1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Saban's Power Rangers" Movie Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Tommy Lawson, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's morphin time!

[​IMG]

Power Rangers
    Release date: March 24, 2017
    Studio: Lionsgate
    Director: Dean Israelite
    MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sequences of sci-fi violence, action and destruction, language, and for some crude humor)
    Screenwriters: Screenplay By John Gatins and Story By Matt Sazama & Burk Sharpless and Michele Mulroney & Kieran Mulrone
    Starring: Dacre Montgomery, Naomi Scott, RJ Cyler, Ludi Lin, Becky G., Elizabeth Banks, Bryan Cranston , and Bill Hader

Plot Summary: Five ordinary teens must become something extraordinary when they learn that their small town of Angel Grove - and the world - is on the verge of being obliterated by an alien threat. Chosen by destiny, our heroes quickly discover they are the only ones who can save the planet. But to do so, they will have to overcome their real-life issues and before it's too late, band together as the Power Rangers

Discuss Power Rangers right here! Sound off!

Related Threads:
    -Power Rangers Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, so please keep your posts as thoughtful, relevant and insightful as possible. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. Most importantly, please keep discussions ON-TOPIC!

Saban's Power Rangers has Thursday previews tonight. Will this movie will become part of a six movie arc, as Haim Saban said to Variety?

• Like Like x 1
    #1 Tommy Lawson, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  2. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

For those curious, the only extra is right before the end credits, so if you wish to leave before the credits are completely done you're not missing anything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Jason David Frank managed to get himself kicked out of the VIP screening, from The Hollywood Reporter. Keep in mind that screening was attended by Lionsgate and Saban Brands people too.

As for the movie itself, I would say, "it's good, but not good enough." If this movie existed in a vacuum, and there were no other superhero movie options out there, you can get good entertainment value from this film. However, there are other superhero movies competing with this, and it's tough to stand out. Power Rangers feels more behind-the-times than the other ones, especially by choosing to begin with an origin story that keeps the Ranger suits out-of-action for a large percentage of the film.

There were plot gaps, mostly trying to figure out what was happening to the Rangers during the times they themselves do not recall, such as after the train collision. I was hoping that rather than an "all or nothing" morph setup, there have been an "incomplete" state, where they might get some of the armor, but not all of it. I was disappointed they chose to reuse the 1995 movie version of the theme song, as that was the perfect opportunity to get a new version out there, either sung by a big name artist, or a fan favorite like PelleK. There was a noticeable lack of an extended in-suit Ranger battle sequence on the ground, as they went to the zords quickly. My first impression of Brian Tyler's score is that it sounds too similar to other movie music cues, and there is a distinctive lack of the Go Go Power Rangers music cue used throughout the film, except for that time with the 1995 movie version. I have heard that Go Go Power Rangers cue used as a ringtone many times, so it was incredibly odd to find it missing so much from the film, although a new instrumental version of it does play sometime during the end credits roll.

I actually found Rita Repulsa to have less characterization than some of the villains of the TV show. She is obsessed with collecting gold to bring back Goldar, hates Zordon, and that's about it. If she had similar motivations as characters like Lothor and Mesogog, I would have found her to be a more interesting villain. Even though her actions make her more sinister than what would be shown in the TV show, still, she feels like she wouldn't be ranked among PR's top villains if placed on equal footing.

The Ranger characters were okay, although I do think Billy stood out more as a character than the others did, even Jason, who is supposed to be leader of the team. What I found disappointing is that while Zordon mentions the 3 rules of power fans are familiar with, we do not see why those rules matter to these Rangers. And I guess that may be the biggest problem with the movie: fans already know the Power Rangers, and this movie is reintroducing them, when we have already seen similar experiences what these Rangers go through, from other superhero movies, and even within the Power Rangers show itself.

4. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Just saw the movie. RECOMMEND IT. :D

Detailed discussion follows:

This is the best Starship Troopers movie ever made. Ok, ok, ALIENS had better story, characters, and villains. But the Power Rangers movie is closer to the Heinlien's Starship Troopers novel. Not only does the movie feature Power suits, but it also takes most of the time to show the training, growth, and personal motivations of the heroes. Johnny Rico (book version) has more in common with these kids than the Ververhoven version. In addition the esprit de corps feels right out of the Mobile Infantry.

Power Rangers is far from the American Super Sentai chessefest of the 1990's. Its more of a cross between Starship Troopers (minus the political commentary) and The Breakfast Club. (In fact the movie nicely homages the classic 80's movie a bit). It has better writing, plot, and effects than the TV show, though admittedly that isn't too hard to do. :p Kidding aside, the tv show wasn't trying to be a great magnum opus.

The movies does more than I expected, it helps that the heroes feel like actual teenagers.They have their urges, their home problems, the typical flaws that most teens have, and this is before the evil space witch shows up. I can still remember how rough adolescence is, and took college courses on human development to know the details of what goes into a teenagers mind at that time. This gives the movie more authenticity, keeping it grounded and I can relate. Some older fans may not remember this and might find their angst a bit unlikable, but puberty in High School was anything but nice. Also, the angst is kept to a bare minimum - no Shinji level issues here.

For those who enjoy sci-fi or sci-fantasy, the movie still has tons of this. There's enough worldbuilding to be interesting, but mysterious enough to get the audience to wonder. Much like the tv series, the fanastic elements feel right in place in Pulp Scifi, and being a fan of that era (of the good stuff at least) that was enjoyable. Those seeking Hard scifi, well, better head over to the next theater over where GitS or LIFE is playing.

Overall, it was an average movie from an objective view. But having grown up on Power Rangers, I actually cried tears of joy seeing the climax. Few movies have gotten me to shed tears - The Ten Commandments and American Sniper for being excellent films. But while Power Rangers isn't to the quality of those films, it brought me back to when I was a young kid seeing Power Rangers on TV. To remember those good times, while enjoying the movie for its own merits, makes me proud to seen this movie.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

6. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

8. Storm Eagle

I think Target would have a bonus disc of extra special features, and also, maybe different slipcovers that feature a ranger. That's what they did for the release of the TMNT movie from 2014. Anyway, an extra disc of special features is something I'm more likely to go for.

I was also thinking Best Buy would offer steelbooks. They look cool, but I'm not generally interested in them.

I can see Walmart offering some sort of special packaging, which wouldn't stand out to me as much either. A store exclusive from them would probably include some sort of literature, which could be interesting.

9. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Do people really want a Steelbook for this movie?

10. Storm Eagle

5/3: Steelbooks look cool to people. I don't see why this movie can't have one.

Anyway, special features have been announced:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/power-rangers2.html

5/15: Target's exclusive for the Power Rangers movie is steelbook packaging (sorry, TheVileOne), and a 54-page graphic novel, which is actually Power Rangers Aftershock.

https://www.target.com/p/saban-s-po...raphic-novel-blu-ray-dvd-digital/-/A-52436760

I'm passing on this. For one thing, although steelbook packaging can look pretty cool, it's something I can live without. Additionally, its copies of the novel aren't even the full version, which has 96 pages. Before we knew just what stores would have what, two retailers were said to have exclusive bonus features, and one of them would have them available digitally. So those would have to be Best Buy and Wal-Mart. Best Buy has a listing for what might be their exclusive, but still no cover art, or any other information. Walmart had listings for the DVD, Blu-ray, and 4K Blu-ray versions, but they've since been taken down. They have yet to put them back up.

5/23: Best Buy's exclusive copies of the movie will have slipcovers with different artwork, fold-out packaging, and five character cards.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sabans-...d-only--best-buy-2017/5883872.p?skuId=5883872

I'd be interested in getting this for the cards. I'd like to know what they say on the backs of them. The listing currently says its sold out, but it probably only says that until they straighten things out with the item. I'm also pretty sure there will be plenty in the stores once they're released.

Now I just want to know what Wal-Mart's exclusive will be.

6/22: Someone got the Wal-Mart exclusive version of the movie already, and they show its slipcover art here, which differentiates it from all the other store-exclusive versions. Their version also comes with an extra disc of special features.

• Like Like x 1
    #10 Storm Eagle, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2017
  11. Storm Eagle

Hassan Ahmed does a review of the Best Buy exclusive version of the PR movie release and shows off the packaging, as well as the cards included. I was right about the cards having profiles on the backs of them, but they also have fun facts. There are six cards, and they're of the five rangers and Rita Repulsa.

Now that I've seen all that the Best Buy exclusive has to offer, I'll just stick to getting the Wal-Mart exclusive.

12. Storm Eagle

Well the movie got a mention on Jeopardy! earlier tonight, in a category called "Let's Stay Home". The "answer" went like this:

"Let's stay home & do cosplay; I'm the pink one of these superpowered teens who fight Elizabeth Banks in a 2017 movie."

Someone actually guessed it right.