Seldom Seen Episodes

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Dr.Pepper, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

Does anyone here feel that sometimes with a show you watch frequently there is always an episode or two that it feels like you have hardly ever seen? For me, although I watched Ed Edd n Eddy pretty much religiously from 2000 until it ended, it feels like I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen Oath to Ed/Ed-agerated on TV. On a related note, I started watching the show in the summer of 2000, but it wasn't until Memorial Day 2002 when I saw Keeping Up With the Eds. I also seem to recall not seeing Button Yer Ed until after I watched the show for some time.

Going further back I remember an episode of Magic School Bus about sound that took place in a haunted house. My brother had that episode on VHS and for the longest time I legitimately believed that it a DTV special as I had never seen it on TV. It was only after I watched the show for a few years when I actually saw this episode on TV at a friend's house.

2. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Its extremely rare to see the Phineas and Ferb episodes "Ready for the Bettys/The Flying Fishmonger". Ive heard speculation that since Ready for the Bettys is more of a Candace/Stacy episode its not aired that much, but that doesnt explain other candace-heavy episodes like Spa Day or Run Candace Run from airing.

3. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Let's mash it up!

I was late to the party with Dan Vs. but quickly got caught up with the first season. All except for the pilot, "New Mexico."

The Hub wouldn't re-air that episode and I eventually had to wait until the DVD came out to see it.

4. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

The last three episodes of Pokémon: Advanced (season 6) got little airtime. "Win Lose or Drew!" and "The Spheal of Approval" never aired on weekdays on Kids' WB!. "Jump for Joy!" "A Different Kind of Misty" "A PokéBlock Party" and "Watt's with Wattson?" didn't even air in the US at all until Cartoon Network aired them.

The Yu-Gi-Oh! episode "Rise of the Great Beast - Part 2" didn't air at all from its original airdate on Kids' WB! in 2005 till it aired on Toonzai in 2012 (I think). Until 4Kids added it to their website in 2009 (I think), there was no legal way to watch it in the US during that time, as the Waking the Dragons DVDs stopped before it was complete. (Since, it has only aired once more in the US on Vortexx in December 2012 - Nicktoons just started airing season 3.) The same could be said about nearly all of season 5 (sans the Grand Championship arc, "The Intruder" episodes and the "Final Duel" episodes) but they had already been released to DVD shortly after airing.

5. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

I hear that CN almost never airs "The Unicorns Have Got to Go" from Regular Show anymore.

6. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

I'm not a kid anymore so I have little tolerance for reruns, but when I watched Tiny Toons every day on Fox, "Wacko World of Sports" seemed to be repeated every other week while "Fairy Tales of the 90's" was only rarely seen. "Wacko World of Sports" wasn't that great an episode.

The first five episodes from season 2 were VERY rare. The later ones got more airtime ("Henny Youngman Day" got a lot, and that's how everybody started imitating Baby Plucky). I don't think "Kon Ducki" was reran for months, because I missed its original airing and didn't see it until season 3 was going on. I thought it was new.

7. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

This is kind of dated now, but back when The Hub was airing Cosmic Quantum Ray on weekday afternoons, for some reason they almost never seem to run the episode "Unreal Estate". I first saw that episode during a holiday marathon and at the time I thought it was a new episode because I hadn't seen hide nor hair of it before then. Even afterwards, Hub rarely reran that episode for some reason.

One episode of Tiny Toon Adventures that I almost never see airing on the various channels that have aired the show is "Going Places", aka the field trip show featuring the shorts "When You're Hot...", "That's Art, Folks!" and "Slaughterhouse Jive". I only recall seeing that episode once or twice on Fox Kids and each time the series has resurfaced in syndication on various cable networks, this continues to be one of the least frequently repeated TT shows. I never seem to see the episodes "Special Classes Day" or "Music Day" being shown on TV that much either.

8. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Nerd Life

On Rocko's Modern Life, there were a few episodes (or more accurately, usually a single short from a particular episode) that stopped airing on Nickelodeon for various reasons, usually because of questionable content. Most notably, the short "Leap Frogs" (which was originally the A short in the episode with "Bedfellows") was pulled from Nick after a few airings because of the implied infidelity of the story line. Instead, Nick aired "Bedfellows" with a short from season 3, "Wallaby on Wheels", which was itself originally paired with another banned short "Heff in a Handbasket", which stopped airing on Nick presumeably because of it's depiction of hell. "Leap Frogs" did air with "Bedfellows" in it's proper order on Nicktoons TV, up until the digital extra was re-branded into the ad supported Nicktoons Network. Another episode that stopped airing on Nick after a while was the episode with the 2 shorts "Pranksters" and "From Here to Maternity", most likely because of the 2nd short's content. Nicktoons TV at least aired "Pranksters" by itself as part of an April Fool's Day marathon.

More recently on The Hub's Littlest Pet Shop, one episode that almost never seems to be rerun is episode 2 (I believe) "Gail Break". I've only seen that episode twice. (so far).

9. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

I find that Nickelodeon was particularly notorious of this a few years back (like, 2010-12) or so. Whenever they'd rerun "Penguins of Madagascar" or something similar, it was almost always a first-season episode. I watched the show a lot back then, and I swear I've seen much of the first season 6 times while later episodes I've seen twice, at most. Some, not at all!

10. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

^ This too. Most Penguins reruns seem to be only Season 1 to early Season 2. I've had a dickens of a time tracking down repeats of the newer stuff. And don't they still have like, a dozen unaired episodes in the can?

11. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

Until 2005, most of the Dial M For Monkey episodes. The only one I've seen until then was Peltra.
    Ditto with The Justice Friends, although I have never seen it overall until 2005ish.
    And what about the episode "Last But Not Beast"? I believe that I've only seen it ONCE AND ONLY ONCE, so for most of my childhood, the "Go, Dexter Family Go!" song was heard for the first time on "Go, Dexter Family Go!", and not "Last But Not Beast".

12. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

On the subject of Pokémon, I also know that "Memories are Made of Bliss!", the DP finale, has only aired three times in the US; its original airdate, once during a weekday run, and once on Boomerang. Because of the way they do Sunday reruns, it was skipped over so they could run "In The Shadow of Zekrom!", the BW premiere. After one complete weekday run of Sinnoh League Victors, they started DP over from "Following a Maiden's Voyage". After that, I think after the Ash vs. Paul episodes (or maybe even during them), they started showing BW on weekday mornings. So that episode only aired twice on CN, but aired once more on Boomerang.

13. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Adventure Time's "A Glitch is a Glitch" is an example that comes to mind. As far as I'm aware, unlike the rest of the recent episodes, I'm not sure if it's actually been rerun at all since its intital airing (and even if it was, certainly not as much as its accompanying short, Isle de Senorita). Looks like that's hopefully changing though, as CN is finally rerunning it tonight at 6pm.

The reason why "Ready for the Bettys" hasn't aired (in the US) as much as the rest of the season 1 episodes is, from what I've heard, because there actually is a band called The Bettys. The writers were unaware of the band's existence until a while after the episode had already premiered, and Disney ended up pulling all further airings of it to avoid legal action from the band (though it's still available on iTunes and Netflix). "The Flying Fishmonger" was unfortunately pulled as well because it's the accompanying segment.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  14. Peter Paltridge

Who knows why, but the second season "Timon and Pumbaa" episodes did not air more than once in syndication. Instead, they repeated the Season One episodes instead from December forward. Kinda frustrating; I enjoyed those eps and kept looking for a chance to tape them. It didn't happen.

"Going Places" was one of the five Season 2 episodes I mentioned earlier. So the tradition of its rarity has continued, huh?

What adds to it is, it's such a weird episode, so having it randomly show up on the bluest of moons makes it feel even stranger.

15. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

I remember being confused when the first season SpongeBob episodes "SpongeBob ScaredyPants"/"I Was a Teenage Gary" and "SB129"/"Karate Choppers" for some reason stopped showing up in reruns. The latter eventually made it back to rotation, but the former, being a Halloween episode, was stuck to that holiday. If I had to theorize, parents probably looked down on "Karate Choppers" for its imitable (albeit exaggerated) physical violence (I remember copying the "karate" in my 1st grade class and getting suspended for it).

16. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Revengeful

That one, and I don't see "Prank Callers" -- both (or at least Unicorns) played one time during the summer. I have 2 links from zap2it taking me to their episode pages so I can keep watch if it gets scheduled within the next two weeks. I still keep missing and have yet to see them both.

17. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

I havent seen any MAD episodes from the first two seasons lately either.

18. Kuromi_Star

Kuromi_Star Neko mimi mode

I also only saw it once during the summer and not since. I suppose the episode is sort of risque as far as humor/stereotypes go, though I haven't heard any specific complaints about it

19. Peter Paltridge

I don't think you can blame them for that one. Parodies get old fast.

20. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

I have a few "Kim Possible" examples of this. Of course, most episodes have not aired on US television since it was removed from airing in 2010.

Bueno Nacho: This episode did not air between December 1, 2003 and August 2, 2004.
    Tick-Tick-Tick: This episode did not air between December 1, 2003 and August 3, 2004.
    The New Ron: This episode did not air between March 12, 2004 and November 28, 2004; It also did not air between September 5, 2007 and April 26, 2009.

Sort of. In that time frame, it was repeated in May 1992, October 1992 (Plucky Duck Show) and June 1993.

Yes, this is true. Though, some of the pairings were different.

Yes, there was one point when Nick only aired SB129 on New Year's Eve.