Scooby Do Direct To DVD Movies Talkback Thread (News And Discussion)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by SweetShop209, Aug 5, 2017.

1. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Seeing as how there haven't been any threads on the site that talked about recent movies like Shaggy's Showdown or the Lego Blowout Beach Bash movie, I figured I would start this thread up. This thread is dedicated to any and all news and discussion about the Scooby Doo DVD movies, whether it's for movies that came out, or any upcoming movies. You can talk about your favorite movies, least favorite movies, upcoming news, and so forth. Feel free to discuss.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dragoonanime

dragoonanime Member

I really wish that they would do another movie with real monsters like the first four, the ghoul king and samurai sword movies.

3. Daffyfan2002

Daffyfan2002 $enior member

Well, I'm a little behind. I just got Curse of the Speed Demon at Target today and I'm most likely getting Beach Blanket Blowout for my birthday tomorrow, so I don't want to read too many spoilers. Though I did watch Shaggy's Showdown recently. Also, while we're on the subject, has anyone heard any news on what happened to Mindy Cohn? Seems like Kate Miccucci is voicing Velma regularly now. She does a good Velma voice and all, but whatever happened to Mindy does seem to be one of the biggest Scooby-Doo mysteries to date.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It seems like we're getting one traditional animated movie a year alongside one Lego Scooby-Doo movie a year, with Shaggy's Showdown and Blowout Beach Bash making up the 2017 slate while Haunted Hollywood and Curse of the Speed Demon were 2016's :).
    Yeah, I could've sworn Mindy confirmed she'd still be voicing Velma for the animated movies when Miucci took over for Be Cool but it seems there was a big change in plans :ack:.

5. SweetShop209

Maybe Mindy chose to leave the role. Though why she would choose to leave a long lasting role after 13 years is a bit of a puzzler. Maybe it's because, when it comes to animation, she's associated only to Velma, as opposed to BJ Ward and Kate Miccuci, who have iconic roles outside of Scooby Doo.

In regards to the 2016 movies, my guess was that the WWE sequel was meant to be released around Wrestlemania with the Lego movie getting released in summer, but they ended up switching due to the Hulk Hogan incident delaying production for the former (that whole N-word scandal).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Daffyfan2002

Jinkies! That's very possible. It seems that Mindy is more associated with Natalie Green of The Facts of Life and not a lot of animated characters. Kate is more of a known person in animation. (Ex: The new Ninja Turtles series) So it's possible. Then again after hearing the news about Steve Whitmire getting fired by Disney as the voice of Kermit the Frog for unknown reasons, it makes me wonder if that situation occurs with other actors in other companies as well. Who knows?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SweetShop209

Considering that upcoming crossover with Supernatural, it makes me wonder if there will be adult oriented Scooby DVD Movies, in a similar vein to the DC Universe Animated Original Movies targeting teenagers and adults instead of also including kids. If so, would there still be a good amount of family oriented Scooby movies? Regarding DC Movies, you need films like Intergalactic Games or Return Of The Caped Crusaders to balance out films like Flashpoint Paradox or Killing Joke. If Scooby were to have more adult movies, I hope there'd still be a balance like what I mentioned with dc

• Like Like x 2
  8. Daffyfan2002

I don't know. A lot of people didn't care too much for the dark tone of Mystery, Inc. So I'm not sure WB would want to go down that road again with the DTVs.

9. SweetShop209

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/10/3...-and-the-bold-trailer-debut-and-movie-details

The next Scooby Doo movie is a crossover with Batman: The Brave And The Bold, coming out on January 9, 2018. A few details:

1. The movie will be written by series producers Michael Jelenic & James Tucker (story) alongside Paul Giacoppo (screenplay), and directed by Jake Castonera. Michael Jelenic is supervising producer for Be Cool Scooby Doo, while James Tucker produced the Mask Of The Blue Falcon movie.

2. In addition to the regular voice cast of Frank Welker (Scooby Doo, Fred Jones), Grey DeLisle Griffin (Daphne Blake), Matthew Lillard (Shaggy Rogers), and Kate Micucci (Velma Dinkley), the movie also has

Diedrich Bader as Batman

Grey Griffin as Black Canary

Jeff Bennett as Joker

Jeffrey Combs as The Question

John DiMaggio as Aquaman

Nika Futterman as Catwoman

Nicholas Guest as Martian Manhunter

John Michael Higgins as The Riddler

Tom Kenny as Penguin and Plastic Man

Kevin Michael Richardson as Detective Chimp

Tara Strong as Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy

Fred Tatasciore as Harvey Bullock

3. You remember the third segment of the April Fools episode of Brave And The Bold, where the Scooby cast guest starred? Well, call this an expanded remake.

You can bet that I'm hyped for this.

• Like Like x 2
  10. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

I wish the give other HB properties a shot at the spotlight. What about The Impossibles for once? Give the dog a rest huh? I would've said I like to see Scooby Apocalypse get on the screen except 1 I know it'll never happen and 2 I hate zombies.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

I would like to see a crossover with Captain Planet.

12. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

It's not exactly what you want, but check out the amazing comic book miniseries, Future Quest, which includes The Impossibles along with a ton of other HB action stars from the Alex Toth era of the 1960s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Frank Coufal

Frank Coufal Member

Exactly. If WB can give Scooby Doo and Tom and Jerry countless direct-to-video features, why can't they do the same with other Hanna-Barbera properties...and give them great plots as well?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Because those franchises have been proven hits for decades and the others haven’t.

The best way to give the other HB IPs exposure is by pairing them up with their famous characters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Daffyfan2002

Jinkies! That sounds exciting. I've seen a short with a Scooby/Batman crossover, but this is the first they've done a full movie with that. Sounds really promising.

Lol. That reminds me of a dream I once had where all of the Scooby gang died, except for Velma for some reason or other.

16. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

Then again most of the time Tom and Jerry are inserted into something they really feel out of place, its unfortunate that is the only way they can do something with those two.

17. Daffyfan2002

Yeah. I thought they might do a crossover with Scooby and T&J, but that would be pretty hard since they just seem to be doing the same thing with each franchise, putting the characters in crossovers/unusual situations. It wouldn't be easy to come up with a plot there.