1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Should AS drop Family Guy and American Dad?

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Zorak Masaki, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

While I understand that the Adult Swim reruns were very important to Family Guy's return, I think its time for it to leave Adult Swim, as its reruns are already being aired on TBS and Syndication anyway, and all it is now is just filler for the block. Ditto American Dad (King of the Hill, Cleveland Show and Bobs Burgers can stay as i dont believe they're being aired anywhere, and KOTH is pretty much the only show they can air at 8/7 central). I'd much rather they replace those slots with something like Venture Brothers, Rick and Morty (they're pretty much the most critically acclaimed AS shows, why not give them a weeknight slot), or even replace them with a nightly 2 hour version of Toonami.

2. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!
    Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

Excellent point - Family Guy is no longer exclusive to FOX and Adult Swim, it's EVERYWHERE. It's no longer special to Adult Swim. And it's seriously overplayed.

.....but how would they fill those slots? Adult Swim just takes up too many hours in the evening. They really need to give some hours back to Cartoon Network.

3. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Disecting both FG and AD from Adult Swim sounds pretty risky, considering that they have been some of a good source of their schedule and ratings as well.

4. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

Family Guy isn't overplayed on AS though. 2 hours a night and the second hour is just a rerun of the first later in the night.

Also, to the first post, both Cleveland Show and Bobs Burgers are on TBS as well.

Adult Swim will not get rid of these shows because they get really good ratings. Unless they lose the license, but I doubt that happens anytime soon. Adult Swims ratings would struggle big time without them IMO.

5. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler The Ruler of the Watchdogs

As much as I hate Family Guy (I can tolerate with American Dad, though), both shows aren't clearly going nowhere anytime soon. They still bring great ratings to AS, thus AS will struggle if they both left.

6. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

I think we have different interpretations on how much equals "overplayed".

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. StorytellerMJ5

Guess so, but 2 hours a night isn't really overplayed. Bobs Burgers is on for an hour and a half and there's no way that's overplayed. Plus it helps that in both cases the airings are broken up throughout the night.

Overplayed would be like 4 hours straight for Adult Swim.

8. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

I agree. They should. Adult Swim played these types of shows (Family Guy, Simpsons, Futurama, King of the Hill, American Dad) for years. Literally. You would think that since they're not exclusives and can be watched anytime anywhere on demand people would have enough of them. Yet they are still doing decent numbers and because of that Adult Swim airs them even though they could devote those slots to something more original - new third party shows, old third party shows, their own shows, more anime, etc. But no. Glue it is.

@StorytellerMJ5 2 hours is 4 episodes in a row every night. That is overplayed.

9. StorytellerMJ5

But its not 4 episodes in a row. 1 hour and then a repeat of that hour later in the night.

10. BlooMac

BlooMac Well-Known Member

You're complaining about two hours of Family Guy (half of it being a repeat in the middle of the night, when barely anyone watches), when the same channel is airing 5 hours of Teen Titans GO! during the day.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

As much as I think they're overplaying the Fox shows, I'll concede that they're too much of a ratings hit for Adult Swim to let go of them.

I think it would be better if they downsized the shows instead of dropping them outright. I think they would be better in half-hour increments as opposed to a full hour. That way, they wouldn't hog up so much of the network.

12. Toonfan1999

Toonfan1999 New Member

Hell Yes! These Fox shows take up too much of Adult Swim's schedule. They should air more of their original stuff like Harvey Birdman, Rick and Morty, and Brak on weekdays instead of weekends.

13. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

The Fox shows have always been a grey area for AS.

I think the bigger problem is AS is too big to just be a block anymore. AS in practice is now more like a built in sister network.

Personally I think what all this means is AS should become it's own network at some point, but that opens up it's own can of worms.

#13 AnotherRandomGuy, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  14. Toonfan1999

Toonfan1999 New Member

I do see your point most Adult Swim shows are only 15 minutes long. But at the same time, they can expand Toonami on the weekends by airing Toonami for the entire block.

15. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!

A lot of the "We need the FOX shows to help fill out the schedule" problems would be solved if they'd just bring back Toonami Monday through Friday.

Just give it a "Midnight Run" at least, one hour for action anime, before resuming the endless drivel of FOX reruns (if they must keep Family Guy, that is...)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Toonfan1999

Toonfan1999 New Member

Exactly! Adult Swim needs more variety instead of Family Guy and Black Family Guy.

17. StorytellerMJ5

And it seems like there's a zero percent chance of that ever happening.

Also, Adult Swim's variety isn't too bad. Tonight they're airing like 10 different shows.

18. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Actually, TBS also runs American Dad, and the MyNetworkTV affiliate in Albany NY has the rights to Cleveland Show, King of the Hill, & a former [as] property, Futurama, among other things, so King & Cleveland are in syndication.

I'd rather be bold and put Toonami in prime time as a bridge to [as], but that's just me.

19. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

I doubt it. Besides, the dog in my avatar is the reason I started watching the show more often since November '13. Sure, he temporarily replaced Brian then, but he's my favorite character.

20. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler The Ruler of the Watchdogs

One FOX cartoon that Adult Swim really needs to drop is the mediocre Cleveland Show. It wasn't popular to begin with (unlike the other FOX cartoons), and it's just too lame and boring in comparison to nearly all of AS' lineup. And it's not just because I hate it, but nobody really talks about it.