1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Bugs and the gang "get with the times" or stay "classic"?

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by CartoonSage, Oct 13, 2007.

?

Can the Looney Tunes be truely resurected again?

1. No! Never! The Looney Tunes are a Godley force that can be recreated the same way again!

31.6%
  2. With the right talent and ideas we can make Looney Tunes TV shows/shorts in the with the same classi

68.4%
  1. CartoonSage

CartoonSage What's the matter, Scared?

I've been watching alot of classic LT and MM shorts lately and I have to say when you think about it, these shorts are STILL great!! STILL!! I can sit and enjoy dozens and dozens of shorts just like I did when I was a kid and I don't get tired of them until my body gets tired from exhaustion. These cartoons have been around since the 30's and they are still great to watch, but I've noticed something: the more "modern" adoptions of the Looney Tunes aren't as timeless, I mean they're still entertaining but they don't have NEARLY as much longevity as the classic shorts. Why is this? Will we ever be able to make classic LT and MM shorts in the same caliber again? Not to mention, when the LT crew tries to get 'modernized" it just feels wrong.

What do you guys think?

2. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Well, just about every time the Looney Tunes have been resurrected for modern audiences, it hasn't gone over well with the classic enthusiasts (with "Tiny Toon Adventures" and the Ford/Lennon shorts being the happy exceptions). It'd be the wisest move to just bring back the classic shorts and let a whole new generation discover them - they still hold up, even 75 years later.

I admit that with the right talent, you could probably make new Looney Tunes cartoons that are as good as the classic ones. But that hasn't happened in a long time, and I don't think Warner Bros. understands what made those classic cartoons great - they were constructed from a group of people with unbridled creative control, not in a boardroom with dozens of suits trying to be politically correct.

3. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

If by "get with the times" you mean should the Looney Tunes characters start wearing baseball caps turned sideways, listening to rap music and carrying around iPhones wherever they go, then my answer would be no. I understand that it's kind of necessary to have your characters "adapt" to the changing times (Bugs was always more "with it" in terms of popular culture than say, Elmer), but there are 2 problems with making you characters overly hip:

1) You come off like a poseur. You're just throwing in the references/allusions to sound cool. And...

2) You end up dating yourself ferociously.

Even the original directors knew not to throw in too many jokes relating to "now" that it took a couple of months for one their shorts to make it to the screen.

But to answer the question, I think that the Looney Tunes could be resurrected if the right directors are working on them. They would have to be people who actually care about what they're working on and the characters they are working with, not just a bunch of hotshot directors who are just in it to make a quick buck and see their names on the screen.

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

This subject actually got me thinking lately. When you think about it, the original Looney Tunes had a LOT of references to the time that are pretty much lost on modern audiences. Besides caricatures of classic Hollywood movie stars and singers and references to old songs ("Open the door! You notice I didn't say 'Richard'?"), songs like "A Cup of Coffee, a Sandwich, and You", "Ain't She Sweet" and "Forty Second Street" aren't exactly common public knowledge in this day and age. Their melodies may ring a bell to cartoon watchers, but I doubt many, outside of cartoon enthusiasts and those with an affinity for '30s-50s music, will know what songs they are, or more importantly, that they weren't created specifically for these shorts.

Oddly though, even with some references lost on most modern viewers, MM/LT haven't become dated. I suppose this is because of their execution, perfectly blending obscure references with timeless material that an audience of any generation can relate to and find enjoyable. But also, because a lot of these references are so "ancient", finding out what they mean is part of the fun. It sort of gives you a window into the times, not to mention an appreciation for them.

5. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

I think the teams that worked on TTA, Animaniacs and Freakazoid did a decent job of capturing what Termite Terrace did back then. Yes, the pop culture references are dated, but back when they did them they were pretty sharp jabs, as well as breaking of the fourth wall and referencing the Hollywood lifestyle and business. It could be done again, but they'd have to be very well written.

6. Brandon Pierce

Brandon Pierce Summer Glau Fanatic

I think things should be fairly balanced. Hell, I don't care if they spoof current trends, or make fun of pop music. As long as they're FUNNY, and in character.

7. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

If they make pop culture referances to today's stuff than sure why not but if they are walking around like gangstas then I'll pass

8. Steve Carras

Steve Carras SUGAR RUSH!!!!

I pretty much side with others.I think Tiny Toon Adventures is TOO violent and Plucky (i.e.,baby "Muppet Babies" Daffy) IMO is another anti-Bob Clampett slap since it is another attempt only to acknowledge Chuck JOnes or (the occasional use by others of the mean Daffy; see "Why is later daffyu disliked"(sic) from a few years ago here on this forum).

9. DrTooth

DrTooth Active Member

I feel, if done right, you can keep the characters their great classic selves and make them more updated without making it a farce.

I personally loved all the LT based shows from Tazmania to (what I've seen of) Duck Dodgers. Now they really did a great job on shows like that...and Tiny Toons. But when it came to stuff like baby Looney Tunes and Loonatics Unleashed they were strictly going for cash instead of ideas. Baby Looney Tunes lifted way too many elements from the show they ripped off (muppet babies, even going so far as to make Granny in the nanny role), and Loonatics? Terrible terrible idea. trying to make them a serious superhero group didn't work. Reducing Bugs Bunny to Spiderman/Raphael type Sarcastic barbs? no thank you. If I want to see a show where they're superheroes, I want to see the same kind of humor they had in the older cartoons.

Personally, I don't think we have to shove Rap and iphones into Bugs and Daffy cartoons to make them more "now"! This isn't a 1990's T-shirt, you know (remember those?) You can ad a few modern things while still making it timeless. it's all about Balance.

10. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

Basically do what the silver age shows did and crack jokes about current pop culture, Hollywood trends, etc. If Animaniacs was still on, Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan would receive no mercy in getting ribbed.

11. Master Toon

Master Toon Active Member

How come everyone thinks "get with the times" means act like gangsters?

12. DrTooth

DrTooth Active Member

Anvils a plenty, I could surely see.

because that's what 50 year old white TV execs think is "hip"- especially if they talk in jiggy funky fresh dated slang from the 90's no one uses any mizzle.

13. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

I would say that Cartoon Cartoons like Dexter, Bravo and PPG also captured the spirit of the Looney Tunes with the culture references (basically 60's-80's), as well as the character dynamics. The trick would be to create stuff like that with the LT characters. What makes it difficult is that the LT characters are in some way fixed to their own time (mostly animals and hunters doing what comes naturally, where cartoons have since become much more people-oriented), while the new characters and their premises are more suitable for our time. Giving Elmer a laboratory, and having Bugs break into it every day, or having Pepe LePew in Johhny Bravo's role; or three of the LT's as modern child superheroes would not have worked. But I'll agree that Tiny Toons and Animaniacs really did a great job, and it's a crime that this stuff only made a flash in the pan appearance on CN, and then disappeared into cartoon never, never land.

14. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

But were the Looney Tunes upgraded for the future with Kids WB's 2 season running of "Loonatics Unleashed"?

15. Steve Carras

Steve Carras SUGAR RUSH!!!!

Again, I hate to disagree with those fans but IMO Tiny Toon Adventures & Animanics did not recapture anything but Ren and Stimpy/Simpsons grossness--too violent, too crass, too psycho, and too much of Plucky Duck being like the 1966-1997 Daffy or at least the 1959-1997 Daffy! Just another slam at Bob Clampett, their actualy creator, and an attempt IMHO to hold Chuck Jones and nobdy else up in terms of the concepts high.

Josie and the Pussycats sure ain't mah cuppa tea but the diva in that series, Miss Alexandra, Cabot the Third, at least acted in character (and much more so than her The Archie Show counterpart Veronice). Likewise Fred Flinstone, in Hanna Barbera land.

Plucky/Daffy was (wrongly) turned into a villian.Eric, you yourself did make however a good point on the old Termite Terrace Traading Post (the Toonzone one that closed in 2004), that Jones made Daffy too much of a loser (and IMO too much o'that wound upin Tiny Toon Adventures,Space Jam,Bah Humduck---heck, even Looney Tunes: Back in Action.)

16. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

No, all Loonatics did was take Looney Tunes lookalikes and plonked them into a futuristic setting in order to cash in on the superhero fad. Trying to be cool by emulating a particular fad genre isn't the same thing as trying to bring classic characters into modern times. The 2 are far too often mistaken to mean the same thing.

#16 Silverstar, Oct 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2007
  17. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

The only way Loonatics would have worked is if they did it in Freakazoid fashion, but Freakazoid already did it.

18. CartoonSage

CartoonSage What's the matter, Scared?

Yeah, your right about that. That is one misconception that many people make about Daffy. What people seem to forget is that Daffy wasn't always the egotistical "arch enemy" of Bugs Bunny, Chuck Jones only did that to give these characters a personality as well as a connecting relationship with each other, as opposed to Clampett's Daffy who was nothing more than a wacky, bouncy, antagonizer. Chuck Jones' Daffy (as well as nearly EVERYTHING else he touches) was the most well received by his audience, and as a result became the most memorable, it's exactacly the reason why nearly everyone remembers Elmer Fudd as a hunter, even though he had many other roles/jobs, and because these things were so memorable whenever people think of characters like Daffy and Elmer they immediately think of Daffy as a narcissist and Elmer as a hunter, so much so that they wouldn't think of these characters in any other way and as a result has rubbed off onto the present Daffy as well as his idolizer Plucky, although there were times when Plucky did the "w-hoo w-hoo" thing too, but still...

Now THAT I would watch.

19. Joe

Joe Active Member

Well, I personally would prefer it if they didn't bother dusting off the Looney Tunes cast to make modern adaptations. I think the more modern stuff lacks the edge of the classic material, and the kids demographic is more closely targeted with the modern cartoons. Sure there are some decent series made with the Looney Tunes cast, but I never found them to be anything special.

20. DrTooth

DrTooth Active Member

Ugh. They're cartoons being cartoons, making smug references and all that. I feel it captures the essense, to the actual item. There are different versions of every character, and they were all interpreted by different animators and writers. If Plucky resembles Chuck Jones Daffy (Which I think was an excellent spin on the character, preventing him from staying too oddball with new directors, who could never capture Clampett or Avery anyway), then it's because he resembles the Daffy Duck that is most popular by WB's standards.

They aren't dressed up as gangstas or as cheap anime wannabees. They were what Warners cartoons were famous for.

Loonatics was a horrible idea. Look at Duck Dodgers. They were able to put a modern twist on the character, all the while, making him a super hero, and not changing anything. Now, loonatics, they tried to be a little lighter in the second season, trying to put classic characters as villains, but it still was a piece of crap. I will give them credit for one thing. They did a pretty sound reference to Parliment/Funkadelic/ George Clinton. Other than that, poo poo.

Now, way I see a Looney Tune super hero show, they have powers, yes. But in a way that Inspector gadget has gadgets. They don't always work, and they get them in more trouble than their worth. Bugs may have good control, but I could see Daffy screwing it up big time. Who do they fight? Other Looney Tunes, and the inevitable DC comics villains in some sort of crossover. It's a comedy superhero show that borrows cues from other comedy superheroes like The Mighty heroes or something.