1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Bugs and the gang "get with the times" or stay "classic"?

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by CartoonSage, Oct 13, 2007.

?

Can the Looney Tunes be truely resurected again?

1. No! Never! The Looney Tunes are a Godley force that can be recreated the same way again!

31.6%
  2. With the right talent and ideas we can make Looney Tunes TV shows/shorts in the with the same classi

68.4%
  1. Jyose

Jyose Member

In a perfect world, we'd be seeing Looney Tunes cartoons on Adult Swim or some other prime-time venue with stories and satires on par with South Park. Getting with the times does not mean getting "hip", at most, all they need to do is adapt to current situations and attitudes. I'd have loved to see Bugs sadistically insulting and confusing Osama Bin laden or Daffy schmoosing politics with Dubya, but alas, it's probably too late.

2. Joe

Joe Active Member

Well, Disney seems to be slowly warming up to the idea starting with a Goofy short in front of "Enchanted" and a few others slated for future releases. The big difference here, though, is that we'll likely just be seeing one or two a year and only select movies.

I don't think the classic Looney Tunes really dealt with political issues much. This is of course excluding the brief period of WWII-era cartoons, which coincided with the boom of film propaganda in the rest of the world. As much as I enjoy a majority of those cartoons, making cartoons in the same vien in today's society would be much less acceptable.

3. Ghostbuster Man

Ghostbuster Man "Batman's my Cousin"

I'd admit, some of the old shorts are a bit dated, but trying to modernize classic franchises only leads to trouble. Bah Humduck was good, but like the Duck Dodgers show, it only focused on Daffy's ego and that led to the show inevitable cancellation. If Warner Bros. focused what made all the great WB animation franchises such a legendary stable in the animation world maybe sickos like Maxwell Atoms and Seth McFarline won't dominate the airwaves.

I'm just saying that the younger generations should respect all the great things that came before them and not dismiss them as poor renditions of times gone by cause in this day and age we need classic animation like the Looney Tunes to keep us from killing ourselves from the madness of the world.

4. Master Toon

Master Toon Active Member

I don't know if I said this before but maybe they can be modernized but not gangstanized. Duck Dodgers is a great example of modernization.

5. Steve Carras

Steve Carras SUGAR RUSH!!!!

Cappy, you're right.Sorry. But Bryan was already dead (and Blanc Really made that character his own.)

You know, it';s odd but a lotta of 1950s-60s childrens records didn't always use the proper voices, but this was due to maybe the contract only being signed for the television or theatrical versions (Disney and Hanna-Barbera records, for instance, being separately run just as Warner Bros. different department had their own heads (but ALL had to answer to old J.L.!!! , Walt, and Bill and Joe!!!!).

Tigger, btw, was still done by Winchell in the 70s when these records with radio old-time character actor Sam Edwards, who died in 2004, a year before Paul Winchell did, doing Tigger on those. It was understoof that WInchell would go on b eing Tigger on records while Sam Edwards would do this voice on records. There are Flinstone records made during the shows oriignal run with Henry Corden as Fred before he later permanently took over the role from Al Reed (1977) and Daws Butler as Barney (a role that, on Warner cartoons like "The Honeymousers" trilogy and "Half fare hare" and early "Yogi" , Butler know and have down pat!)

BTW Lux Radio Theatre in the 40s recreated many motion pictures, often with a different cast! For instance, there is a Wizard of Oz starring Judy Garland (just like in the 1939 MGM immortal classic theatrical) as Dorothy BUT instead of Frank Morgan as Oz (due to his dying in 1949, a year earlier-this was 1950), someone else did the voice. A few familiar voices (Hans Conreid, Herbert Vigran,etc.) reprised some of Dorothy's friends from the movie! Some of these I;m not familiar with (was mentioned on an unrelated forum, some of whose members post here.)

:cool:

6. ROBOTRON

ROBOTRON 100% Pure Robot!

The classics rule.

When a toon can transcend 50 or 60 years and still make you laugh/entertain you...thats true greatness. I suspect most of the toons made in the past 10 years won't be remembered by next week less lone in 50 years...nor will it still be funny.

People rave over garbage like "out of jimmy's head"...i think it is a monstrosity. Most toons like Camp Lazlo (UGH) and the like will never be equal or better than the bugs bunny classics.

A Few Toons like Pinky and the Brain and Ren & Stimpy might some of the only (funny) toons we'll remember 20 years from now.

7. Jyose

Jyose Member

Worst case scenario: Bugs and the gang are aged down into middle school students and face childhood problems such as bullies and tests. I would cry if we got another "Baby Looney Tunes"

Well, I think Spongebob, South Park, and the Simpsons are all likely to go down in history the same way Bugs and the looney tunes gang did.

Personally, I think the best way to get the Looney tunes back is to start with a Bugs Bunny show(because he's generally considered the leader). Did Bugs ever have any skits or characters the way Daffy did with Duck Dodgers?

8. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

Bugs was always just Bugs. Even when he was placed in alternate times he was just Bugs battling whatever the villain of the time period was. Daffy would become a swashbuckler, a cop, or whatever, depending on the era.

9. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Something like that already happened. It was called Tiny Toon Adventures.

10. Jyose

Jyose Member

Weren't the Tiny Toons college students? The tiny toons for the most part were original characters. Although obviously child versions of their respective mentors, but they were unique entities none the less.

What I'm talking about is Bugs himself turning 13 and going to .... Mel Blanc Middle school where he is picked on by Yosemite Sam or something.

11. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

No. The Tiny Toons were basically teenagers; they were all around 13-14 years old, save for Sweetie and Sneezer. The name of their school was Acme Looniveristy, but despite the name, it wasn't a college. They had a prom in one episode; most colleges don't do proms.

Again, we've already seen that. Buster Bunny was basically Bugs in middle school, and he was picked on by Montana Max, who was Yosemite Sam's heir apparent. There's nothing they could do on a Looney Teens show that hasn't already been tackled on Tiny Toons, so I think we're safe from that.

12. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I agree with Jyose, I don't think TTA is comparable. It was a bunch of original characters with the Looney Tunes tossed in sporadically. A more fair approach would be Baby Looney Tunes.

You know, I've always wondered if the original idea in TTA was to use the LT as actual youngsters rather than new characters, but the decided to change since de-aging the LTs probably felt weird.

13. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

The history of Tiny Toon Adventures according to Wikipedia:

As for Looney Teens, I know it's only hypothetical, but the very idea of something like that scares me. It forces me to remember how in 1991 someone at Hanna Barbera got the idea to dress Yogi Bear in a lime green 80s jacket and a pair of sneakers and call him a teenager for something called Yo, Yogi!. *shudders*

14. Jyose

Jyose Member

I see what you mean there. For what it was, though, Tiny Toons was pretty darn good.

I don't remember "Yo, Yogi!", but I do remember "Pup named Scooby-Doo" and "Flintstones Kids" the latter two were almost tolerable. I think all of us can agree that Looney Teens is a worse idea than Loonatics Unleashed and should never see the light of day. It reminds me of those 90s T-shirts... you know the ones.

Here's an even scarier one.
    Bugs, Daffy and the gang are portrayed as working men and women in sitcom a-la "The Simpsons"

15. ROBOTRON

ROBOTRON 100% Pure Robot!

:sweat: - Bugs also did a couple movies with Micheal Jordan which I think were terrible. I know some people liked them, but I did not.:sad:

16. Goldstar Neo

Actually, Bugs only did 1 movie with MJ, "Space Jam". The rest were all Nike commercials that led to the creation of the movie.

17. Gary L Thompson

Gary L Thompson Active Member

Well, yes, though Disney was the first to throw in the towel on theatrical shorts on a regular basis, the studio has continued to make shorts on an irregular basis through the years. The trouble with that approach, though, is that the rerun potention is near zilch, except as an extra on DVDs. You need at least a decade or two of a 13-26 episode yearly cartoon output (at least a majority devotd to a star character, or at least to several popular characters) to provide a strong package of weekday cartoon shows for TV. (Ironically, Disney has never provided a cartoon package to TV, to my knowledge, the use of its classic shorts was limited to incorporation into Disney shows like "Wonderful World of Disney", "Mickey Mouse Club" and "The Mouse Factory.)

Why is it that when you use that expression, I keep getting this picture of Rocky and Mugsy? (Maybe because Friz Freleng genuinely knew how to "gangstanize" a character).

You have not really heard "It's a Wonderful Life" until you listen to the radio version with the voice of Elmer Fudd playing the role of Clarence!

Well, Bugs was front-and-center of the TV specials Chuck Jones and Friz Freleng, as well as "Space Jam" and "Looney Tunes, Back in Action", but nobody seemed to hit on the idea of making him the star of a TV show like was done with Daffy Duck, Sylvester and Tweety, and the Tasmanian Devil. Considering how well those shows worked out, I guess it is rather surprising it hasn't been tried with WB's biggest star.

It's not as if Bugs hasn't been able to play a role on occasion (the kidding of Curuso and like ilk in "What's Opera Doc?" is a classic example, he's also done things like parodying Elliot Ness and Superman--he even played the role of Elmer J. Fudd, millionaire in one cartoon!).

18. Scythemantis

Scythemantis With Soar-Throat Ghost

Now, wait a minute...The SIMPSONS? Violent, crass and psycho? Though a 400+ episode run obviously has some isolated exceptions, the Simpsons has always been a show the whole family can watch. It's only marginally more adult or intense than classic cartoons and nowhere near as "gross" as Ren and Stimpy. The Simpsons in earlier seasons has told some of the most sophisticated and creative stories in television history. There is little to nothing vulgar about the series.

I'd say Tiny Toons/Animaniacs failed to capture the spirit of Looney Tunes because they were simply...unintelligent. Not crass, but not witty at all, either. They were fairly infantile shows.

19. Goldstar Neo

Well, in TTA and A!'s defense, both shows were aimed at children. However, due to the fact when when A! was in it's hey day, it was enjoyed largely by adults over 24, coupled with the fact that people still remember both series fondly even nearly a decade after they have finished production, I'd hardly describe either series as a "failure". TTA and especially A! were both better written shows than half of the crap that's on now, IMHO. And Baby Looney Tunes was far more juvenile than either of them.

20. Jyose

Jyose Member

Well... it is called "BABY" Looney Tunes.

A!, while being 'just another kids cartoon' did what it could to capture some more complex stories. Like Wakko going to hell, for example.

Tiny Toons.. I don't know, while it never captured anything beyond slapstick comedy, it was still pretty good in it's own right. It carved out a niche without relying on it's ties to the real Looney Tunes, which is something.

So, how would a Bugs show work?

If I remember correctly, Duck Dodgers and Sylvester/Tweety were both full half hours while Taz was for the most part two 11 minute shorts with several little sketches in between.