1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Scooby-Doo & Scrappy-Doo: The Complete Season 1

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by ClassicTVMan1981, Feb 4, 2015.

1. ClassicTVMan1981

Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo DVD news: Press Release for Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo - The Complete Season 1 | TVShowsOnDVD.com

We may have had scattered episodes of this series on DVD for a while with the 13 Spooky Tales compilations, but this April 28 WBHE will be marketing the first season (1979-1980) on DVD for the first time in its entirety.

However, the closing credits on all 16 episodes will likely be those with the "explosion" background also seen on Laff-A-Lympics and Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels, rather than the model sheet closing credits.

~Ben

2. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

Is that a problem? Which version came first? That is, which one was originally broadcast?

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

3. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Wow. That DVD cover is hideous.

That isn't a dig at Scrappy (as is the popular thing to do), by the way. Who drew that thing? Jeebus...

4. O-chan

O-chan Active Member

I, for one, am glad this is finally getting released. I never really understood why the Scrappy hate was so strong that the powers that be would ignore the entire stretch of episodes he was in. Scrappy was pretty much 80s Scooby Doo and a part of cartoon history.

5. ClassicTVMan1981

Like I said, the model sheet closing credits came first.

After the first season's original run ended in January 1980 (when the program was expanded to one hour to accommodate 1976-78 Scooby reruns), the explosion background closing credits were used.

~Ben

6. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

This sounds like good news if you're okay with seeing Scrappy.

Compared to Be Cool, a modern Scooby-Doo! series would be even more awesome not only with the animation as used in DTV S-D! movies like Abracadabra-Doo but also with Frank Welker as Scrappy, using his Booker voice.

The only problem is the WB logo at the end of every episode. It would be better if the "As Time Goes By" melody were used instead of the fanfare.

7. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Maybe the DVD artists just aren't used to drawing Scrappy:D

But seriously, this is great to see. Let's hope we get Scrappy in LEGO Scooby-Doo sets.

8. Daffyfan2002

Daffyfan2002 $enior member

Yeah. I might consider buying that. I'm pretty much used to Scrappy considering I have "The 13 Ghosts" and the 80s superstar movies with Scrappy. After all it is part of the Scooby-Doo franchise.

9. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Though I prefer the Scrappy episodes when it was just him, Daphne, Shaggy, and Scooby, it's nice that they're finally releasing the series that featured the character.
    Who knows, maybe they'll bring him back in a TV movie or the new series, and make him likable for a new audience.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That wold be pretty cool. I never really hated Scrappy to begin with or found him annoying, so seeing him in a TV movie or new series where he isn't the villain or poked fun at because it's cool to hate him for some reason would be nice.

11. Batman1

Batman1 Member

Never really understood the hatred for Scrappy Doo. My only problem was when they took Fred, Daphne, and Velma out of the series the next season. Daphne did return a few years later, and Fred and Velma made guest appearance in the last couple of the series.

Sent from my iPad using toonzone

12. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Not Listening!

I personally think that a lot of hatred stem from Scrappy's initial years, given his "let me at 'em" attitude towards the villains and the seasons where the format shifted from mysteries to 7-minute story lines.

13. quiteliterally

I disagree about it being an "initial years" thing, given that Scrappy was actually fairly popular when he was first introduced (his addition to the show, which was dangerously close to being cancelled at the end of the 70s, managed to bolster the show's ratings). I suspect that older viewers got tired of him dominating the show well into the 80s, which coincided with the show's format being simplified into basic monster chases, although I sense that the extreme hatred he gets now is largely a retroactive thing - ie: it became fashionable to claim that you'd always loathed him.

14. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Not Listening!

That's what I mean by the initial years being the source of people hatred of him him: when adults think of Scrappy, the first thing that comes to mind is not the later years (i.e. the 1983-1985 seasons), but rather his initial personality ("Da da da da da da, puppy power!!!") and the fact that 1980-1983 season had the premise restructured so that the mystery aspect (as well as Freddy, Daphne, and Velma) are dropped in favor of him, Scooby, and Shaggy going on various misadventures.

I'm not saying that Scrappy is the character that ruined the Scooby-Doo franchise (since, as you pointed out, he helped save the show from cancellation, not to mention the fact that does get better in later years). It's just that to most adults, their main memories of him come from his "annoyingly brave" persona from his earlier years, with a number of people in the modern cartoon industry making him the butt of many jokes because of this,.

15. TheSponge

TheSponge Member

It's a good sign that the Scrappy series is getting released. I don't think it was Scrappy that ruined the show, for me it was A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, Fraphne/Shelma and they keep using the mystery format in every new modern series that ruined it.

#15 TheSponge, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
  16. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

Personally I'm hoping this leads to a full release of the New Scooby Doo & Scrappy Doo Show and the New Scooby Doo Mysteries. I could take or leave the inbetween years with the 7 minute shorts before Daphne returned, although I wouldn't mind them finishing off the Richie Rich/Scooby Doo Hour release they started several years back.

17. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

And you'd be wrong about that, too, Sponge. It has to do with a primetime, Scrappy-less special (Scooby Goes Hollywood) that scored big enough numbers to convince ABC suits to have H-B tweak the format.

18. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

I agree about the cover. Looks really weird to me. More like a cover for 13 Ghosts... I'd expect something else.

19. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Like what? The set is for season 1; when Scrappy was first introduced, the show was still adhering to the "team of 5 shaking down fake ghosts in spooky locales" format, only with Scrappy added to the mix. HB didn't nix Fred, Daphne and Velma and switch to the "Scooby, Scrappy and Shaggy emulate the 3 Stooges" format until later.

20. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I don't think people are complaining about what's featured on the cover, but more about the actual quality of the drawings, which I agree could be a lot better. Although I'll admit I'm not a fan of how the gang is featured so far away in the background. It doesn't feel right.