Schedule Update 4/30: It's happening. Maybe(Edit: Yep. Toonami is returning)

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by chdr, May 4, 2012.

1. chdr

chdr New Member

There's been a schedule update.

There's been a few lineup changes:
    • Lucy, Daughter of the Devil, Xavier: Renegade Angel, and The Heart, She Holler join DVR Theater
    • The Eric Andre Show premieres 5/20 at 12:30
    • There's an interesting new lineup on Saturdays, starting 5/26...

09:00 - Comedy shows
    12:00 - Bleach premieres
    12:30 - Blank space
    01:00 - Blank space

01:30 - FMA: Brotherhood
    02:00 - Blank space
    02:30 - Cowboy Bebop
    03:00 - Encore

It's looking shockingly likely that this is exactly what you think it is.

2. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Oh my...

That does look like it could be happening.

Dropping everything but Bleach, FMA:B and Bebop?

Well mac guess you win the bet about them mostly cleaning the slate because that sure looks like a slate cleaning and every show will get encored.

Kind of surprised to see Bebop at 5:30 AM. I'm placing my bets on Outlaw Star getting that 2:00 AM slot next to Bebop. That or Big O season 1.

Unrelated to that but it's good to see Check it Out was replaced by Eagleheart on Saturday and The Boondocks back to 11:30 since ATHF was losing to Bleach.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2012
  3. Paradox295

Paradox295 Chicks dig it, dude!

Dura and Kekkaishi's gone. Expected that.

FLCL not staying? Aw :(

What's the deal with Bebop at 5.30, though?

4. Soul

Soul Mainly Lurking Now...

My bets? I'm doubting Bandai stuff honestly, FUNi would be the easiest to get deals with so...
    I'm seeing DBZ next to Bleach (Duh), YYH after DBZ, and Trigun before Bebop.

5. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

- I hope they don't choose DBZ. Even though it did well on April Fools Day, the show has been rerun to death and a superior dub in DBZ Kai already airs on Nicktoons. Plus, unless the show gets encores on weekdays, then it'll take forever to get through 291 episodes. But if they air it, at least air the uncut dub.

- FLCL has been rerun to death already. In the past, usually, WS would rerun the show twice and then take it off the schedule. That way, it would keep the show fresh. With this run, they didn't do it, and now its been rerun to death.

- Cowboy Bebop will be on AS for as long as AS exists. I wish they could air the remastered version(with lighter edits and restored ED).

6. Soul

You kinda answered you're own question as to why DBZ would be in the line-up, as long as there's [as] there's Bebop, as long as there's Toonami there's DBZ. As for the Kai vs. DBZ thing? Casual anime fans seem to appreciate Kai, but casual fans in general, can't get over their nostalgia for the original show; Kai itself hasn't sold as well as FUNi had hoped based on comments at Anime Central.

7. Sketch

Encores for the whole night but it makes me wonder if they're losing the contract to InuYasha. That or they're taking off the rerun because they're going to play Final Act and will only tolerate 2 airings of InuYasha and not 3.

I'm sure the 12:30AM will new anime that isn't on DVD yet. 1 AM could go either way but I would hope they are not airing a new anime at 2 AM.

8. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

They could be bringing in new / different programming without updating the block, and I think Toonami and Adult Swim were both announced in advance of when they actually premiered; I recall the early Toonami commercials & when AS was news. But hey, news could come & this is interesting stuff.

9. macattack

macattack I see you!

I can't believe it. Is it happening? Really happening?

If it is, I was mostly right. I wasn't expecting them to encore the entire block. :sweat: But yeah three new shows joining the lineup, and Cowboy Bebop, fittingly, is the block-ender (though I am shocked to see it at 5:30 a.m. and I doubt it'll stick).

For the record, on the 26th, the Bleach episode is the start of the final battle of the Muramasa arc. So I was right about them waiting for an epic battle in Bleach to get the block rolling proper (that is, if this is really Toonami). The Cowboy Bebop episode involves Faye's past, and the FMAB episode, unfortunately, spends its entire time setting up the huge battles in episode 33.

The only question is what are the three blank shows? I don't think it's the Big O, which they still hold partial rights to. I think they would bother to reveal that. I agree with your assessment, Andrew/Sketch, that Outlaw Star has to be one of them. It was the only show on April Fools to actually gain viewers from the previous show which kinda showed its value. It would make sense for it to air before Bebop. I also expect a FUNi show to be among the new shows joining the block, though what show I don't really know. Steins; Gate is the frontrunner of FUNi's upcoming releases IMO but there may be a couple of other contenders.

The third show is likely Tiger & Bunny unless the dub isn't far enough along, in which case it could be anything.

This does rule out Naruto Shippuden and One Piece for now. If Toonami's ratings take off (again, assuming this is Toonami), justifying more show pickups and block space, maybe they could air before Bleach.

10. The Man in Black

The Man in Black I have 5 of broats

Well if this is happening then Happy Birthday to me. :p

11. Sketch

How does that rule out Naruto Shippuden and One Piece?

It's literally a blank slate for 3 slots that will seemingly get encores.

12. chdr

chdr New Member

Considering how huge of a factor nostalgia was in bringing Toonami back, I would honestly be surprised if the three new shows weren't just classic Toonami shows.

13. macattack

macattack I see you!

The pacing for both shows kinda prevents them. They kinda need an hour to themselves or the pacing will murder the shows.

14. Sketch

I don't really see pacing stopping them from picking either up if they had any interest in airing them to begin with.

An hour would be more ideal for viewers but not having an hour to work with is not likely to keep them from going for either if they are interested.

15. macattack

macattack I see you!

Well we'll find out soon won't we? I just don't think it's likely because both shows will be significant investments requiring massive episode purchases, and both have spotty airing histories. I think Naruto and One Piece's time would be if Toonami proves itself to get great ratings, and then you use those two shows to solidify the block and expand it.

16. Soul

Both Mac and chdr are right Andrew. If Toonami itself proves that it's ratings stay high when/if it returns? Then yeah, we could see it expand before midnight, and possibly pick up Shippuden or One Piece.

As for Tiger & Bunny? It could air after FMA Brotherhood's rerun has ended; otherwise? If the 3 shows are the 3 highest rated show that aired 4/1? It'd be DBZ, Gundam Wing and Outlaw Star.

17. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

I still think if they're going to run DBZ, it should be the Dragon Box version. I demand to hear Kageyama with Toonami branding.

18. macattack

macattack I see you!

DBZ and/or Outlaw Star, maybe. But I don't think Gundam Wing would have the legs to hang on for more than a few weeks. That dub is bad, yo.

But I don't think it's DBZ, I think it's too much of an investment, even with its likely low price, for an experiment that may not work. So I think it's Outlaw Star, a compact 26-episode package. DBZ may wait until it's clear that the experiment is working.

19. Sketch

Yeah... still not agreeing that more slots are required for getting another long shounen. Bleach's been airing in a single slot regularly for years (I'm aware it had an hour for a while). I don't really think either will be picked up due to lacking the nostalgia of DBZ but being over a hundred episodes behind the DVD release for Shippuden and 205 episodes behind the DVD release for One Piece.

If they get another long shounen, it's probably DBZ due to how well it did and unlikely the Dragon Box which leads to the question... will they just air the old Toonami tapes or is there an uncut version that they can give them that isn't the orange brick footage?

Nah, Gundam Wing lost quite a few viewers from DBZ so I don't think they're going to get that one. It's not out of the question but I'd be surprised to see it. Though mac if dub quality mattered that much then DBZ would be in trouble.

Not gonna say I'd be disappointed if they just added 3 Toonami fav's that haven't been on TV regularly for a while but there are a few new shows they could pick up (short ones).

Then again it might be an experiment to see if oldies but goodies can beat the previous new anime Adult Swim picked up and in turn see how they stack up to Bleach premieres.

20. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

But compared to FUNi's old dub for DBZ, it's practically Cowboy Bebop.:sweat: