1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Saban Talkback: The Quest For Ratings - Saban Discussion V5

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Light Lucario, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThisGuyTony

ThisGuyTony Member

I've been watching the block since Digimon premiered a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately I missed the block this morning. :/

I also want Sonic X to be replaced but I wonder if it's doing well in the ratings. I remember it always did well when it aired on 4Kids/Toonzai.

2. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Thanks. I'll fix it. The schedule posted on Saban's Facebook had "The Greatest Story Never Told" too. I remember they had an error with an episode of The Spectacular Spider-Man a few weeks ago, but the listings fixed that prior to airing.

About Sonic X... if it does go a different network, it will likely be Nicktoons (Saban and Nickelodeon networks seem to go hand in hand), The Hub (I mean, I'm sure Sonic X is going to do better things for them than that mutant terrapin show, and just like it, it has iconic characters - I know I've been gunning for Beetleborgs to air on The Hub, and while it was more successful than that turtle show, the Beetleborgs are hardly iconic - Sonic X would be more likely) or Disney XD (they did air Sonic Underground in summer of '12 - they may have wanted Sonic X but with 4Kids' lawsuit they may not have wanted to touch it then - according to the ravegrl site, the same thing happened with Yu-Gi-Oh! on Nicktoons). The time for it to be on Cartoon Network is long gone - it would have made a good addition to the Miguzi block back in 2004 or 2005 alongside TMNT and Winx Club, but I don't see CN wanting a third party show that ended seven and a half years ago.

I don't think being run into the ground on broadcast TV would hurt the chances of it being on The Hub, Nicktoons, or Disney XD because if kids have those networks, I doubt they're watching Vortexx/Toonzai/CW4Kids so it would still see a new audience, not to mention the fact that Yu-Gi-Oh! has somewhat been run into the ground over the last 12 and a half years on broadcast TV (though that's a bit questionable since it has far more episodes and some of the later ones have been rerun much less than some of the earlier ones) and that didn't stop it from reaching Nicktoons. Regardless, I'm sure it's not really a priority for Saban, because even if they remove it from the block, they can still stream it online and hopefully get a good DVD release for it via Shout! Factory or New Video Group.

To be frank, I actually would not have been surprised if Saban's oft-mentioned live action show about those mutant terrapins had ended up on Syfy instead of The Hub. I know Syfy obviously targets a different demographic than Saban's shows, including said show, do, but based on the nature of the show and the nature of the network, Next Mutation looks more like Syfy material than The Hub. Plus, The Nightmare Room (remember that show? Not likely) is on Chiller, too.

Regardless, I don't think Sonic X would ever be on Toonami. Nicktoons or The Hub is more likely, since it still actually scores high among kids and it seems up kids networks' alley.

3. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

A "complete" dub and sub of all Yu-Gi-Oh! series (minus the Toei version, obviously), huh? If they were to redub (and not just "re-record", but actually redub) the whole thing from the beginning then I might be interested in both (yes, I could look into the subtitled version, but in this case, it's not that easy). They wouldn't even have to do it in sequence, they could redub multiple series simultaneously. However, I get the feeling that that might not be possible, especially since New Video Group is releasing the existing "dub" on DVD. Moreover, even I were to look into the aforementioned subbed version, it would have to be an actual subtitled version, and not a "dub-titled" version.

All of that said, I should point out that certain edits to the show would have had to have been made anyway, regardless of who had licensed and produced it.

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

While a redub would be awesome, I don't think that was going to happen, even before New Video re-releasing the DM season sets. It would probably be too expensive for them to consider going that route, especially when legal subs are less expensive. They also still have the rest of Zexal to dub and a new series to work with, so redubbing hundreds of episodes probably wouldn't sound too appealing to them. If the 5D's subs are any indication, legal subs wouldn't be a dub-tilted sub version like what those uncut DVDs had. The characters would be referred by their Japanese names, but the cards would be referred to by their English names.

5. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

I think that YuGiOh: Duel Monsters DOES have the potential to be redubbed. But only many years from now...

6. Sonic_Eclipse

Sonic_Eclipse Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!

Why would they waste money on redubbing a series that will be even less relevant in the future than it is now? Who would buy it?

This is Yu-Gi-Oh!, a franchise primarily made to sell merchandise to kids. This isn't some renowned timeless classic.

7. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

There are shows like Gatchaman that got a redub after being a hit with kids in edited form. It took 30 years but it has been done.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I really don't think that's going to happen with Yu-Gi-Oh! DM though. Unlike with Gatchaman, there are more new series released regularly and the spin-off series primarily exist to promote the newest cards. I don't really see them redubbing DM years from now. It is the only series where I think that there could be enough demand for a redub, but I really don't think that they'll do it.

9. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

UGH! I got reminded of that godawful new Gatchaman Crowds.

10. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

What's wrong with Gatchaman Crowds? I've been watching it on Anime Network On Demand and I think it's a pretty good show. In fact, I'd like to see it on Vortexx; the only thing they'd really have to edit is Utsu-tsu's outfit.

11. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

The ending.

12. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

I have yet to see it (or any Gatchaman show, for that matter), but it looks to be more a show for Toonami, in my opinion, especially considering the original Moltar block aired G-Force (Turner's edit job of the original).

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm still trying to think of a title for the next thread, but I can't really think of one beyond some Yu-Gi-Oh! related ones.

14. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

I think a Yu Gi Oh one would be fitting since Arc-V is coming but lets ask the others!

15. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

I'm thinking "Saturday Standstill".

16. Mohji

Mohji Member

Sounds quite fitting.

17. FidgitStyles

How about "Well We Were Trying, But Then..."

The problem with a Yu-gi-Oh Arc V title will be the fact that if Vortexx airs all of Zexal's new episodes nonstop then Arc V won't air until about this time next year.

18. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

I really hope they do air all of Zexal, despite its badness...

19. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm assuming they'd air together.

20. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

I'm for "Saturday Standstill".

And unless the fanbase for Yu-Gi-Oh! is still strong if/when new cards and anime stops production (how likely is that to happen anyway?), don't count on a redub.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.