1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Scooby-Doo & Scrappy-Doo: The Complete Season 1

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by ClassicTVMan1981, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

About the cover? They could give it a better image.

Maybe a group shot where 6 members of the gang (including Scooby shown on the left, Shaggy on the right, and Scrappy in the middle) are seen smiling.

2. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

I don't see anything wrong with the cover. It's not like the gang's been omitted from the previous DVD art (13 Ghosts and Richie Rich/Scooby Doo Hour aside).

3. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

Looks like today is the day.

In regards to Scrappy, if I wanted to see Scrappy again, it would be great if WB were to make a new DTV Scooby-Doo! movie with the mature Scrappy in it. A gang of 6 members would be great. His voice provided by Frank Welker (with his Booker voice) comes off as the icing on the cake.

4. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Mature Scrappy is more or less a hybrid of Fred and Velma, though. With the Mysteries, Inc. "band of 5" still intact, there really isn't anything for mature Scrappy to do; he'd just be kind of there, and no one wants to see the annoying "Lemme at 'em!" Scrappy Doo come back.

5. Daffyfan2002

Daffyfan2002 $enior member

That's a good point. After all, I hear that is kind of why they dumbed down Fred in recent years since he didn't really have a gimmick like the rest of the members of the gang. The only other thing they could do with Scrappy is make him evil like they did in the live action film and I'm sure none of us want to see that version of Scrappy again.

6. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

Well, with the current Fred dumbed down, that's all the more reason to have Scrappy come in and actually be the brains that Fred used to be. When the gang splits up to track the monster of the week, mature Scrappy can be the level head of Shaggy and Scooby's team, with occassional, brief glimpses of the 'Lemme' at 'em!' Scrappy. Do a proper mesh of the two and you might just have a workable character.

7. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Fred didn't have a gimmick? He was the team leader, and post-2002, he became a trap-obsessed dorkazoid.

8. TheSponge

TheSponge Member

What ruined the Scooby-Doo series can be anyone's opinion. For me it was the Superstars 10 movies, Pup, and the overused mystery format. Warner Brothers just made it worse when they brought it.

#28 TheSponge, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2015
  9. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

I hope they made a Scooby Doo DTV movie with Scrappy Doo as a mature pup trying to control himself and be loved by his Uncle Scooby. So Scrappy can be loved again.

10. Coffee

Coffee Member

I really don't understand the hate that Scrappy gets. Sure, it was a low point for the series, but it wasn't that bad...

11. CoolCaper

CoolCaper New Member

They did. They made 3.
    Scooby-Doo Meets The Boo Brothers
    Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School
    Scooby-Dooo and the Relucant Werewolf

12. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Those weren't DTV (direct to video) movies, they were made for TV (i.e., they originally aired as TV movies).

13. CoolCaper

CoolCaper New Member

Come on, just because Scrappy began taking a more mature role doesn't make him a clone of Fred or Velma. It just means that he was more mature from then on. If Scrappy started wearing glasses or saying "Jinkies" then he would become a Velma clone. Likewise if he started wearing an ascot or saying "Let's split up, gang!"
    I think that people will attack Scrappy no matter how he is portrayed.
    If he helps out, people accuse him of "replacing" Fred and Velma.
    If he tries to help by running after the monster, people will accuse him of overestimating himself, and some will take it a step further and translate that into a case of severe egotism.
    And if he just stands there, people will attack him for his mere presence!
    I think that they could make Scrappy work. They just don't want to. They make all kinds of excuses, ranging from "Scrappy is annoying" "Scrappy makes the others look bad" "Scrappy's just a sixth wheel" but the bottom line is is that they just don't want Scrappy there for fear of angering longtime fans and/or they themselves hate Scrappy, like the writer of the live-action movie. (Boy did he ever hate Scrappy, and it showed)

14. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Those were syndicated TV-movies, produced in 1987-88, or a decade before the DTV series began.