Should Lola Bunny be retired?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Looney Tunian, Nov 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Looney Tunian

Looney Tunian New Member

Now the Looney Tunes character Lola Bunny since her debut in Space Jam has gotten controversy from fans of classic cartoons. In Space Jam she was given flack for her Mary Sue-type personality(or lack there off) and later on in The Looney Tunes Show she was given a kooky and crazy personality that people were less enthusiastic about. Animator Chuck Jones said she was a worthless character with no future(and a victim of "furvert fetish") and I talked with animation historian Jerry Beck and he believes that they should get rid of Lola replacing her with a new girlfriend for Bugs.

This made me ask the question...should they just get rid of Lola all together or can there be a way for her to survive in the franchise?

2. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Just to be accurate, Chuck Jones said that about the Space Jam version of Lola. Jones died in 2002, so he never got to see The Looney Tunes Show.

But to answer the question: no, I don't think Lola Bunny should be retired, and she won't be retired as long as she's popular with fans. If anyone at WB has a problem with Lola's portrayal, instead of retiring the character, they could just, I don't know, make Lola better. Why do so many people act like TLTS version of Lola is somehow the final definitive version of the character and there can or will be no others? All characters evolve. Porky Pig, Daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny and most of the other Looney Tunes characters started out one way, then other directors changed them adding their own nuances. There's no reason why the same thing can't be done with Lola, though I personally don't mind the current take on the character.

3. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

Just for the record, The Looney Tunes Show's version of Lola was not universally hated. Some people hated this version of the character, but others (myself included) actually enjoyed Lola on TLTS and actually preferred this take on Lola to the character's depiction on Space Jam. A few folks on an internet message board do not equate to the vast majority of the viewing public, and one shouldn't use their own personal opinions of why they didn't like a character as actual reasons why the character wasn't /isn't successful.

A few months ago, I had a similar discussion with a colleague about the character of Richard Watterson on The Amazing World of Gumball. He feels that Richard is the worst character on the show and that he wanted to write a fanfic in which the character would be permanently disposed of so that the Watterson kids could get a new stepfather. My response was that if he disliked how Richard was portrayed that instead of doing away with the character, he could instead just "fix" everything that he thought was wrong with him.

None of the established Looney Tunes characters have ended up the exact way that they started. Each director had their own take on the characters. Bob Clampett's take on Bugs Bunny was different than Tex Avery's take on Bugs, and Friz Freleng's Bugs was different than Bob Clampett's, which was different from Robert McKimson's Bugs, which was different from Chuck Jones' Bugs, etc...

So to answer the question: There's absolutely no reason why Lola should be retired when shes barely made a dent in the Looney Tunes canon. Replacing Lola with a new girl rabbit would be pointless because said character would just be another blank slate, which is precisely what Lola was when she made her debut in Space Jam. Such a move would solve nothing.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  4. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Even on The Looney Tunes Show, she felt like she was only there to be "the girl". So I wouldn't mind if she went away forever.

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

The Looney Tunes can't go back to being just dudes. Not anymore. Not in this era of Political Correctness. Warner Brothers has been catching flack for decades about the LT franchise being a boys' club, so they need to have more female characters besides just Granny and Witch Hazel. No girl is going to go out and buy a T-shirt with Miss Prissy on it or say "My personal Looney Tunes hero is Penelope Pussycat!". Girls want a female LT character whom they can glom onto and be the girl equivalent to Bugs, Daffy, Porky et al. When Tiny Toon Adventures came out in 1990, WB and Amblin knew that the cast couldn't all be boys. Even arch rival Disney has Minnie, Daisy and Clarabelle in their shorts gang, plus, as I mentioned earlier, the character's popular with fans, so like it or not, Lola's here to stay.

6. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

So basically it's just like the Muppets.

An Open Letter to the Muppets, From a Little Girl and Her Dad | Mommy Man

7. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I really like the new Lola, but a lot of that comes down to Kristen Wiig's performance. If she can't do it anymore, it's likely that Lola will get a modified personality in the future.

8. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Keep Lola Bunny in the Looney Tunes universe!

9. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

As previously stated, Lola is not going to be retired. The OP is posing the hypothetical question of whether or not she should be retired, but it's not actually going to happen. The character is too popular with fans, and the Looney Tunes franchise needs to hold on to its' gals. Lola won't be going away anytime soon.

10. Rainbow Dash Fan

Rainbow Dash Fan New Member

If WB is so concerned about being politically correct, why was the TLTS Lola so anti-feminist?

11. Goldstar Neo

It's not as though TLTS' Lola was the first ditsy female character to ever be depicted in a cartoon. Betty Boop, Melody from Josie and the Pussycats, Mihoshi from Tenchi Muyo!, Bubbles from The Powerpuff Girls and Pinkie Pie from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic all say howdy.

If Lola had been the only female character on TLTS, then you might have a legitimate gripe, but the show also had Tina Russo, who had an altogether different personality than Lola, to provide contrast. Furthermore, Lola wasn't meant to represent young females any more than characters like Daffy, Porky or Sam were meant to represent young males. Every female character on TV doesn't have to be positive role model, just like how not every male character on TV is a positive role model. a character's flaws and shortcomings are what make them relatable to the viewers.

Another thing that people who hate TLTS Lola tend to forget is that the show was aimed at kids, and kids love goofy, silly, wacky characters. they eat them up like free pizza. Case in point, the popularity of Homer Simpson, SpongeBob Squarepants and Peter Griffin. Why is it that when a female character has any sort of similar traits with failings and shortcomings she gets hit with labels such as "anti-feminist"?

Anyway, TLTS is over, so I think that it's kind of late in the game to be complaining about that particular depiction of Lola. Warner Brothers never stated that TLTS' Lola would be the final, definitive take on the character. The fact of the matter is that Lola can be whatever the heck her creators want her to be because she's a fictional character.

12. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I don't think Lola is anti-feminist. It's not anti-feminist to have a female character that'd dumb. Dumb comes in all genders. And despite being a bit touched, Lola is otherwise very independent and driven.

13. Rainbow Dash Fan

comparing her to Pinkie Pie from FIM doesn't work because that character is still responsible and intelligent. in fact, Pinkie is TLTS Lola done right. there are really scummy things this Lola does like in "Double Date" or "The Black Widow" that she never gets called out on, punished for or lean her lesson. and Simpsons is for the whole family and Family Guy is a strictly adult cartoon. and I usually don't worry about this stuff but if it's aimed at kids, isn't that even more reason to have role models? and the original Lola Bunny was a bit of a Mary Sue, I admit that and I don't want her back exactly the way she was but what she stood for was removed in TLTS.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2014
  14. Goldstar Neo

The Looney Tunes Show was a strictly-for-laughs comedy. It wasn't meant to teach lessons or anything. Honestly, Lola was no more irresponsible on that show than Daffy or Sam, but I don't see anyone calling them out for being bad role models or whatever. Again, why are female fictional characters held to different standards than male fictional characters?

That's irrelevant. It doesn't change the fact that female characters are still being held to different standards than males.

Anyway, it's pretty much a moot point, since as previously stated, TLTS is over now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2014
  15. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

What did Space Jam Lola stand for, exactly? Not being funny and having no personality beyond being an absurdly sexy and annoyingly perfect token chick?

I'm sorry, but I just don't see what was so great about the Space Jam version of Lola. The LTS version may have been a little flaky (and I also don't get why folks get so up in arms about a character in the LOONEY Tunes franchise acting loony), but I don't see her earlier Space Jam being such a great alternative. A crazy personality is better than no personality at all, at least in comedic fiction.

16. Rainbow Dash Fan

she stood for female empowerment, at least to a noticeable amount of people. I'm a guy and I liked her for similar reasons as a kid, I didn't do well at sports and regretted that fact and I was always more drawn to cartoon characters, still am. and this is also why I don't harp on the guys since characters like Sam and Daffy never stood for anything before. and this may be the final version of Lola because she was a hit and Warner Bros. either doesn't know or doesn't care about the old Lola fans.

17. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

If she could've done that while being funny and possessing the personality quirks, foibles and flaws which make good characters relatable, then I'd be all for that, but as it stands, SJ Lola was just a bland tokensih Mary Sue, and regardless of which direction WB decides to take the character, I'm not gonna miss that version.

18. Goldstar Neo

If Warner Brothers decided to use loony Lola for another Looney Tunes project, that wouldn't bother me in the slightest because I found that version of the character to be funny, while her Space Jam version just bored me. No offense to anyone who liked that version, but at least loony Lola had a personality.

You're holding Lola to different standards than Daffy and Sam because she's female, like I said earlier.

19. Rainbow Dash Fan

Then, what are the people who liked SJ Lola supposed to do? I know Space Jam is still there but it's only one movie, to truly make us happy, there has to be more of the old Lola. and not exactly as she was, she can have quirks and such, just keep her mostly the same.

20. Goldstar Neo

Wasn't Space Jam Lola basically a blank slate, though? I mean, what did we know about SJ Lola other than she was good at basketball?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.