She makes more than me, OH NO

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Peter Paltridge, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

Shouldn't TV characters have stopped acting like this a long time ago?

I know, it's Chuck Lorre, who isn't exactly a progressive dude, but does anyone really do this anymore? Who honestly flips out in the 21st century if a woman is making more than a man?

2. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

It shouldn't be much of a problem. But a lot of the time it is.
    The way couples maintain separate financial lives these days is kind of weird. With some couples it's like they all but label their food, but you get the feeling maybe they are keeping track of it in their heads. If things aren't approximately equal it can make a difference because if you're doing those kinds of calculations you don't want to look like you're taking advantage. Frankly, if it's the guy that's contributing less it's a more uncomfortable situation.
    It's far better then the days when the man would die or take off and the woman was left destitute but there are just as many reasons for money conflicts now as in I Love Lucy.

This reminds me of a question I had about BBT.
    What I wondered about is how can Penny, a waitress, afford an apartment across the hall from Sheldon and Leonard who can't afford the apartment without being roommates?
    Each of them should be earning several times what Penny makes. Either they are really tight having a large chunk from each paycheck automatically put away in mutual funds and IRA's or they are really bad with money, blowing it all on comics and stuff.
    Or Penny gets huge tips.

3. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem Banned

Compatriot,

its an understandable feeling whether you have a lot of pride or very low self-esteem. some men/women do feel obligated to be the main breadwinner of the family so it comes as quite blow when their partner is paying for most of the rent, groceries, etc. other couples want to spend fifty-fifty on everything and if one of them is making a lot more that may not be possible all the time.

i don't watch the show myself but most sitcoms and television in general tries to create some kind of conflict for couples so its nothing new.

4. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

I just assumed it was Sheldon being an idiot and wasting their funds. Or just to give a reason for Leonard and Sheldon to be together. Or just for comedy, I dunno.

5. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

I don't know, if I lived with someone I'd probably just be happy if our combined paychecks could make ends meet more than being concerned about who made more.

6. BartWinkle

BartWinkle Active Member

I wouldn't be concerned in the least if I had a female companion who made more than I did.

7. reflection01

reflection01 Active Member

Penny has a much smaller one bedroom apartment.

8. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    I don't even watch nor care about this show, honestly - but DEAR GOD, WHY is this becoming a thing (AGAIN) in the first place?

Misogyny like this is simply disgusting and needs to be stamped out, not used as an excuse for conflict creation, which is only encouraging the issue!

Bottom line - if your show is bad to begin with and finds itself relying on misogyny like this - CANCEL YOURSELF and leave the business.