"Sailor Moon Crystal" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by GWOtaku, Jul 4, 2014.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

[​IMG]

The long-awaited moment is nigh: moon power is back like it's never been seen before with the magical girl anime Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal, Toei Animation's second retelling of Naoko Takeuchi's famous shoujo manga. While the original Sailor Moon anime that ran from 1992 to 1997 was based on Takeuchi's still-ongoing story, Sailor Moon Crystal has been promoted as a fresh retelling taking major inspiration from Takeuchi's completed work.

Viz Media acquired full distribution rights to Sailor Moon Crystal along with the original anime. Its official synopsis follows:

Watching Sailor Moon Crystal

Sailor Moon Crystal will be viewable at multiple sites. New episodes will debut online every two weeks on the first and third Saturday of every month at 7 PM in Japan, meaning a premiere time of 6 AM Eastern / 3 AM Pacific in the United States. Details for the stream follow below:

Crunchyroll: As usual, Crunchyroll will start out streaming Sailor Moon Crystal for their subscribers and then make episodes free to view seven days later. Crunchyroll's stream services the USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and Latin America (Central and South America including Mexico).

Hulu and Neon Alley: Viz Media's U.S.-exclusive stream. For viewers in the United States, this is a good, ad-supported free option that will be available right away.

Nico Nico: This is streaming Sailor Moon Crystal all across the globe in many different languages: English, Chinese (Traditional, Simplified), Korean, French, Italian, Spanish, German, Turkish, Portuguese, Indonesian and Malaysian. The preceding link is for the English language page. For links to pages for the other languages, their registration page and other information, consult this blog post. There is a catch with Nico Nico, as if I understand their wording right episodes will go behind a paywall after two weeks. Still, for fans around the world that aren't covered by Crunchyroll, this is your go-to option.

The Characters of Sailor Moon Crystal

Usagi Tsukino / Sailor Moon
    [​IMG]

"This story's main character, an eighth grader who's a bit clumsy and a crybaby. Her trademark is her double pigtail bun hairstyle. With her cheerful and innocent personality, Usagi can quickly end up becoming anyone's friend. As a Pretty Guardian, her guardian celestial body is the moon."

Japanese Voice Actress: Kotono Mitsuishi

Ami Mizuno / Sailor Mercury
    [​IMG]

"A genius girl with an IQ of 300. She's always studying, so she can become a doctor. Ami functions as the brains of the Guardians. With Mercury as her guardian planet, she's a warrior of knowledge who uses the power of water."

Japanese voice actress: Hisako Kanemoto

Rei Hino / Sailor Mars
    [​IMG]

"With a strong spiritual sense, she usually works as a shrine maiden to help her grandfather, a Shinto chief priest. Rei retains the ability to psychically sense danger even when she's a Guardian. With Mars as her guardian planet, she's a warrior of battle who uses the power of fire."

Japanese Voice Actress: Rina Satou

Makoto Kino / Sailor Jupiter
    [​IMG]

"A tall girl with great physical strength. She speaks in a manly manner, yet is still a boy-crazy girl at times. Makoto makes use of her great strength when she fights as a Guardian. With Jupiter as her guardian planet, she's a protective warrior who uses the power of lightning."

Japanese Voice Actress: Ami Koshimizu

Minako Aino / Sailor Venus
    [​IMG]

"She's been active as a Pretty Guardian since before the rest of them awakened. Minako's the leader of the four Guardians, but she's actually a little clumsy, and a fangirl. With Venus as her guardian planet, she's a warrior of love who uses the power of light."

Japanese Voice Actress: Shizuka Itou

Comments?

2. O-chan

O-chan Active Member

Well since I have a Crunchyroll subscription it looks like I'm the first one in.

Pretty much this episode played out exactly like Episode 1 of the Classic anime with nicer animation and specific details in the manga re-instated into the new anime (Mamoru wearing a Tuxedo, Naru-chan's mother tied up in the basement, Moon Tiara Boomerang, Luna standing on Usagi's shoulders at the end).

Ikuko-mama, Haruna Sensei, and Umino all get makeovers for this anime. The two females have softer and younger features and lighter hair. Umino's hair is spikier.

Everyone else looks like a more stylized manga version of their original designs. I notice that with this anime they are trying to give Mamoru a more visually appealing appearance.

I swear if I didn't know Kotono Mitsuishi was the only returning seiyuu I would think Mamoru and Luna came back as well.

Love the eyecatches which look like they belong in Utena.

Transformation sequence- Because of the CGI things look a little stiffer but I like how they still paid homage to the style of how she transformed in the old show.

I love how Azabu Juban looks this time around with a more detailed watercolor look. Way better than the then overly pink backgrounds from the Classic series.

Did we even see Queen Beryl in this episode (outside of the OP)?!

We also got to see a cameo from Ami at the end.

Love the new OP and ED songs and the fact that Crunchyroll is subbing them right from the get go. Like the Classic series we have the seiyuu's performing both this time around.

Nice start and I hope because of the more spread out schedule Toei is able to keep the quality consistent and not get cheap like they do with their other franchises.

3. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

Okay, so for the most part, it was a faithful adaptation of the first chapter. However, there were some obvious filler elements that made to stretch the chapter into a half hour episode. Also, I must warn everyone, that this show has a major plot spoiler for those who aren't familiar with previous versions (it was even one of the filler elements), which seems to be a possible problem with this show. That is, it seems to assume that the viewer is familiar with previous versions of the story. In fact, even the show's main illustration is technically a spoiler (that, along with the opening and ending sequences).

Overall though, it was good.

Oh yeah, I wasn't sure what to do about the Niconico stream, so I went to Hulu instead. I tried watching it on the NicoNnco "live" site, but it said it wasn't available in my region. I guess "worldwide" doesn't include the U.S. after all. Or did I approach it the wrong way? And (assuming it has them) what's with Toei removing the next episode previews of their international streams? It doesn't make sense to me. It's a minor gripe (mostly...), but still.

@ O-chan: No offense, but it actually plays out like chapter one of the manga, which the first series only loosely adapts. Also, no, Queen Beryl didn't appear in this episode. That's because she didn't appear in the manga yet at this point.

I also forgot to mention that I didn't like how the translators decided to spice up the subtitles by inserting a swear word in the scene where Usagi fights the youma (or "monster") as the subtitles would say. Besides that, she simply said "Nani kore" ("What is this?"). I also think they were to quick to have Naru call her a Sailor "Guardian". After all, this isn't supposed to be something Naru would know about (necessarily). I know that "Sailor Guardian" is the official english term for "sailor senshi", but I think the subtitled could have had her say something like fighter, or warrior, but that's just me.

4. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

It was amasing, great to see Sailor Moon in beautiful animation. Though I do we got a Sailor V animated adaption in some form. Are we ever going to see that story adapted in animation?

Mostly true to the manga, and I am surprised we got a ED, I thought Toei didn't do ED anymore?

5. Kazuya Prower

Kazuya Prower Keeping it Tails since 2005

I think the no ED thing only applies to One Piece.

Anyway, that was a great premiere. As someone who hasn't read the manga, I'm looking forward to how this series turns out. Mamoru and Luna sound exactly like their original anime counterparts.

6. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

Episode #1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Series Director Sakai Munehisa directed and storyboarded Episode #1 himself. Series Organizer Kobayashi Yuuji wrote Episode #1 himself. Character Designer Sakou Yukie performed the role of Chief Animation Supervisor for Animation Supevisor Komatsu Kozue, who herself also provided the second highest number of key animation cuts. Urata Yukihiro provided the highest number of key animation cuts.

Shida Naotoshi provided the key animation for the Sailor Senshi's attacks in the Opening. It is the only part of the episode not outsourced. Hayashi Yuuki and Yama'oka Naoko also provided for the Opening.

Episode #1 is painfully boring. The drawings are horrendous and don't communicate anything. Nevermind the 'delays' with the production of this series, the production committee ought to have placed more time into the production to allow for talented key animators to provide key animation for the series. Sakai's directing was suspect enough in the decision to use CG animation for certain cuts. The complete lack of interesting storyboarding, layouts, and key animation for the first episode of all episodes is very disconcerting, especially considering how Episode #2 looks like it won't be slavish to Sakou's designs.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
  7. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

I'm guessing, Jacob, that you follow, or are otherwise familiar with, the actual production process of animated projects, so you would know about these things. However--and please don't take offense--aren't you being just a tad unfair? With all due respect, it sounds to me like you're "judging a book by its cover" as it were (or in video game terms, judging a game by its graphics and/or graphical style). In my honest opinion, it gets the job done, pure and simple. I personally admit that I might not notice these things, but even if I did, I wouldn't necessarily hold it against the show. Maybe there are some things that could/would/should have been done production-wise, but it doesn't look that bad to me.

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

8. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

I certainly try. I've busted my balls trying to always provide some knowledge regarding an animated work if I'm going to post about it. I'm going to run out of things to say eventually if I don't acquire more knowledge about the things I like.

I am no more wrong than one criticizing acting, the use of music, or sound effects. This isn't a book, it's a dramatization. A book is the telling of stories through words, film and television is the telling of a story through multiple elements. The 'story' is merely one component of this proverbial bag of trail mix. The animation is the most expensive and time-consuming chocolate covered raisin in this bag of trail mix, it ought to be scrutinized, especially given what we know of the production and what is capable in animation. A single drawing can speak just as loud, if not more so, than words, music, or acting from a actor. Sakai and friends don't get a pass because "they're just graphics." We don't just scrutinize Head Writer Kobayashi Yuuji and place all of the success and failure on his shoulders.

None of the cuts in this episode were particularly effective in speaking anything of interest. Episode #1 was twenty minutes of being just there, rather than a production crew actively engaging in creating something they were in love with. The production committee members allocated their time and resources in a negligent manner, creating a less than inspiring Episode #1. I merely felt like refraining from refraining to mention this.

Episode #2 actually looks like it might be an improvement on that front, at least.

9. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

Nope, Digimon Xros Wars, Saint Seiya Omega also didn't have ED.

10. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

Re: Episode #1

This was actually my first experience with Sailor Moon, and I have to say I'm not too impressed so far. I guess the appeal is mainly for the many people who grew up on the franchise, and since it's a classic, it's obviously not going to feel the freshest, but I was still expecting a bit more for something this hyped. For some reason I convinced myself that Toei would be a little less lazy than they have been for something this big, but no such luck. That CG is pretty terrible, although I liked the transformation otherwise (not the only time CG was used, but at least there was less than there could've been overall). The cold open was very cinematic and proved that there's at least some hope for more effort being put into some scenes. Also, Momoiro Clover Z is pretty awesome, and that OP might have the most feminist lyrics I've heard in an anime theme in memory. Too bad our protagonist still has to be a negative stereotype for female characters anyway.

Well I'll stick with it anyway. It's certainly not unwatchable.

11. O-chan

O-chan Active Member

Ah, so they did remove the next episode previews in the Crunchyroll/Hulu streams. I also noticed that they had "I will punish you." in the Crystal stream. I wish Toei gave the American streamers more consistency between the incarnations of this show.

12. Looney Tunes Fan

Looney Tunes Fan Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

Does anyone know if the subs for Crystal are the same for both the Crunchyroll and Hulu streams?

13. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Not bad. The animation (and some of the new hairstyle) will take some use to but I still enjoy it.

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I'd honestly be fine without a Sailor V animated adaptation. I've read the two volumes a couple of times and it really didn't impress me. It feels like a rough draft to Sailor Moon and aside from the last couple of chapters in both volumes, most of the series wasn't interesting or engaging to me. Minako was pretty annoying as a lead, much more than Usagi ever felt to me, and I think working on her own and not having people to bounce off her personality with didn't help matters either. I wouldn't be against it if they did decide to do something with the Sailor V manga, but I'm certainly not going to ask for it either.

Usagi does get better over time though, so I don't think that she'll come off as a negative stereotype for female characters after they cover more of the manga.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was pretty good. It was a more faithful adaptation of the first chapter with better animation. Mamoru's new VA sounded really similar to his original one, especially when he was calling Usagi Ms. Bun-Head. Luna's new VA sounded a bit similar to her original voice, but not as much. I like most of the new design and even Usagi being so tall is kind of growing on me a bit. I really love the music so far. The opening theme was just awesome with really cool and empowering lyrics. The music when Usagi was transforming into Sailor Moon and then when she first announced herself to the monster was great too. As for the CGI during the transformation, it's not particularly good, but it didn't strike off as particularly bad to me either. Or maybe the nostalgic nods to the original transformation sequence balanced it out for me. The CGI quality did remind me of some of the Winx Club transformation sequences. I liked the eye catchers and title cards since they looked really nice.

I watched the series on Hulu, so I didn't know that they cut the episode preview. I just figured that they didn't include it. That's a bit odd, but I'll most likely keep watching the series on Hulu regardless. I have a better time with that site than Crunchyroll in regards to the ads. Overall, it was a fun episode that did feel like it would appeal a lot to nostalgia, but was still a solid start to the new series.

15. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

After finding out today who Sailor Venus english is going to be, I now more than ever want to see a Sailor V anime.

16. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

Good to know, since not liking Usagi seems to be my big difficulty in enjoying this first episode. You think we'll get more with other characters soon? I assume it'll take a while for Usagi to develop, which is understandable, but in the meantime it'd be nice to have some other characters to get attached to.

17. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

Almost every single person I know who has read/watched Sailor Moon (and that's a LOT of people) all prefer the supporting characters to Usagi herself, so I wouldn't worry. I'm sure you'll like the other characters.

18. Grenzer

Grenzer Well, he's almost a pony...

Yes, Usagi's development in the manga continuity is far deeper and more consistent than her '92 anime counterpart. She matures into a real heroine relatively early on. Not that she was aweful in the original anime either, fans tend to overblow that aspect, it is just that her growth was more spread out and the writers would often have her regress in order to get a joke in.

Sailor Moon is a series that takes time to grow on you anyway. Like most classic shows, you have to get past the hype surrounding it and appreciate it for what it is. I have not watched Episode 1 of Crystal yet, but it sounds like they did a solid job, if not as polished as I would have liked. Hopefully I'll be able to watch it in the next 24 hours and then give full commentary.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
  19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

Usagi never came off as too annoying to me, even with what I've seen of the original anime series where they tend to make her a bit more comical at times. She is significantly less whiny, for a lack of better term, in the manga from what I've read, which reminds me that I still need to get the last three volumes one of these days. Most people tend to prefer the other characters over Usagi, but going off the manga, most of the Inner Guardians really didn't do much for me personality wise or didn't have enough attention to be more fleshed out. They usually do have some good moments here or there in most of the arcs and maybe those moments could be fleshed out more once Crystal covers them.

20. O-chan

O-chan Active Member

I gotta be honest, decades ago my first exposure to Sailor Moon was a fansub of Eps. 44-45 (yep THOSE episodes) and throughout my anime club viewing I hated Usagi with a passion. The dub premiere made me have a better opinion of her and by the time I was regularly exposed to the Japanese version she grew on me. Her character development is more consistent in the manga but I kind of like her more rounded development in the anime (except SuperS which seemed to drop all her positive traits except for key episodes) where she still felt like she was the same character at her core just a little more experienced and mature. Sometimes her manga version seriousness got a little too Shakespearean in nature.