilize Assad's regime.

8. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

It doesn't matter if they get tired of Putin or not. He's there and they've got no choice.

9. ToonLoon

ToonLoon Member

I really, really hope the U.S. finally learns its lesson about the Middle East with the new administration. You do not, under these circumstances, support destabilizing a government and creating a power vacuum which gives Islamic Fundamentalist groups like ISIS an opening to grow and create more terrorism on a worldwide scale. There are better ways to control a strongman and keep him in check. Bush 1 deciding not to march on Baghdad during the Gulf War was maybe the last intelligent military decision made in the region by our civilian government.