Sabrina movie in the works

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Peter Paltridge, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword! Moderator

And to be honest, it doesn't sound half-bad.
    http://io9.com/5901425/sabrina-the-teenage-witch-getting-a-movie-and-a-superhero-reboot

.....I'm not touching the girl-cat relationship idea....

....but this isn't a Ninja Turtle-type problem. No one can really argue "NOT CANON" or "THE CREATOR WOULDN'T HAVE DONE THAT" with Sabrina, because she's got the loosest backstory of any Archie character. Dan DeCarlo, Bob Bolling and Dan Parent all interpreted her differently, and ever since the sitcom, they've rebooted her nearly every five years. There has never been a strict set of rules for what the Teenage Witch has to be like (a planned article on my site is going to be all about this). But what do you think?

2. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Uh.....can't really give much an opinion i did watch the series mostly half of it the other not so much since i felt it ran out of ideas. When they always say edgier it doesn't sound good in my opinion, yeah very original......turning Salem into a prince and Sabrina love interest......how original....

3. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

On the one hand I think it's cool that Sabrina is getting a movie.

On the other hand I guess it'll be the same as Josie and The Pussycats, and George Gladir and Dan DeCarlo's family ain't gonna get shock. So that sucks.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator Moderator

To be honest, turning Salem into Sabrina's love interest sounds extremely weird. While it's true that Sabrina has gone through different interpretation, I still mainly associate her with the sitcom, as well as with a couple of animated series that they had around the same time the sitcom was really popular, so hearing that Salem is a prince and a love interest just sounds too weird for me. Still, I'm willing to at least listen to news about this movie and check out a trailer that they'll eventually have. It could be a fun movie, although I agree that edgier does not always make a movie stronger.

5. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts

You know I don't know why they have to make Salem a transformed prince. I mean they could just have another character fill that role since really I always associated as Salem being a Spellman related to Sabrina's family and more a pet/friend then a lover. Then again from what I remember of the show his male human form was suppose to be a charmer and I get why they're having him become the romantic interest: though there are a lot of goofy elements in the Sabrina canon, Salem the talking cat by far was the most wacky and cornball at least based on his initial character. And well being a puppet in the TV show a lot of the time. So obviously if they want to tell a more edgy Sabrina story they would have to do something to make him more edgy so i guess "troubled curse prince" is the first thing they could think of. In truth this feels like they're trying to do the whole "young adult female book series" edit with Sabrina since that's what popular and trying to make magical tales or fairy tales more dark and adult yet give them PG-13s so they can't be too edgy and dark. Which in truth doesn't make for a better movie since really wasn't Sabrina always suppose to be fairly light hearted and happy go lucky anyway? I don't see why that should be changed but eh that's executives for you: always trying to ruin ideas by making them like what's popular but I'll still at least give the movie a chance since yeah I was a fan of the sitcom when it aired.

Hmmm you think if the Sabrina movie is popular they'll try an Archie and Friends movie? Really that seems like something that should of been done by now with how long Archie has been around and with how it wouldn't have to be a terribly expensive movie or anything. Really how come that never got a movie at all, even before Josie and the Pussycat's movie?

6. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

You bring a good point Neo, of all the comics they could have pick it's odd that they didn't pick Archie....probably afraid of Lawsuit? What i also think that when it comes to movies they change alot of stuff for one example the one of Salem recently so probably the guys who have the rights of Archie don't want to see any changes on the characters.