1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Sat morning cartoons was better in the 90s

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Rexedgeltoe, Oct 11, 2015.

1. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Member

Sorry, I just didn't expect that.

Well, how many times have we been over this whole Saturday Morning cartoons/bringing back old shows song and dance? It's getting to the point where I'd like to have one big thread consisting of all the "X should bring back their old shows" threads.

#21 VG_Addict, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  2. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I think Silverstar meant why do you keep asking questions that you already know the answers to, but yeah, these topics do become repetitive sometimes.

3. Rexedgeltoe

Rexedgeltoe New Member

boo you censored my last post boo

4. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

You grew up during the 90's, right, Rex? Fair enough. Some of us here are older and have fond memories of the toons we grew up with, be it from the 60's, 70's, or 80's. While I don't see anyone arguing against your point, let's just say that everyone has their personal favorites from their childhood.

Anyway, as others have noted, SatAM has gone the way of the DeLorean due to the networks and their affiliates discovering that with the expansion of cable over the last 20-odd years, they're better off investing their money in programs targeted for educational purposes to fill those hours. However, kids are turning away in droves, content with watching dreck like Teen Titans Go! and watching the same episodes for the 20th time in 3 weeks or something.

The reality is, we've passed the point of no return. Aside from NBC, which, everyone forgets, is the only channel left carrying SatAM cartoons (imported from step-sister Sprout), SatAM is dullsville.

5. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I remember hearing about someone trying to revive Saturday mornings with a Lassie reboot and He-Man reruns. Does anyone know how that went? Is it still going on or has it been abandoned?

6. hobbyfan

Nothing's been written since the initial word was posted here. Seems to be dead in the water.

7. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Another contributing factor to the demise of Saturday morning cartoons was that the FCC's I/E rules limited what could be advertised during Saturday morning cartoons. And since commercials are sponsorships that help pay for the network, the networks can't really afford to commission and air cartoons if the money needed for that diminishes.
    In the end, it's just cheaper to air infomercials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. MikeDodgers

MikeDodgers Member

Curse the FCC.....butting in where they DON'T BELONG! Anyone want to build a TARDIS so we can go back to 1990 and stop the Children's Television Act from being passed?

9. MikeDodgers

MikeDodgers Member

hobbyfan, I'm a Saturday Morning purist. I've never known a Saturday Morning without any kind of animation. Although....The Inspectors does sound intriguing. Someone catch me up on The Inspectors....QUICK!

10. hobbyfan

Now you're talking nonsense, Mike.

In my opinion, SatAM has come full circle. It wasn't originally for cartoons, but rather live-action kids' programming or reruns of prime-time shows that were meant for the entire family. CBS started the animation trend by bringing in Mighty Mouse shorts around 1955, the same shorts that would move into syndication after Mighty Mouse & The Mighty Heroes was cancelled 12 years later. ABC picked up Casper in 1963, a year after moving Bugs Bunny out of prime-time and into SatAM history (Bugs would be a SatAM fixture for 38 years on 2 different networks, ABC & CBS). It took NBC to the end of the decade (Pink Panther) before they followed suit.

The end result? When uncut (we think) Bugs Bunny, Mighty Mouse, Pink Panther, Popeye, & Tom & Jerry shorts began airing on syndication & cable in the 70's, ratings for those syndicated reruns were huge, especially in New York. Local affiliates in my area weren't so lucky, as they tried to compete with NYC feeds and failed. Just the way it was.

Some of the E/I programming on now isn't so bad. Just remember that the I stands for Informational or Informative. And there are scripted shows (i.e. CBS/Litton's The Inspectors, a live action series) mixed in to draw in not pre-teens, but teens & young adults.
    Hey, I haven't seen a full episode yet, either, but that will change soon.

11. MikeDodgers

MikeDodgers Member

I just read up on the premise and it sounds like a US Postal version of NCIS and Hawaii Five-O.

12. hobbyfan

Well, considering that the USPS is underwriting the show......!

13. MikeDodgers

MikeDodgers Member

Hmmm....a postal version of 2 shows I happen to like. Okay, I'm sold! When's 'The Inspectors' come on?

14. hobbyfan

11:30 am (ET).