1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Should DC have it's own studio?

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by brickrrb2, Jan 19, 2014.

1. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

Well. Anyone think so?

2. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Whether or not anyone thinks that DC should have its' own studio is moot, since it's not going to happen. DC doesn't have the money or resources to produce and distribute their own TV shows and movies. The comic book industry is just a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the mainstream entertainment industry.

#2 Silverstar, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
  3. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I second that emotion. DC is just a unit of Time-Warner, which does fairly well with movies most of the time. They just need to clean up the DC office and get rid of people who think they know how to make movies, and find someone who actually does. They've pushed back the Superman-Batman movie to 2016, which hardly makes any sense.

4. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

I think they were sort of hoping Nolan would be their Feige, but I just don't think he has the mindset or the time between his own projects to be that hands-on as a producer.

5. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

He must be talking about what Marvel has: still owned by a bigger company but run separately from the other studios. Still not going to happen, though.

6. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

No. Warner keeps messing up, but the current heads running the comics division are just as bad.Their ill-fated push to try and make Hal Jordan A-list (whilst ignoring John Stewart, who was very recognizable to kids and teens thanks to the DCAU) was largely thanks to a pattern put in place by Geoff Johns and Dan Didio in the first place. The last thing those two need is MORE influence on the movies.

7. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

I never bought into the idea that John Stewart was in the cartoon, therefore the comics must change to reflect that. There's not to suggest that movies, which have a ton more viewers than cartoons, have a huge effect on the habits of people who would be willing to buy comics, i.e. the current buyers and the would-be buyers. Cartoon watching doesn't always translate to comic buying. But I'm kind of tired for the John vs. Hal debate on other boards, so I won't say much more on this one.

Stuff usually gets pushed back because the creators and producers figure they can't complete everything in time. If that's the case, that's the exact opposite of "hardly makes any sense."

My general frame of mind is that I want the movies to reflect the wants and sensibilities of people who are loyal to the comic characters and purchase comics, movies, TV shows, toys, etc. I feel like Marvel's successful because while they are still driven to pull in as wide an audience as possible, they seem to operate under the guideline that you still have to be faithful to the spirit of the comics, and willing to please the people who've supported the characters for years. You can't be all "We're going to do it this way because that's how it is in the comics," but you can't also be only "This is the Hollywood action movie formula that gets you X hundred million dollars." I feel Marvel generally reconciles the two, whereas lately WB is just... off. Selfishly, I figure if you're going to flop, flop because you pleased the comic fans. That's why I tend to look forward to animated movies, because they seem more in the spirit of the comics and less about interesting people who otherwise wouldn't care about the characters.

8. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

But everything about the movie is sounding so slapdash and desperate. Man of Steel only did slightly better than Superman Returns, so let's shoehorn in Batman.

9. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

They've tried this before. DC clearly has no clue what to do with most of their properties beyond announce release dates they have no hope of obtaining. Since the announcement of The Flash movie at the same time as Man of Steel 2, what has actually happened? Nothing - no writer or director is in place. Even the progress that they have made has been met with strong disapproval from the majority of people, the casting of Batman and Wonder Woman has not been greeted kindly. If the rumour of The Rock as Green Lantern are true, that is a massive casting coup, but will this Justice League movie ever get off the ground in time to for in with The Rock's ever increasingly frantic schedule? He will not be able to commit to the project if WB continue to fumble around with it.

In terms of films, Marvel is way ahead of DC. Going in direst competition against Marvel on opening day could be a foolish move if Marvel have a heavy hitter planned for their May 2016 release, it could be a major set back for all of their Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Justice League franchises.

10. I_Spyral

I_Spyral Moonrider

DC is not in the business of making films, hence the thread topic.

11. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

DC won't have their own studio, that's what Warner Bros. is for. WB IS their studio. All of their properties are owned by the same studio.

If WB had any savvy, they could've done Justice League, or a shared universe, decades ago.

Unless you mean having the likes of Johns, Didio and Lee actually control their movie properties?

12. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

DC Entertainment probably now gives them about as much control as Marvel has over the Spider-Man and X-Men movies.

13. I_Spyral

I_Spyral Moonrider

No. Marvel has a studio, and it's run by Kevin Feige, not Quesada and Bendis.

And how much control is that?

14. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Less control than with the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

15. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

So how do fix this

16. RoryWilliams

Nowhere did I say that. Rather my point was that despite being recognizable thanks to the cartoon, Johns and Didio decided to put John out of the spotlight and aggressively push Hal Jordan to the point that WB tried giving him a TV show and a 200 million dollar film, neither of which panned out. My point was that it likely would've been a smarter move to use John (as the planned Justice League: Mortal film would've) but the current DC head honchos said "NAW LET'S GIVE EM HAL INSTEAD" because of their own fanboyism.

It's lunatics running the asylum.

17. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Wasn't Hal Jordan the original or main Green Lantern?

18. RoryWilliams

But not the one the audience was familiar with. And no, around the time JLU was airing Hal was going by a different alias, the Spectre. It was Johns and Didio who decided to bring him back as the "one true" GL and try to force him down the public's throat.

19. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

DC isn't going to split from Warner Brothers, if that's you're implying. All that really needs to happen is the WB to bring in some directors for their DC live action features who have a better handle on the characters and the direction of the franchise.

20. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

Pretty sure Alan Scott was the original.