Should Cartoon Planet come to Boomerang?

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Daikun, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Since Cartoon Network recently revived Cartoon Planet for its 20th anniversary, I feel that they should at least seize the opportunity to capitalize on the original series.

For years, I've thought that CP was a perfect fit for Boomerang. It's the tamest of the Williams Street shows; it's more kid-friendly without trudging into the Adult Swim territory that they're known for today.

I think it would be nice if they aired the classic series, and maybe sprinkle some of the new 2012 segments throughout the network. It would add a bit of variety to what seems like a stagnating network.

2. Reserved Nutcase

Reserved Nutcase Too Nutty For the Nuthouse

I'd keep the premieres of the Cartoon Planet revival on Cartoon Network simply because not everyone gets Boomerang. Though I believe Boomerang can be used for all rerun episodes of Cartoon Planet (both from the old and revival series) at certain days of the week, it doesn't have to be everyday (especially considering that they are already airing shows like Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, and Cow and Chicken in their entirety, if only they rerun ALL the episodes from those said series). Still, it wouldn't hurt Boomerang to also give shows like Foster's Home and Chowder full half-hour slots on its lineup.

3. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Revengeful

I'd be such a fan of that! The only catch in the rights to it are clips of the shows seen in it, but once that's out of the way, let it happen!

If they were to bring it, I'd say give it 2 slots everyday or at least, 2 weekdays, 1 weekend. For example, on weekdays, test it at noon or 12:30, and either in the 7pm hour or 9pm hour, like 9:30pm. Perhaps even play it late (with the return of something else, like 2 Stupid Dogs) and give Wacky Races/Penelope Pitstop an over-highly needed break. So either 2:30am or 3am for another encore. Let CP play for something like 5 rotations just to get it a good span.

Last time it was on a daily lineup, was around 2005-2006, when [as] played it at 5:00am. Didn't enjoy that run though, cause I always slept, but did tape it ~

Just to go nostalgic here, when I first remember seeing it, it was on Friday nights at 11pm, before SGC2C (what an awesome hour that was) as well as Saturdays at noon. It also played late-late Sunday nights (3am range), didn't catch it there, though perhaps taped it there once. The Saturdays at noon though, for a series like that, really felt, like CN. Late 90s~ :brak:

4. PC!

PC! lolwut?

No doubt it would take a great deal of time to edit out the copyrighted clips and music they can no longer use. I think that's what's prevented the show from being rerun for so many years.

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

If Turner could find a way around the copyrighted clips and music without it being a problem (either by simply removing them and/or replacing them with other clips and songs), then I'd be all for that. It would finally give me a reason to watch Boomerang again.

6. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

What might they not be able to air? It was on Adult Swim about 3 or 4 years ago right? It was made with Turner resources so what was included that Turner can no longer air? I honestly do not remember.

I'm all for it and pre-AS Space Ghost C2C or even the AS episodes if they can swing it. Would not mind Home Movies either but the other old AS originals have a lot less half hours and cycle in "enough" and should remain on AS.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2012
  7. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

:^: Yes. I'd totally be down with the original Space Ghost: Coast to Coast airing on Boomerang, though some of the earlier shows like "The Mask" or "BatMantis" would possibly have to be skipped due to the celebrity guests or their studios and/or estates blocking them, which is also why those episodes didn't make it to DVD. That and CP would add some much needed spice and variety to Boom, though I fear that this is destined to be nothing more than a pipe dream, like Megas or Foster's coming to Boom. It's such a good idea that Turner will likely never consider it.

8. Eric B

Eric B New Member

I say YES!!!
    Been waiting for it for years!

9. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Yes... I quite like the idea of airing Cartoon Planet and Space Ghost C2C on Boomerang. Perhaps each could book-end the late night action block.

I'd like less redundancy in prime time as well. Perhaps The Flintstones and The Jetsons in late PT followed by Cartoon Planet and some midnight action and finish off with SGC2C leading into a late night comedy block with vintage material and the quirkier comedies they have laying around.

10. Classic guy

Classic guy New Member

They need to bring back the old school Cartoon Planet since it was the best.

11. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord

1. I believe that rule is in place for DVDs only since that involves the companies selling those episodes in stores. Case in point, Adult Swim had a marathon consisting of all of the Season 1 and 2 episodes that weren't allowed a DVD release. Bigger example is the Adam West Batman show airing on The Hub despite the legal issues preventing a DVD release.

2. Batmantis did make it on the DVDs.

12. Jazz1000

Jazz1000 Playing it Cool, bro!

it dapans on when CN Disides On What To Do With It, Personally i say it should stay on cartoon network.

13. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Yeah, whether or not Cartoon Planet should air on Boomerang really depends on what shape or form Boom's CP would take. If it was just going to be a reiteration of the one which is currently airing on Cartoon Network, then it would be better suited staying on Cartoon Network. Cartoon Planet serves CN well, since most people don't have access to Boomerang and it would be kind of redundant for Boom to run a show spotlighting assorted Dexter, PPG and Johnny Bravo shorts when those shows already run in their entire half-hour formats on the channel. Ideally, a block should feature material that can't be seen anywhere else on the channel. And if Boom were going to run a show which features Chowder, Lazlo, Flapjack, Gym Partner and Foster's shorts, then Turner could just as easily give those shows half-hour slots on Boomerang.

14. Eric B

Eric B New Member

It would be the old, “classic” CP (which was heavier on the new skits) that we're talking about coming to BOOM, not the new one.
    It would be nice if they could restore the original format from TBS, and the early CN version, which played classic cartoons.