1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sesame Street's Maria Says "Adios" After 44 Years

Discussion in 'Toonzone News Comments' started by Peter Paltridge, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

2. slai

slai Reporter
    Reporter

The show will NOT deal with Maria's retirement whatsoever. Her character will simply disappear as have other retired cast members like Olivia, Linda, Susan, Miles, and every other owner of Hooper's Store after David, whom they at least mentioned moved to help his grandma. Susan has returned a couple of times for special episodes, and Sonia Manzano has said that Maria might too, especially in lieu of the show's 50th anniversary.

I admit I don't like how characters just disappear now, but they already did an excellent job with Mr. Hooper's death. Having watched Sesame Street all my life, it is eerie they just 'forget' people that used to inhabit the neighborhood.

3. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

Maria's retiring? Oh! This is something I wasn't expecting.

4. Daffyfan2002

Daffyfan2002 $enior member

What gets me is the fact that they're just going to have her leave without any explanation whatsoever. Maria's been on the show for as long as I've been watching, plus quite a few story arcs involved her. Then there's her spouse Luis. How would he explain where his wife is? I think this at least deserves some kind of reference on the show.

5. slai

slai Reporter
    Reporter

They did the same with Susan when she officially retired/left. Gordon never acknowledged Susan's disappearance whatsoever or even their son, Miles. Gabi left 2 seasons ago, and Maria and Luis never mentioned what happened to their daughter. If you watch any new episode of Sesame Street, the old adults barely appear, so one is never sure if they're actually gone or not. Luis will carry on without her without saying anything about her. They've rarely appeared together even now.

6. Daffyfan2002

Daffyfan2002 $enior member

Actually, I think Susan is still on the show. Isn't she still in the credits? I know she still appears a few times each season. But maybe I missed something. I'll check out Muppet Wiki.