Saban Talkback: The Quest For Ratings - Saban Discussion V5

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Light Lucario, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

Welcome to the fifth talkback for Saban's new Saturday Morning block the Vortexx. The lineup for the block is currently listed here: MyVortexx | Vortexx on the CW

A couple of noticeable changes have happened since the last talkback thread began. We're still awaiting the return to the Digital World with Digimon Fusion not airing on the block yet. It has began its run on Nickelodeon, but no air date for the Vortexx beyond 2014. WWE Slam has also been cancelled and Spectacular Spider-Man will be airing its second season, which are labeled as brand new episodes. What other changes are in store here. Will Digimon Fusion air on the Vortexx, will any Power Rangers season air on the block again and will we ever know what Ganganma Girls/Glitter Force is? Find out as we continue the discussion of the block.

2. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

I really hope That If Gangnam Girls is Pretty Cure's working name it wont air with that name.

3. Sonic_Eclipse

Sonic_Eclipse Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!

Wasn't it already confirmed that Gangnam Girls was changed to Glitter Force?

4. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

Either way, it still hasn't been confirmed whether or not it's one of the Pretty Cure series (which, as I've said before, I hope it isn't).

5. gmster

gmster Active Member

An article that further proves the point that linear television is increasingly becoming obsolete with children:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/11/b...ho-cant-wait.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&ref=media

6. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

I guess you are right. Still, Vortexx is pretty nice for action lovers who dont like PBS Kids.

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

That was an interesting read and it really does show how a weekly block like the Vortexx is obsolete in this day and age. There are so many means for kids to watch shows whenever they want to that, as the article mentioned, they are unaware of having to wait for a specific time to watch shows. It kind of makes me feel weird since I couldn't help but remembering how if I missed an episode of Pokemon back when it was airing on Kids WB, I'd have to wait nearly a week to see it again. Kids nowadays are lucky in that regard in that they have so many ways to watch new episodes, or repeats, whenever they want to. It doesn't help something like the Vortexx, but it does give them more choices.

8. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

I wish Vortexx had that impressive online presence they once boasted they would have.

9. Ryan Neely

Ryan Neely New Member

Maybe someday Vortexx will be online only.

10. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

This schedule came out sooner than I expected. (I think it was out yesterday but I was too busy/tired to reply)

Vortexx Schedule: November 16, 2013
    7:00 AM The Adventures of Chuck and Friends #2 "Tough Break / Little Big Chuck"
    7:30 AM Rescue Heroes #7 "Arctic Spill"
    8:00 AM Sonic X #65 "Mission: Match-Up"
    8:30 AM Bolts and Blip #18 "Moon Invasion" US Broadcast Television Premiere
    9:00 AM The Spectacular Spider-Man #14 "Blueprints" US Broadcast Television Premiere
    9:30 AM Justice League Unlimited #87 "Grudge Match"
    10:00 AM Dragon Ball Z Kai #54 "Goku Vanishes Into Space! Welcome Home, Super Warriors!"
    10:30 AM B-Daman Crossfire #14 "Crossfire is... Can It Be True?" World Premiere English Dub Episode
    11:00 AM Yu-Gi-Oh! #47 "Dungeon Dice Monsters - Part 2"
    11:30 AM Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL #87 "Dual Duel - Part 1" World Premiere English Dub Episode

This week:
    - Premieres of B-Daman Crossfire and ZEXAL continue
    - Network premieres of Bolts and Blip continue
    - The Spectacular Spider-Man starts season 2; airing on broadcast TV for the first time

11. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

Glad it came soon. I hope ratings stay high till Digimon Fusion comes...

12. PokemonTVDub

PokemonTVDub Member

Just wondering, do we know when the contract between Vortexx and Konami is set to expire? I still think Zexal will move to Nicktoons as soon as it expires.

13. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

I think sometime in 2015, last we heard. And Zexal is already on Nicktoons.

Heck, we might even be onto another Yu-Gi-Oh series by the time the Vortexx contract expires.

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

Considering that the current arc in the Japanese version of Zexal gives off a final arc vibe, that is entirely possible. Even if it isn't the last arc, I can't see the series lasting more than one more arc at this rate, so it will most likely end by sometime next year with a fifth series following it. If this is the last arc, then we might hear something about a new series in the next couple of months since I think they announced 5Ds and Zexal around November or December before the previous series ended. They might even renew the contract, especially if it expires in the middle of a new series, and the Japanese companies still might want it to air on broadcast TV. If they do announce a new series within the near future, that does make me wonder how they'll handle Zexal's dub. They should have more man power and financial stability than 4Kids did in its last few years, so they could finish off Zexal's dub and start on the new series, or at least there's a better chance for that to happen.

15. Ryan Neely

Ryan Neely New Member

A new Yu-Gi-Oh series could be good news for the ratings.

16. PokemonTVDub

PokemonTVDub Member

But wasn't it Konami who would've authorized 4Kids to not finish GX and 5D'S so the television series would better advertise the latest cards? I wouldn't be too sure Konami will stop this awful trend.

17. PC!

PC! lolwut?

I don't think a new Yu-Gi-Oh series has EVER been particularly good for ratings. :p At least not for very long.

18. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

I think it was more that 4kids took too long to dub shows. That and their bankrupcy.

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

That would be nice, but pretty unlikely considering how the last couple of new series have turned out in terms of ratings.

No, that wasn't the case at all. I think that was often speculated about, especially after GX's dub was unfinished, but that was never mentioned in any official statement made by 4Kids. I remember back when they were answering questions on their YouTube channel that they said that they didn't have the resources to finish GX and begin working on 5Ds. With 5Ds, they said on the Toonzai Facebook page that it was because of poor ratings and their bankruptcy clearly didn't help matters either. I don't know why Konami would tell them to not finish GX and 5Ds anyway. I could see them wanting to start up a dub for a new series to promote the newest cards right away, but there shouldn't be any reason as to why they couldn't finish the previous series and start working on the newest series to dub. It would seem like a really bad call to make considering that leaving one series with an incomplete dub would be a waste of their primary source of promoting the cards in the first place. If Zexal does have an incomplete dub, it would be more likely that they didn't have the resources to handle more than one dub at a time.

20. Ryan Neely

Ryan Neely New Member

I think I read something somewhere that said that they originally intended on finishing GX after a hiatus. I guess it was scrapped when the ratings were bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.