1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Saturday Morning Schedule for Fall 1983

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Jermaine Mack, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Jermaine Mack

Jermaine Mack New Member

This is the Saturday Morning Line-Up for the 1983-84 Television Season

ABC's 1983-1984 Saturday Morning Line-Up (That Special Feeling)
    8:00AM The Best of Scooby-Doo
    8:30AM The Monchichis/Little Rascals/Richie Rich Show
    9:30AM The Pac-Man/Rubik, the Amazing Cube Hour
    10:30AM The Littles
    11:00AM The Puppy's Further Adventures
    11:30AM The New Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show
    12:00PM The ABC Weekend Specials
    12:30PM American Bandstand

NBC's 1983-1984 Saturday Morning Line-Up (Be There)
    8:00AM The Flintstone Funnies
    8:30AM Shirt Tales
    9:00AM The Smurfs
    10:30AM Alvin and the Chipmunks
    11:00AM Mr.T
    11:30AM The Amazing Spider-Man and the Incredible Hulk
    12:30PM Thundarr the Barbarian

CBS's 1983-1984 Saturday Morning Line-Up (We've Got the Touch)
    7:00AM Captain Kangaroo
    8:00AM The Biskitts
    8:30AM Saturday Supercade
    9:30AM Dungeons & Dragons
    10:00AM The Dukes
    10:30AM The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show
    11:00AM Benji, Zax and the Alien Prince
    11:30AM The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show
    1:00PM The New Fat Albert Show
    1:30PM The CBS Children's Film Festival

• Like Like x 1
  2. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Definitely an interesting year for Saturday morning, and a tough one to call a "winner", although I have to lean towards NBC here (thanks to the Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and Mr. T).

The highlights in terms of the new shows:

-DIC entering the the world of animation produced for America with The Littles (and the syndicated Inspector Gadget);
    -Dungeons and Dragons adding some darkness to Saturday morning;
    -The Charlie Brown and Snoopy showing giving fans of the prime time specials a weekly dose of Peanuts animated goodness;
    -Ruby-Spears being in full force with Alvin and the Chipmunks, Mr. T, and Saturday Supercade.

3. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

ABC's lineup didn't stay intact for long. In fact, in upstate NY, the affiliate decided to scrap the block altogether as an experiment.

By Christmas, the cartoons were back, and the Super Friends were brought back by ABC around that time, likely due to viewer demand.

4. 80sRascalsFan

80sRascalsFan New Member

During that season, except for the first half of The Monchhchis/The Little Rascals/Richie Rich, NBC was more my choice for Saturday mornings due to The Smurfs, which got better that season as opposed to the previous season.

The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show was my only favorite on CBS that season. But yeah, after the 1983-84 season, my taste for Saturday morning fare started to decline. Might be because I enjoyed The Little Rascals so much and was very disappointed it was cancelled.

5. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

Anyone remember the bumpers for CBS if you do describe them to me please I was under 10 years old and don't remember much about them.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

6. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Even though I was 2-3 at the time, I do remember (especially with Youtube to confirm this memory) that the bumpers were arcade-related.

7. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

Out of all the new shows on the ABC Saturday Morning lineup in 1983, "The Littles" probably had the highest-quality animation, done by TMS Entertainment. High quality television animation like that was rare on Saturday morning cartoons, at least until Disney's "Gummi Bears" and "The Wuzzles" came around (also animated by TMS), and other animation companies had to step up in their quality.

8. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

DIC must've contracted with TMS to animate The Littles, which, along with Inspector Gadget, put DIC on the map.

9. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

Yep. TMS also worked with DiC on "Heathcliff and the Catillac Cats" and "Pole Position."

10. superdude

superdude king of cool

CBS axed H-B's Popeye after the previous season. :( It had a good run though. NBC would rule Saturday Mornings for the next several years and ABC would go into a big slump, the worst probably being from 85-88 when they were transitioning away from Superfriends and adult Scooby-Doo.