1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Shinn Asuka- A breath of fresh air or the worst lead ever? (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by HellCat, Apr 29, 2007.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Well he became a red shirt, so he must've had it together when he joined the military. I figure that he was stable, and old wounds were reopened when war started up again and he also had to deal with Orb after Cagalli's appearence.

2. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

He was okay but there were missed opportunities galore with him. And towards the end Kira steals the show big time, and Shinn and everyone else are essentially props to be swatted out of the way.

Having everyone who disagrees with Kira and Lacus be the bad guys is a sign that Kira/Lacus are Mary Sues, by the way. Just so you know.

Here's a missed opportunity no one brought up: when I first heard that Shinn was gonna be the main character, and that he was originally from Orb, I immediately thought 'Wow, a Natural fighting for the Coordinators'. Imagine the dynamics of having a Natural fight for a Coordinator-dominated society. Imagine how Coordinators would treat a Natural in their midst. How Naturals would think of Shinn for fighting for their enemy.

But unfortunately Shinn is unquestionably a Coordinator. Damn.

#22 macattack, Apr 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2007
  3. Conan-san

Conan-san Active Member

Wha? No no, Shin Asuka was not the lead of Gundam Seed D. You see Kira? HE WAS THE LEAD.

AND HE WAS CRAP AS THE LEAD.

4. Will Sturnick

Will Sturnick J-Pop Addict

One could assume that Dullindal did what he could. While yes, he wasn't in power for most of Shinn's training and such. But I don't find it hard to believe that he was aware of Shinn and his potential and wanted to put him in a position where he could do the most for him. With Rey being with Shinn throughout his entire training, he could have been reporting possible pawns to Dullindal. Granted, I have no proof to back this up, just speculating.
    I mean, Dullindal did it with Athrun and Shinn later in the series. So it is not too much of a stretch to believe that he may have been doing for more of Shinn's military career. Just in a more behind the scenes capacity.

5. Duke

Duke Truer Words Were Never Spoken

Oh yes, I have no doubt Durandal was responsible for Shinn being a Minerva crew member and pilot of the Impulse.

Durandal knew that, though. Even if he didn't figure the EA would pressue Orb (thus sending up Cagalli to the PLANTs), he knew somehow Logos would start the war up again and that eventually Shinn would fight Orb (since I find it hard to believe he didn't know the Seirans were partners with Logos). The only way Shinn wouldn't have gotten pissed off and angry when the war began would be if the war never happened.

6. KuwabaraTheMan

KuwabaraTheMan Active Member

I'm kind of...failing to see your point.

Gilbert knew about all of this, and it fit into his plans. As far as the rest of the people in power were concerned, this probably would have never become a huge issues.

7. Duke

Duke Truer Words Were Never Spoken

That Shinn had way too many mental problems to become an elite soldier. Just looking at his past history would have been cause for concern and a preliminary psychiatric test at the very least.

That's another problem I have, Gilbert's power of persuasion. I know he's really, really good at that, but the way it goes, if Gilbert didn't make a couple costly mistakes (namely, trying to kill Lacus), everybody in the whole world would be mesmerized by the guy. Even Hitler didn't get 100% of the people in his own country behind him.

And you're trying to tell me that not even Shinn's direct superiors saw a problem with him during training?

8. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Who's to say Shinn showed signs of instability during training or directly prior to his enlistment? Its true he went through a horrible experience, but given past conflicts he surely wasn't the only ZAFT soldier who had lost family to violence.

As for Durandal it was easy for him to secure coordinator support because of the Armory One attack and the Earth Alliance scapegoating ZAFT for the Junius 7 drop. From there he played a very smart game by fighting a restrained war at first and conquering areas of the Earth unduly oppressed by the EA's tactics. Between exposing LOGOS and setting up ZAFT as a liberator from EA rule, I can see how Durandal amassed the kind of support that he did.

9. Kheito

Kheito New Member

I agree with you, Shinn has a unique, tragic, and interesting storyline. I'm really upset about the ending. Until the very end they haven't even give him a fine closure. Like I mean, Shinn played a big roll with Durandal's victory. He fought on his side no matter how things gets screwed up, believing that Durandal's decision will bring out peace. Yet in the end they just let Durandal die without letting Shinn shows his realization and voice out his side or clears out things with him... I just wish that they gave Shinn a fair chance :(