1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Saban Talkback: Saturday Standstill - Saban Talkback V6

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Light Lucario, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sunnydee

Sunnydee Member

Is it possible that they gave up on the block in year 2 because they were unable to get an extension beyond this year?

Although the article says "Saban Brands pulls the plug on the Vortexx". Does this mean that it was Saban's decision to stop the block instead of the CW's?

2. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Much, MUCH more. I don't want SOME new shows and mostly reruns of old shows that aired on other networks. I want a LOT of new shows, shows I can't see or haven't seen anywhere else. Vortexx failed miserably in that regard.

3. Golfkid

Golfkid Active Member

I think 4K would probably be smart to try and get Zexal onto CN more than Nicktoons. I know there was a bump, but I remember there also was a bump back when 5D's got on CN. Plus, most people don't get Nicktoons, but i know 5D's partly ended early due to bad ratings, so they must care somewhat about that.

4. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

I think this should just be the final Saban thread. There's really no point in making new ones when the main reason for them is on death row.

That said, I am sad to see Vortexx go. While it wasn't perfect, its first year was great, with all those surprises, even if only a quarter of the holiday specials (Tiny Toons) was worth the time. Sadly, the last season, while still having some decent shows, and giving us an awesome Marvel show, still seemed like it was waiting for death.

Still, there's one thing I don't get: Spidey said there'd be a mix of new to America shows and new to broadcast shows. Yet all look new to anywhere. The closest to the latter is some teens' edition of National Geographic's Dog Whisperer.

5. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Well, Viacom actually currently has the cable rights to the original through Zexal, so I'm not sure how likely that is to happen. Arc-V, on the other hand, has a shot at being on CN.

6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

The Yu-Gi-Oh! shows all used to air re-runs (and even some premiers) on CN, so I think that;d be the best move. Arc-V would work well next to Pokémon, Beyblade, and Tenkai Knights, and on CN, the show would need less censoring.

7. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Eh, I'd say we have just one more to close things out. Even if we don't have much to discuss with Vortexx, there's still the matter of what will happen with Zexal (and Arc-V), if they will bother continuing Digimon Fusion, and what Saban Brands' future plans are. Besides, we were still making new 4Kids discussion threads even after Toonzai had completely stagnated.

Either way, there's still three months left. We can probably squeeze out a few hundred more posts worth of discussion in that time. I like gmster's suggestion of "End of a Legacy" for the final thread title, it's a fitting enough statement of what we're losing with Vortexx's passing.

8. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Plus, if the Vortexx does become a streaming site, we could discuss that.

Of course, its a rather big "if".

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They also said that Power Rangers would be back in the first quarter of this year and that clearly didn't happen.

I'm sure that they would want to give the series more exposure than what Nicktoons could provide. They might try to finish airing Zexal on Nicktoons, especially when there's probably a better chance that they could air a bunch of episodes quickly to get to where the CW left off compared to Cartoon Network. At the very least, they should consider getting Arc-V on Cartoon Network. That's the newest series promoting the newest cards, so that should be high on their list of priorities.

Although, thinking back to that interview with Konami, they said that they were unsure about the date for the Arc-V dub and were willing to wait until next year to start it. I thought that it was because of how there wasn't any room on the block for it, but perhaps they knew about the block ending and they haven't pitched it to another channel. Arc-V would be a nice fit on Cartoon Network's Saturday morning lineup, so hopefully that will happen at some point.

As for the thread, I do think that another thread would be warranted. I thought at first that it wouldn't when we already know that the block is done for, but then after thinking about it more, the end of traditional Saturday Morning blocks warrants a thread and there's still plenty of room for discussion over the next few months. Not to mention we can discuss our feelings and memories about the block. As far as thread titles go, End of a Legacy is nice and fitting, but I kind of like Saturday Morning Reflections. It's a bit less depressing and I'm sure that we'll reflect on Saturday Mornings in general. Unless another good suggestion comes up, I think that the title will be one of those two.

10. I'd really like to see the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise return to Cartoon Network once again. I mean, the original series did air on CN in the very early 2000's on a nightly basis around 9-10 PM if I remember correctly (because I would watch it nightly as a very young kid.) and then for a little while on the original Toonami block. Then afterwards GX premieres aired on Miguzi and at about 6 AM on weekdays if I recall correctly.

5D's was on Saturday mornings around when Pokemon would air as well- not for very long though.

I just think that Yu-Gi-Oh ZeXal/Arc-V would do fantastic if they showed it right before/after the new episodes of Pokemon on their Saturday morning line-up. I could even see re-runs of older series airing beside Pokemon on weekday mornings at 8 AM too (can't remember if PKMN airs at 8 or 8.5) - But anyway, why couldn't this happen besides NickToons messing things up? Yu-Gi-Oh! does not belong on NickToons, that's that.

11. gmster

gmster Active Member

End of a Legacy has bilateral meaning, as this will be the first time The CW won't have a traditional Saturday morning block. This dates back to the network's predecessor, Kids' WB!, so on some CW stations, this will be the first time the Saturday slots will be without cartoons since 1995.

It also represents that Saban, the former power behind Fox Kids, is essentially throwing in the towel again, signaling the final nail in the coffin.

12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I remember reruns of DM airing at night on Cartoon Network, right along with reruns of the first season of Pokemon, and on the original Toonami as well. GX also premiered on Miguzi, as well as on Toonami for awhile. They kept going back and forth between that series airing on the two blocks and it was often delayed after moving to Toonami. That's probably one reason why the dub was never completed. 5D's was on Saturday mornings and I believe it got a weekday morning slot too, but they only got the rights to the first fifty-two episodes and never showed interest in getting more. Although, 4Kids' poor financial state at the time might have made that difficult as well.

Having Pokemon and a Yu-Gi-Oh! series airing on the same channel again would be nice. It would also make it easier for people to catch up on Zexal and Arc-V by making them available on Cartoon Network's website and uploaded on their On Demand section as well. I don't know if Nicktoons puts up Zexal episodes on their website regularly or if it takes as ridiculously long for them to do that like it does with TMNT episodes. I'd love to see at least Arc-V on Cartoon Network right along with Pokemon.

That's a good point. The CW has had a Saturday morning block for a number of years and I've been watching Saturday morning blocks for a long time. Even after I stopped watching Kids' WB, I don't think it took me too long to find 4KidsTV on Fox, although I forget how I found out about it initially, and I've been following their blocks, as well as the Vortexx, since then. While it does feel like a bit of a depressing title, it would be rather fitting for the situation.

13. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

For clarification...

Yu-Gi-Oh! DM did indeed air in primetime and on weekday mornings on Cartoon Network on and off from 2002-2005, but they never completed Waking the Dragons.

GX premiered its entire first season on Miguzi and the first part of its second season there too, moving to Toonami midway through before going back to Miguzi.

Season 3 aired on Toonami too, but Cartoon Network would constantly pre-empt it for Dragon Ball Z movies, the MegaMan Star Force "movie" (btw, the series never hit TV, despite announcements that it would) as well as constant replays of Pokémon: The First Movie, Spirited Away, and Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo, all of which were extremely overplayed back then. Eventually, the series left Toonami and moved to Saturday mornings in their "Fried Dynamite" block, but was taken off CN eventually (I think for the Fantastic Four series, also a former Toonami series, which I think was to promote the Silver Surfer movie) before moving to 4Kids TV on FOX.

5D's aired on Cartoon Network during that fiasco with the Yusei vs. Kalin duel, premiering the episodes that were skipped on the CW, as well as a few more episodes, including that duel with Rowan that was interrupted before the show was removed from The CW4Kids. It aired from summer 2009 to mid-2010 before being replaced by Beyblade: Metal Fusion on Saturdays and MetaJets on weekdays. It was scheduled to return in the fall, but (brief) improved ratings on The CW4Kids and Toonzai made 4Kids want to hold onto it.

Zexal hasn't aired on Cartoon Network at all due to Viacom/Nick/Nicktoons holding the cable rights to the entire franchise up to Zexal. It is possible for Arc-V to air on Saturday mornings alongside Tenkai Knights, Beyblade/Beyraiderz/Beywarriors, and Pokémon. (It might even take the slot of the Beyblade franchise, since after Beywarriors: Cyborg it looks like it's over.) Seems like a good fit to be sandwiched between Tenkai Knights and Pokémon at 7:30am, which is where 5D's aired in the first place.

So unless Nick/Nicktoons/Viacom has some sort of eternal Yu-Gi-Oh! contract that I'm not sure of, Cartoon Network is a possibility.

14. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I prefer "End of an Era" to be the last thread title, because the CW block is, and will soon be "was," the final over-the-air network broadcasting kids programming without being compelled to do so because of 3 hour FCC E/I requirements.

15. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

That's a great idea! Probably just rename it rather than opening a new one.

16. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

Vortexx still has some weeks left so we should make one last thread.

17. Awesome post. Thank you for specifying all of this for me. I was going entirely off of memory with my post.

18. ChibiGoku

ChibiGoku Something Not Quite Right

So, before we quite end this thread, I want to bring a slight update. As you guys recall, Saban filed for the trademark for "Glitter Force". It's been a bit, so I checked the status on it.

Trademark Status & Document Retrieval

Apparently as of March 11, 2014, they were given a "Notice of Allowance". While I'm not 100% sure what it means, doing a quick google search comes up with the following, as well as this. Judging off this information, and based off the notice on the page, seems they have about over 3 months to issue another filing (Statement of Use), or the trademark will be abandoned. Though they can request an extension. So it's not quite active yet, but I have to wonder if the filing really takes that long to do so... Not familiar with this process, so someone who may be familiar with this, feel free to explain.

Though, I don't think this would completely affect their ability to show this off at Licensing Expo, but... Who knows.

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think that it would make more sense to start a new thread rather than renaming this one.

20. PokemonTVDub

PokemonTVDub Member

Goodbye Vortexx. (This is the 1000th post)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.