1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Series that should've had a chance on ASA/Toonami years ago

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Golden Geek, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

So this thread is a bit different, and will likely mainly appeal to fans who remember the old Toonami/ASA. Instead of thinking about shows you'd like to see on Toonami now, what are some shows that should've been on Toonami/ASA but wouldn't be likely to work now due to them passing their prime?

Angelic Layer - If you look at old Toon Zone threads, you can see that a lot of people wanted this show on Toonami in 2003/2004, when it was a hot new thing. It could've brought some great girl power to the block back then.

Slayers - Slayers belonged on Toonami, yet never got the chance to be on there due to Fox Kids snatching up the rights (and then doing nothing with them). It wouldn't make it on today because it's too old and too tame, though Cartoon Network Japan seems to disagree.

The Vision of Escaflowne - Another show that really should've been on Toonami back in the day, was snatched by Fox Kids and turned into a big joke. Canada's YTV basically got the run we should have got. Even though the Toonami crew really likes it, it's older than Bebop by two years, so there's no chance of even the new dub/remaster showing up on Toonami today.

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I agree that Slayers would have been a great choice for the original Toonami. It would have fit nicely on the block and could have provided some light hearted fun with being a comedy action anime. It's a shame that it didn't happen. The first three series could have gotten some nice exposure by airing on Toonami and we probably would have gotten Revolution/Evolution-R when the block was first revived. Considering how they have a history of getting shows connected to some of their classic shows, or reairing them like what will happen with Outlaw Star, I could have definitely seen them going for those new Slayers series.

That promo from Cartoon Network Japan is kind of funny in the sense that they also recognize how similar the leads in Mighty Magiswords are to Lina and Gourry design wise. Seriously, I'm surprised that the creator apparently didn't mention any inspiration from Slayers from what I've heard about him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

Initial D had been considered at one point according to Jason on an old Pre-Flight stream (the one about racing anime, of course) and should have made it on there. Problem is it was likely when the crappy Tokyopop dub existed if I remember right and showing it with that horrendous replaced soundtrack...no. No.

If Harmony Gold wasn't so terrible I feel like anything Macross could have made it to the block, probably the movie edition of Plus as some kind of movie night special. They could have swapped out Robotech for the original SDF series if the redub had happened earlier too. Hell, 7 could have worked seeing how over the top it was, like the G Gundam of the franchise in some ways.

Magic Knight Rayearth might have worked as a Toonami show too, there was supposed to be a US TV dub once that was horribly edited...but I think it would be better off uncut on there.

Also, GaoGaiGar deserved a chance on Toonami. Would have actually meant a completed dub (screw you Media Blasters!) and it could have been as much of a hit as G Gundam with all the over the top yelling and attacks.

#3 Zeether, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  4. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Could Gundam X have worked on Toonami with editing?

5. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

Probably. It's similar to Wing in some aspects and I hear it was supposed to be a Western marketed series.

They were going to get Turn A Gundam at one point, and I wish that had worked out seeing as a lot of people consider it one of the best non-UC series.

6. Hellfish

Hellfish New Member

S.W.A.T Kats could've been a perfect fit on the old Toonami, I don't get why it wasn't on the block back in the day.

7. ZZenigundam

ZZenigundam Member

SWAT Kats used to be on right before Toonami. Talking way back in the Moltar days, at either 3 or 3:30, I forget exactly, but I watched it every day.
    As for this thread, Escaflowne and Zeta Gundam, but they missed the boat on these two years ago. Now it's hopeless. Also, Tekkaman Blade (UPN 9's Technoman), it would have been absolutely perfect for Toonami, particularly in the 97-00 era.

8. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

I know comedy anime hasnt done well on the block (Space Dandy and FLCL aside), but Ranma 1/2 (people were practically begging for it to air on AS as early as 2001) and Excel Saga. The problem with Ranma is that there are too many episodes and it's too old (and most anime fans have seen at least the first episode). Excel on the other hand could possibly work, but there are a lot of jokes/scenes relating to Japanese culture (they'd have to use the pop-up trivia notes), and ep 26 could be problematic (though after shows like King Star King,,).

9. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

A lot of the Sci-Fi channel movies/shows/OAVs from the 90's might've fit on early Toonami. In fact, "Ronin Warriors" first aired on Sci-Fi Channel around 1996/1997, before airing on Toonami in 1999/2000. I'm thinking of stuff like the "Project A-ko" movies and the "Record of the Lodoss War" series.

Some of the "Harlock Saga" series from the 90's might've worked.

The "Guyver" OAV series might've been interesting, as a "Midnight Run Exclusive"...same with the "Bubblegum Crisis" series or the Dirty Pair OAV's (or maybe the "Dirty Pair Flash" series).

10. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

I always really wanted to watch Baccano. A shame it never aired on AS/Toonami.

Also, Nadia: Secret of Blue Water and Mushishi.

11. VeiledHat

VeiledHat Pineapple from Heck

GIRL POWER!!!!!

The 1995 version Ocean (makers of DBZ's dub) did that one. By 1999 there was a new dub out by Media Blasters. The 1995 version would have been airing during Moltar's tenure.

12. The Watcher

The Watcher Member

According to Toonami's TV tropes, Blue Gender, Pilot Candidate, Slam Dunk, and Giant Robo The Day the Earth Stood Still were considered for the block.

13. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

Blue Gender shouldn't have ever been considered for Toonami considering the amount of gory violence and sex scenes. It's a shame that Turner only made up their mind after Funimation had already started editing the series, which is why early episodes on Adult Swim even had words like 'hell' edited out.

Kids probably would've liked Pilot Candidate better, and it was already edited to a Y7 for Toonami. ASA needed new material, but...geez, not that badly. So yeah, that one belonged on Toonami.

14. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Always never quite right

For a while in 2003, I was under the assumption that Vandread was coming to Adult Swim. I even thought I saw a bump that mentioned they'd picked it up.

Alas, it turned out not to be, and a year later I saw it on one of the Encore channels.

15. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

16. Antonio Bravo

Antonio Bravo IDOL UP!

There was that rumor about Buso Renkin going to be picked up from Adult Swim Action but unfortunately it was false.

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I don't know if they could have aired Revolutionary Girl Utena back in the day based on what I know of the series. It's cool that they wanted to air it just to have some more variety on the block and give the show more exposure, but I don't think it would have worked without some pretty big edits.

18. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

Read or Die: The TV. The follow-up to the OAV Adult Swim once aired. Lots of action and interesting characters, it would have had more of a following had it not aired on G4TechTV instead. The presentation on that channel was not ideal, because they awkwardly cut up and sped up parts of the episodes to fit within their narrowly timed commercial breaks. AS's two-act structure would have been better.

#18 SpaceCowboy, Aug 17, 2017 at 12:05 PM
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017 at 12:24 PM
  19. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

I believe that Elfen Lied was considered for Adult Swim Action, but didn't have a chance to air. Of course, if it were to air on Toonami, they'd blur out any naked breasts on Diclonius girls and put censor bars on gory scenes.