1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sat morning cartoons was better in the 90s

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Rexedgeltoe, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Rexedgeltoe

Rexedgeltoe New Member

Freakazoiid tiny toons the tick pinky and the brain... what happened? All the awesome moved to primetime? Why don't kids just pvr those and watch them saturday mornings instead of te crud they play now!

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Well Sat morning cartoons haven't been around since last year with Vortexx, otherwise no cartoon has been exclusively for Saturday mornings the only ones are Sonic Boom and Pokemon on CN, but no channel has attempted Sat mornings premieres except for CN and DXD

3. Rexedgeltoe

Rexedgeltoe New Member

I remeember snit and phil from ytv.. snit was this security camera tv that got covered in bubblegum and turned into a sentient personality. Classic.

4. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Since Saturday Morning Cartoons aren't really a thing anymore, I guess the '90's were better by default.

5. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

Robots in Disguise premieres on Saturdays, as does the Discovery Family. But everyone else has spread their shows throughout the week. It cuts down on competition, I guess.

6. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

What happened is that you grew up and the expansion of cable/satellite TV, the internet, On Demand and home video have eliminated the need for broadcast SatAM blocks. Broadcast networks stopped programming for Saturday mornings because they were losing money and they realized that there was more profit to be made from airing local programming and infomercials on SatAM. After all, who needs to flock around the TV to watch a 3-4 hour programming block of kids' shows for 1 day a week on a broadcast network when there are now cable/satellite channels that literally air kids' shows all day everyday or they could just pop in a DVD or watch cartoons on sites like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon or iTunes anytime they want?

Also, Tiny Toon Adventures aired primarily on weekday afternoons in most markets.

#6 Goldstar Neo, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  7. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Because a) the current generation of children don't consider the current crop of kids' shows to be crud, and b) today's kids aren't all that hung up on Saturday morning. Why should they be? They have several other outlets available to them, enabling them to get their cartoon fix basically anytime they want. They don't need to wait around for Saturday morning to watch cartoons.

But let me answer your question with a question: why not follow your own advice? If you think SatAM was so awesome in the 90's and you think today's shows are crap, then why not just buy the DVDs of your favorite shows (the ones which are available on DVD, of course) and make your own SatAM fun? Get up on Saturday morning and marathon those bad boys. If you owned your own kick-ass cartoon collection, then it wouldn't matter what the networks do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Rexedgeltoe

Rexedgeltoe New Member

I thought it was an important sharing on consciousness, and I don't like to see it getting more pc with time. Are we going backwards? Overpandering to hostile foreign governments? Gee wiz I don't know, I guess our freedom really does belong to our enemies.. I hope the situation is only a trial of people hoping to grow spines, because I really do not wish to see russia china and isis telling me what cartoons I can watch.

9. Goldstar Neo

First, let's try to keep our political views out of this, as that's only going to lead to this thread being closed early, and I fail to see what any of that has to do with Saturday morning cartoons. Relax a little.

Second, I have to ask, how many of today's cartoons have you actually seen? Because I would hardly describe shows Gravity Falls, Regular Show, Uncle Grandpa and Wabbit as PC or crud.

10. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Member

People would rather watch local news and informercials than SatAM cartoons?

11. Silverstar

OK, you lost me, bruh. I have no idea what you're talking about now. No offense, but the above diatribe sounds positively bonkers, and I don't mean the bobcat.

Come on dude, how many times have we been over this? Adults who are up that early by and large aren't watching SatAM cartoons unless it's with their kids. The broadcast networks don't bother programming SatAM schedules anymore since they can't compete with cable and the internet (except for NBC, and their schedule is just leftovers from Sprout). They'd rather just let their local affiliates put whatever they want on during those hours, and they're not trying to compete with Nick, CN, Disney Channel, Nefltix, Hulu and Amazon Prime either.

#11 Silverstar, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  12. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Member

The end of SatAM has nothing to do with political correctness, and everything to do with changing times.

13. Goldstar Neo

That's not what I said. I said that network affiliates make more money running local programs and infomercials on SatAM than they do running cartoons, so they run local programs and infomercials. Kids still watch cartoons, just not on the broadcast networks.

14. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Member

Really? SatAM ratings are that low?

15. Silverstar

You're missing the point quite hard. Again, broadcast network blocks couldn't compete with the other venues which air kids' programming all day, so they bowed out of SatAM. Blocks like Fox Kids, Kids' WB! and Vortexx were actually losing money because kids were watching other stuff like DVR, streaming services, cable/satellite channels, their own DVDs and YouTube.

#15 Silverstar, Oct 12, 2015
  16. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Member

And also DVR. Kids don't have to wake up early for their shows.

17. Silverstar

I mentioned that in post #15, and if you already know all of this, then why'd you ask the question about ratings? This thread is very confusing.

18. Goldstar Neo

What SatAM ratings? The only broadcast network that's currently running cartoons on Saturday mornings right now is CBS, and those are just acquisitions aimed at preschoolers. The other broadcast networks bowed out of the game because they couldn't compete with 24 kids cable channels, the internet and home video.

19. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Member

I guess I'm just still surprised that informercials and local news make more money than SatAM cartoons on the broadcast networks.

They also show some cartoons on Saturday on PBS.

#19 VG_Addict, Oct 12, 2015
  20. Goldstar Neo

It's not complicated, really. Saturday morning blocks on the broadcast networks was a big deal back when there were only 3 networks (I'm not counting PBS because that's public broadcasting that's ad free) and SatAM was the only time when kids could see cartoons except for daily syndication and the occasional prime time special, but now, thanks to cable/satellite TV and the internet becoming mainstream, there are so many different outlets available to kids that they no longer have to wait a week to get their cartoon fix. The broadcast networks can't compete with that, so they stopped programming SatAM blocks because kids aren't watching them anymore; they no longer need to. Lack of viewership = lower ratings = loss of money.