1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Saban Talkback: The Phoenix Rises - The Saban Discussion V1

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by D Dubbs, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Greetings, and welcome to the first ever Saban Talkback! While Haim Saban seemed to go under the radar after he sold Saban Entertainment to Disney, in 2010 he made the shocking announcement that he reacquired the license to Power Rangers. Now, two years later, he's once again looking to helm his own Saturday morning block and has acquired The CW's 5-hour Saturday morning block from 4Kids Entertainment.

While little is known about the block so far, we do know that it will be called The Vortexx and will premiere on August 25th. It will air both Yu-Gi-Oh! and Power Rangers (which particular seasons and/or series of those franchises has yet to be announced). This thread is the place to follow the next era of Saturday morning broadcast television. Welcome to The Vortexx.

2. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

It seems Lost Galaxy will be the first Power Rangers Season aired on the Vortex.

3. 4Kids4EverFandom

4Kids4EverFandom Active Member

So i think we as of right now know 2 shows that will be on the block, Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal and Powers Rangers Lost Galaxy.

I Found on the 4Kids talkback a court document stating that it will air Sneak Peaks and also air new episodes on their as well, in case you were wondering.

4. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

I really hope we'll see The Vortexx airing cartoons on Friday as a Sneak Peek!

5. spidey4545

spidey4545 Fox Kids Historian
    Reporter

If they did, it would only be a one time thing. The CW used to give one 30 minute afternoon timeslot to 4Kids every year, but I'm not sure if this was part of the deal with Saban.

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm pretty sure that it was also confirmed somewhere in the 4Kids talkback thread that they would continue airing DM reruns in the fall. Though, I think that they would only have one slot for the series instead of two.

I am surprised that they'll air Lost Galaxy first. I thought that they would air either Samurai or the first Power Rangers season. Regardless, I am eager to see what else they have in store for the block, especially the sneak peak to their new lineup.

7. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Something from the last thread I just wanted to point out...

That's nothing new. That's been the case since Kids' WB! was a five-hour block in January 2006. It's always been from 7am-12pm on all affiliates and has been that way all through The CW4Kids and Toonzai days. I'm assuming WB/CW probably thinks 6am is too early to wake up. If any affiliates do start it at 6am or air it at a different time, that's the affiliate's choice. I know veemonjosh has mentioned that the last two hours of the block (currently DBZ Kai and Yu-Gi-Oh!) air on Sunday mornings in his area, and I know that in areas with The CW Plus, it does air from 6am-11pm in Central Time Zone, but that's a fixed schedule with two feeds.

I'm interested in seeing what the new block has to offer myself. I'm a little surprised they're starting at Lost Galaxy, I was actually wondering if they were going to start with Wild Force since it's the first to not air on a Saban-owned block yet. I personally don't care that much for Power Rangers anymore (though I did recently get into SPD via Netflix), but this might be interesting to see.

8. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

Sounds like Haim and crew are busy at work restoring their Saturday morning empire to its former glory. Maybe one day (read maybe; I'm not saying it will happen for sure, it'd just be nice) they'll buy back all the stuff they sold to Disney 11 years back. Maybe then the Saban balance will truly be restored (that, and a Monday-Friday block, but that's what they've got the internet version of Vortexx for).

9. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No, I do not think Saban can get everything they sold back from Disney. Somehow, I don't think Disney is willing to part with the 1992 X-Men, 1994 Spider-man, or 1999 Avengers series they got in the Fox Family deal, for reasons that should be obvious. :) Other shows like Eek the Cat and The Terrible Thunderlizards I could see them getting, since I don't believe Disney really has a place for those shows at the moment.

Also, do any of you think the title of the thread should be changed to "Vortexx discussion" instead of mentioning Saban twice?

10. powergate92

powergate92 Power Rangers and Stargate fan

Nope, it's just during the "Broadcast Period," which is "During the Transition Period through the start of the 2012 – 2013 broadcast year in mid-September, 2012," they'll "continue to broadcast two hours of Yu-Gi-Oh programming (one-hour of Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal and one-hour of Yu-Gi-Oh Classic)." Nothing has been confirmed about Yu-Gi-Oh Classic airing after the Broadcast Period ends in mid-September.

11. MadMan400096

I actually forgot about those ones, since they're the only ones Disney seems to give a crap about. Obviously, there's no selling those, but the rest are fair game. Like Peter Paltridge said about why none of the Fox Kids produced shows will get on DVD, they were just add-ons to the ABC Family deal. At this point, they couldn't care less about what happens to those shows.

12. spidey4545

Reporter

All of the Yu-Gi-Oh! DM episodes will finish airing on August 11th (through the Final Duel episodes), so it's possible that it will be removed from the schedule permanently as of August 18th. Since that's a week before the season premiere, my guess is that preview programming could air in its timeslot instead.

You may be wondering how I came up with that date and it's because as of July 21st, three episodes of DBZ Kai will air and take over one of Yu-Gi-Oh!'s timeslots.

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought it was confirmed that DM reruns would air after the transition period, but I guess I was mistaken. I could see them keeping one slot for DM and another for Zexal, but that would depend on what else they have planned for the lineup.

Three episodes of DBZ Kai seems like a bit much for the block, but maybe they're planning on airing new episodes and want to get through the reruns sooner in order to premiere them with the new block.

14. 4Kids4EverFandom

4Kids4EverFandom Active Member

It Appears that Zexal will definitely air on Vortexx! According to this email i got from elie dekel after i sent a letter saying that with the schedule in process i was asking him if he knew if Zexal will be on the network and he said this!

So i'm guessing One Episode of Zexal and possibly one episode of DM, or GX.

15. spidey4545

Reporter

I don't believe that there are any plans to air GX.

16. gmster

gmster Active Member

From the 4kids thread:
    I only ask because I know 5D's and Zexal are HD, but 4kids probably didn't air them that way because of technical limitations of the editing machinery they use for visual edits and such. At least that's what I think is going on.

But, newer episodes of Power Rangers are in HD on Nickelodeon, if they aired only in standard-def on CW it would be a downgrade.

For people like me that have HDTV's, standard-def programs that are widescreen like the Zexal dub are pillar-boxed, which is really annoying. It's basically a non-anamorphic 4:3 image on a 16:9 screen. If the newer Power Rangers episodes aired on CW, that's what would happen unless the block is in HD.

17. Mohji

Mohji Member

I have to wonder if there will be some sort of farewell event for Toonzai on August 18th. I certainly hope that 4Kids can at least go out with a bang.

18. spidey4545

Reporter

It could also be to repeat all of the episodes before the new schedule starts...

19. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

I hope so too. I have love in my heart for 4Kids: they gave me Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon, two of the best shows from my childhood. It always bugged me Kids WB and Fox Kids never had a farewell, and I hope 4Kids at least acknowledges the end. After all, this is pretty much the death of this company.

20. MadMan400096

That's right. In HD, there's less of that annoying pillarbox garbage. Unfortunately, in my market, The CW airs on a cable-only network that only provides an HD feed, meaning we get stupid pillarboxes not just on Saturday morning programming, but on all CW programming. I've talked to my city's cable company (Charter) to fix that, though. Of course, even then, said station (Pioneer Valley CW 16/13; Google that) apparently doesn't provide its own HD feed, so the other cable company in my market (the notorious Comcast) has to use the next best thing: WCCT (Connecticut's CW affiliate), which has this dumb practice of splitting up Toonzai with the first three hours on Saturday and the remaidner on Sunday, both starting at 7. Granted, it doesn't affect the actual CW's primetime programs, but still, what the frig?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.