1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Sabrinas Through Time II" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

2. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

Having rented a DVD of some Filmation Archie cartoons a few years ago, I agree wholeheartedly with your disgust with those VAs. Even today, I try not to imagine those voices when I read the comics. However, I do try to imagine Sabrina, Salem, and Sabrina's aunts sounding like they did in the live-action Sabrina the Teenage Witch TV show (even though Beth Broderick's voice doesn't really fit the fat Aunt Zelda from the old comics).
    By any chance, did you see the Robot Chicken sketch "Archie's Final Destination"? Some of the characters still didn't sound exactly like how I imagine, but they still came closer than Filmation's cast did.
    Also, the children in that vitamins commercial did kind of a lousy job keeping eye contact with the cartoon animals. The first one looked more stoned than surprised when first "seeing" them.

#2 Dsneybuf, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
  3. J.E.Smith

J.E.Smith Active Member

Hey Peter about your comment about the VAs being people who "don't sound like professional voice actors, they sound like people who'd never worked in cartoons before", that's kind of a false statement: Filmation's Jughead was Howard Morris, who had already done plenty of work for Hanna-Barbara and Disney (Such as singing the Epp Opp Ork song in The Jetsons and being the original voices of Atom Ant, Mr. Peebles from Magllia Gorilla and Winnie The Pooh's Gopher), and later went on to do Wade in Garfield and Friends. Archie was done by Dallas McKennon, who was the voice of Gumby and also has a record of doing voices for Disney films and Disney park attractions: Dallas McKennon by Steve Burns - StartedByAMouse.com Features Section.

Archie may not have been their best work, but to say they never worked in cartoons before is slamming the rest of their careers.

4. Alex Sarosi

Alex Sarosi Member

Blame the voice director, who most likely wanted WACKY voices because it was a cartoon.

Filmation also had a deeper budget because Bristol Myers probably wanted to give kids a good impression about their products.

#4 Alex Sarosi, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
  5. Urvy1A

Urvy1A Guest

I found it as a nice history lesson though. The voices in the Filmation Archie cartoons are indeed cringe-worthy.

If there is a 14th Sabrina, would she fight Mega Man? Or will The Blue Bomber have to fight all 13 Sabrinas?