Samurai Jack Movie progress?

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Dusty, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

Anyone know what stage this is in, is it still in pre-production or have they started working on it? I know Mr. Tartakovsky has his hands full with Sym-Bionic Titan, but I was just wondering if this movie will actually happen or if it has been cancelled, thanks, :)

D.

2. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi Reporter

I just consider it in indefinite development purgatory. I believe Tartakovsky wants to do it. Phil LaMarr wants to do it. But I think they just don't have the financing for it.

3. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

What about J. J. Abrams? Also Isn't Tartakovsky involve with Frederator Films, seriously they are killing us with that.

4. tommy21

tommy21 New Member

How could they make a movie without Aku? The actor who voiced him (Mako Iwamatsu) died almost 5 years ago.

5. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

I know its hard to replace the great Mako but also consider that we also don't want the ending of Samurai Jack in Limbo.

6. Captain Maverick

Captain Maverick New Member

Agreed Samurai Jack deserves a true ending and not the episode where the kids imagined it and so true about mako there will never be a better aku than him.:shrug:.And heres hoping Sym-bionic Titan doesnt suffer the same fate :sad:

7. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Well in Genndy's last interview here, he suggested we write many letters to CN with our demand for the film.

I've sent mine. What about the rest of you?

8. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

If Sym-Bionic Titan doesn't get another season(still hoping it gets one) i think a feature film would work as long CN make an agreement with Genddy.

I did tho i don't know if they actually read them, probably we need to do a facebook thing........heard it works better than petitions.

9. Atoon

Atoon Broken English

From what I understood, Genndy sugggested to write letters to CN to make the finale happen because the movie is not the series finale, but a standalone thing.

10. Raidon Makoto

Raidon Makoto Long Live The Heroes

CN has no control over the movie. It's Frederator, and its being held up because they're still working on the Frederator Films division. They already have a producer (JJ Abrams) and a Distributor (Sony Pictures Animation). They just need to get it going.

If anyone feels daring, they can send an e-mail to Fred Seibert (President of Frederator) and ask him. His e-mail is fred@frederator.com. I'm going to send him an e-mail about the movie... eventually.

11. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie Moderator

They'll find someone to voice Aku. It won't be the same, but I'd like to think there is someone out there who can handle it. Think Slinky Dog from Toy Story (though that one was pretty darn good).

12. J!!!

J!!! You're such a little kid~

They could always get his understudy like they did for Avatar. He sounds pretty good.

13. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

I doubt he will do the same angry screaming voice that Mako did for Aku, i remember someone who had a similar voice to Mako but can't remember who.

14. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

If I can't get a Samurai Jack movie right now, I would settle for a soundtrack or two, IMO Samurai Jack had some of the most beautiful music of any animated series ever, James Venable did a fantastic job, but man I just really miss this show,

D.

15. FireCamel

FireCamel New Member

I have no idea what happened to the movie, it must have been in pre-production for what, 3 years now? I thought Frederator had gotten a budget for it, but I don't remember where I heard that and how reliable the source was.

I agree, the soundtrack was really good and I'd buy it if it was released.

16. Cartoon Commando

Cartoon Commando New Member

This movie NEEDS to happen.

17. GauntletsofRai

GauntletsofRai Human Slave

I personally worship Tartakovsky as an animation god, so I'll completely love anything he makes, but I am really excited in the event that is is actually made.

18. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

On a related note, Tarsem Singh (he of Immortals and The Cell fame) wants to make a Samurai Jack movie.

Huh. Well, SJ would actually be pretty decent in live-action, but we'd all prefer to see the animated version return first, which is incredibly unlikely. So, no go, Singh.

Given that this is THR, the story might be twisted around. That mention of Brett Ratner considering the project years earlier is probably fake. Hopefully fake.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/immortals-tarsem-singh-samurai-jack-259428

19. Guyler

Guyler New Member

Genndy is currently directing Hotel Transylvania , which is slated for a late 2012 release, so we're not going to be getting a Samurai Jack movie for at least another 2 or 3 years.

20. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

Bump... Yeah so I am just wondering if there is any update as to whether or not they are still making the movie. Has Genndy Tartakovsky and Frederator Studios given up on it?
    Isn't Mr. Tartakovsky working at Sony now, and isn't one of the reasons he moved there because the way CN treated him?
    But that wouldn't prevent him from being able to make a movie right?
    I really want... No I NEED to see how Jack gets home, heck, I at this point I will take anything Samurai Jack.... Season 5 anyone? J/k, lol.
    I also hope when CN re-airs this show, that it gets good ratings, because truthfully I find that this show is one of the best animated series ever made. Even though it is 10 years old, there still are not many other shows these days that come even close to the quality of Samurai Jack, well at least IMO, ;)

D.