Should the Splat become its own channel?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Looney Turtles, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

With TeenNick's block, the Splat now being nearly a year old, I've been thinking about this lately, and what if they were to make the Splat its own channel? Would you be in support of it?

Yes, I know, an ''all-classics" channel wouldn't really work on TV today. That's why I think they should kind of go through the Boomerang route with the Splat. On Boomerang, you see a good mixture of pre-90's cartoons, old Cartoon Network shows, and current shows. In a similar way, I would propose the Splat channel to feature a mix of classic Nickelodeon shows, a little bit of the non-Nickelodeon shows that used to air on the channel, and new shows for the channel, such as perhaps the Rugrats and Doug reboots they've been talking about. And as a whole channel, it would have more room to rotate its schedule than it does now as a block.

Just hopefully, they could avoid the same fate that the channel Nicktoons had. I'm sure that by this point, Nicktoons is beyond recovery, so maybe they can attempt this again, and learn from their mistakes from before.

#1 Looney Turtles, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  2. cheril59

cheril59 Member

Yeah, and I only wish The Busy World of Richard Scarry and Busytown Mysteries would have aired on Nick Jr instead of Sprout. I mean, did you see Nickelodeon listed in the end credits for Busy World?

And for the Splat channel, we could always use Tiny Toons, Pinky and the Brain, and Animaniacs. And Muppet Babies.

3. chum_chum

chum_chum Active Member

No, a channel like that would be non-profitable, since the ad sellers hate those kind of networks. The Splats audience doesn't usually watches TV durning the daytime, so it's perfect. I would love the block to have one timeslot a day, maybe even the worst one, like, to show all nicktoons in a chronological order, from start to finish, especially the most forgotten/irrelevant ones.
    I wish Nick had the budget/balls to rewamp NickToons though, to have fun with it, you know, like Nick had when it started. To have like a TV PG version of [adult swim], airing the kind of new and groundbreaking creator driven shows like Ren & Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life were. Give few cult classics like Zim or Clone High a continuation, maybe even a lory Spongebob reboot, kinda like Disney has two completely opposite Mickey Mouse series at the same time. For promo they can simulcast the premieres for 45 minutes durning the first hour of nick@nite, once a week. Disney invested a lot of money in XD and Nick doesn't even host a website for NickToons anymore

4. Looney Turtles

I already addressed this argument in my post.

5. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

They only have a handful of 90's Nick shows to me I really don't think it would work it would probably just end up rerunning shows over and over again.

6. Looney Turtles

They do try to bring in variety for the Splat as a block sometimes. I could see them doing so with the Splat as a whole channel too.

In fact, Viacom recently put out a classic MTV channel. Maybe a classic Nickelodeon channel is next?

7. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

I'd rather it be an online streaming channel, like a legal alternative to the now defunct Nick Reboot.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Antonio Bravo

Antonio Bravo IDOL UP!

Heck Yes. TeenNick should be replaced and devoured by The Splat.

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I like the Splat, but I don't know if it would work as a full channel. They'd have enough content to make a channel work, but whether or not it would be successful is another issue. I'm not sure if going the Boomerang direction would work either given that most people I've seen don't seem to care for current Boomerang.

Personally, I'd go with some legal streaming site or including some Splat section on Nick's On Demand section. They do have a Nick Rewind section, but that only covers five of their Nicktoons. Including some of their old live action series there would resolve the issue though. A streaming site would be handy for those who miss the block or would want to watch a few episodes of a specific series instead of what they're playing during the week.

10. ZukoFan

ZukoFan Member

It's an excellent question. Certainly, I think a classic-oriented channel would win a lot of followers very quickly. The only problem is that it kind of distracts from the main problem Nickelodeon has at the moment: they simply aren't producing good original content. In my opinion, they haven't had a good live-action series since Ned's Declassified nor a top animated series since Avatar.

If Nickelodeon could get strong original programming, and have a spin-off channel with many of their classic shows, I might be in support of the idea; however, given the current state of affairs, I too would support a streaming option for all of Nick's classic library.

11. Looney Turtles

TeenNick is currently all reruns anyway, so why not? I would rebrand TeenNick into The Splat, using the methods I described in my opening post.

12. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

I am in favor of this as long as they don't fill all (or most of) the time-slots with FOP &/or SBSP since they both already air on Nick & Nicktoons!

Also I think Boomerrang is better then Teennick because they air classic 90's Pokemon while retaining all the omake (bonus) stuff from the original Kids' WB version!

(like "Who's that Pokemon?" & "Pikachu's Jukebox")

Meanwhile Teennick is just The Splat, Dan Schneider sitcoms, & Boy Meets World!

(which should be on Freeform because of BMW's counterpart Girl Meets World which is on Disney Channel)

#12 Mikurotoro92, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  13. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

The problem with doing a Splat network is that Nickelodeon was only really "Nickelodeon" for a few hours a day. The rest shared between Nick Jr. in the early to mid afternoon and of course Nick at Night. As such they don't have a lot of vintage original programming because even then they were spamming those timeslots with syndicated reruns and Looney Tunes.

In the end if nostalgia equals endless SpongeBob then I walk.

14. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

You know FOP doesn't currently air in main nickelodeon for reruns except new episodes. This is mentioned many times in other threads

And Boy Meets World recently have already aired in abc family. The network abcfamily just rebrand to freeform earlier January. Boy Meets World can also be shown on mtv2

Onto this topic, I think the splat should replace nick@nite since it serves no purpose and airing same 4 shows. Full house should move to teennick, fresh prince can be seen in other networks, friends and gl should move back to tvland.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Looney Turtles

Well, when I said classic Nick shows, I was excluding the ones that are still running, like SpongeBob and FOP, as they are both already airing elsewhere, as you said. In addition, I would move some of the sitcoms currently airing on TeenNick into the Splat's rotation, such as Ned's Declassified and Zoey 101. Meanwhile, reruns of Kenan & Kel and Drake & Josh are currently airing on MTV2.

16. tonyr6

tonyr6 Member

Full House could stay on Nick as a buffer for a hour a day before the Splat comes on which should replace Nick at Night. Any shows on Nick and Night could move over to TV Land.

17. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

yeah there is a thread about MTV2 posted in entertainment section. Romeo! will air in MTV2 on Sat.

18. Danno Kane

Danno Kane New Member

It could happen.,,.

19. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

Oh, I wish. If only those types of networks DID do good today...

20. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Here if I feel like it

If Viacom can do MTV Classic, then I don't see why not, it would be better since they could air more shows on the schedule rather than just Hey Arnold! and CatDog.

My idea for the channel is anything up to El Tigre basically.

• Agree Agree x 1