1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Bugs and the gang "get with the times" or stay "classic"?

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by CartoonSage, Oct 13, 2007.

?

Can the Looney Tunes be truely resurected again?

1. No! Never! The Looney Tunes are a Godley force that can be recreated the same way again!

31.6%
  2. With the right talent and ideas we can make Looney Tunes TV shows/shorts in the with the same classi

68.4%
  1. Scythemantis

Scythemantis With Soar-Throat Ghost

I didn't say the shows themselves failed, but someone said they failed to capture the spirit of the classics, if that's what they were going for, and I agree.

2. Jyose

Jyose Member

Oh.
    Well, I could go as far as calling A! "Looney Tunes lite" It's like Looney Tunes, with less looney. TTA was something else all together.

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

IMO, A! was more like a vaudeville revue with Looney Tunes sensibilities; a lot of separate acts presented at a rapid-fire, random pace. TTA was more directly reminiscent of Looney Tunes (especially with the cast being more or less junior versions of Bugs, Daffy, Porky et al), which isn't surprising, as it was originally going to be Junior Looney Tunes.

Both shows were aimed primarily at children, (though A! seemed to be targeted toward a slightly broader audience, again IMO), but both shows featured enough sly references and clever gags to keep older audiences entertained. For trying to bring LT style into a new era, I thought both shows did well. Just me though. *shrugs*

4. Toony Loon

Toony Loon What's all the hubub, bub?

I don't think it's right to say that Looney Tunes should not be modernized, but it would be wise to stay away from modernization, because now, a lot modernized animation is basically limited animation with "funny" diologue, and the timing being way, way off. I don't mean all modernized animation, but many shows are becoming that, and I think WB tried very hard not to do that when they were doing projects such as Carrotblanca, Chariots of Fur (Well, that was Chuck Jones' project) and Bah Humduck. The latter was nice, but needed work on their timing. If WB would just try and look at what they did with Tiny Toons, or Bah Humduck, and just "un-modernized" it a bit, they could come pretty close to making a cartoon that at least looked like a late-50's cartoon.

What also went wrong with recent projects, mainly Space Jam, is they put the Looney Tunes in a situation that they would never be in. I know classic LT/MM cartoons always experimented with sports/celebreties, but only to make fun of them, not to team the Looney Tunes up with them. And when they did, such as in The Mouse That Jack Built, they rendered them enough (such as turning Jack Benny into a mouse) to make it funny, not to actually use their actual live-action bodies, or to make Bugs and the gang playing basketball fairly (because if I know a classic Bugs Bunny, he would never play basketball by the rules).

So, yeah, if they had the right talent, WB could make a pretty decent series of new LT/MM. Only with the right talent.
    But it would be much better to just broadcast LT/MM on regular television, or cable.

5. Steve Carras

Steve Carras SUGAR RUSH!!!!

Ah, but I HAVE! I didn't know if that was the name but Arthur Q.Bryan [Elmer] WAS heard in the role with Jimmy Stewart!

6. DrTooth

DrTooth Active Member

Space Jam was on tv last afternoon, and I noticed something....

Daffy had a really good balance of pre Jones "Wacky Daffy" (the sequence where he examined Michael, as well as a few other instances) and post Jones "selfish jerk Daffy" (pretty much the rest of the movie).

While the movie may be unfortunate to some (the only complaint I had, Bill Murray didn't interact with the Looney Tunes as much as he should have), it seems like that's one thing they should have taken away.

I'd be all for a half jerk half wacky Daffy. I'd love them to explore that one in the future.

7. CartoonSage

CartoonSage What's the matter, Scared?

I'd like to see more Robert Mckinson (sp?) Daffy myself. I like the sophisticated, intentional pest that he was in those cartoons. Gimmie a Daffy Duck traveling salesman anytime!

8. Zechs

Zechs Rabbit in a box

I don't think they need an update while they are wonderful classics it's time to move on. Bugs has had his hey day and no toon can fill his shoes.

9. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I'm going to respond to respond to something that was asked earlier (by Jyose, I believe) about why Bugs has yet to get a new series the way Daffy and Taz have. My 2 cents:

I think the main problem with Bugs is how his character has evolved in the shorts over the years. In the beginning, Bugs was a bad boy, a wild character who just heckled people because he could. As he evolved, Bugs became more of a suave character and a hero who always comes out on top. The later post 1940 Bugs Bunny-whom I've come to dub "Perfect Bugs"- rarely made a wrong move, and as such became a harder character to write for, as characters who never screw up or make mistakes aren't very relatable.

As for the prospect of a new Bugs Bunny series in the vein of Duck Dodgers (for example, a series based on the short "The Unmentionables" or perhaps a "Super Rabbit" series), it could work, but the Bugs depicted in the series could not be Perfect Bugs. In order for Bugs to work as the central character in his own series, he could not just routinely and effortlessly out wit and out shine his foes without ever receiving so much as a scratch. Bugs could still defeat his foes, but he would have to be given some faults, annoyances and obstacles to overcome. And Bugs would have to (gasp) lose every so often. Even have some shorts in which Bugs does not come out on top. As Chuck Jones once said about the early Bugs Bunny, "If this guy's going to be loveable, he has to be picked on."

10. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

Hence why more people honestly do like Daffy and Donald over Bugs and Mickey, respectively. To get more specific, I've heard girls say they like Bugs and Mickey and guys say they like Daffy and Donald.

11. DrTooth

DrTooth Active Member

Well, Bugs and Mickey are pretty much quite different. Mickey seems to just have a happy go Lucky personality and nothing much else. In the cartoons I've seen him in he always plays off someone else. He's more like the host getting involved with wackier characters in the segment.

Bugs has a method to his cartoons. He pretty much goes around outsmarting other characters, and sometimes getting outsmarted himself. I don't think that could substain a full series, just a bunch of episodes. A new Looney Tunes show with Bugs should either be a compilation show about him and the others, or him with the others.

I said before, i have no qualms about Bugs and Friends being super heroes. I just feel Loonatics was the wrong way to do such. I mean, a Looney League of Stupor Heroes (or something) in which all the characters have super powers, but fumble a lot would work beautifully.

12. kaseykockroach

kaseykockroach Active Member

Its a very hard choice as to which theory to vote for.
    We may never have another Tex Avery, Bob Clampett, Arthur Davis or Chuck Jones again. So far, every single revival of the characters have been below mediocre.
    However, the Looney Tunes gang should never be forgotten. They should be placed back on television so people can see just what they have been missing. :)

13. DrTooth

DrTooth Active Member

I have to say, of course they're mediocre because of those reasons. We will never see anymore people like that. There really aren't too many animators out there that are recognised by name. But I think that their revivals were all decent for made for TV limited animation. Taz-Mania and Duck Dodgers especially.

But it would be great if there were still syndicated networks that would rerun these shows during the day. That's how I discovered them. Cable conglomerates buying up all the rights to reruns, and then not airing them at all? I find that pathetic. At least WB did something with the Looney Tunes classics, putting them on DVD. Mighty Mouse and the Terrytoon characters are locked up behind Viacom's vault of doom, never to see a DVD that wasn't made by Digiview or Bargainfresh entertainment holdings of New Jersey.

14. Gary L Thompson

Gary L Thompson Active Member

I remember when I went to college, I was rather puzzled by the audience reaction when they showed cartoon shorts one evening. "Pink Panther" cartoons were greeted with wild cheering, but "Road Runner" cartoons met with indifference. It was only years later when I got another look at the final "Road Runner" cartoons when they were rerun on TV, that I finally figured out why. The "Pink Panther" people never even tried to follow the strict rules Chuck Jones set for the Coyote or Road Runner. That's fine, other creators made classic "Bugs Bunny" cartoons while ignoring Jones' rules for that character too. What was indispensable from Chuck Jones' "Road Runner" cartoons was their comic timing, something which the cartoons made by the "Pink Panther" folks were totally lacking (unlike the "Pink Panther" cartoons themselves). Frankly, that's where the live-action movie "The Bandit", an intended tribute to "Road Runner" cartoons, went wrong as well--zero timing. Now Kirk Douglas was a gifted movie actor, he was even a good comic actor. But he was no physical comedian; with none of the gifts of, say, a Buster Keaton, Lucille Ball, Dick Van Dyke or Rowan (Mr. Bean) Atkinson that the role demanded; and that's what sank the movie.

I totally agree with you. I think Daffy would be more interesting that way, if they incorporated all the various sides of his past characters.

I agree Bugs would have to be written very carefully in order to work today. However, there were aspects from the old cartoons that could serve as a model to evoke the effect you're suggesting. The cartoons where Bugs lost to Cecil Turtle was the most obvious example, but there are others. Like the time Bugs Bunny disrupted the Academy Awards ceremony, annoyed that he had been passed over again for an Oscar (actually, with WB and MGM rights under the same roof, it would be very possible for Tom and Jerry to drop in on Bugs from time to time to heckle him for winning only one Oscar--well, I think there are others in right in the WB stable with a better track record than Bugs!). Or the time he got in a snit because he thought the bounty on rabbits was insultingly low ("He don't know me very well, do he?"). Bugs won his point in the end, but he also ended up in Alcatraz!

There were even occasions where Bugs may have come out on top, but it proved an empty victory. Like the time he and Yosemite Sam played a game of chicken in throwing a lighted fuse into each other's ship's powder rooms. After Sam's ship was blown up, he swam to Bugs' ship and threw a fuse into the powder room, only to panic and swim off over the horizon when Bugs refused to fetch it. Bugs opened the door and showed the powder room to the audience, noting "talcum powder doesn't explode!" That was before he found himself soaring and falling through the air with the pieces of his shattered ship, and admitting "I could be wrong, you know!" Or the time Bugs was laughing at his foe for giving up the battle with him because his missus phoned him and ordered him home pronto--"It's clear who wears the pants in that family!" Only a moment later, a henpecked Bugs is heading home himself when his own pants-wearing wife makes the scene (the only cartoon where Bugs is shown as being married)!

Of course, Chuck Jones tried to build symphathy for Bugs by never having him be the aggressor. However, one weakness Bugs always showed was when circumstances had him pitted against a character who wasn't a villianous bully, but instead was somebody who couldn't help arousing even his sympathy, Bugs would suddenly find it difficult living up to his "Bad Boy" image. That classic cartoon in which he tried to haplessly cope with a Chilly Willy-like penguin and a Humphrey Bogaert characters is the perfect example. Or that cartoon when the drunk stork delivered Bugs to a mother kangeroo, and Bugs told her he was having no part of being her baby. The kangeroo breaks into weeping, and Bugs is only able to go a few steps before he reluctantly starts shuffling back.... If it were well done, trapping Bugs in situations where he knows in his heart of hearts that outsmarting the foe isn't the thing to do could be very funny.