1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Saban Talkback: Saturday Standstill - Saban Talkback V6

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Light Lucario, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

Ok I MIGHT get called a fool for this but is this really it for Vortexx and or any Saban owned Block/Channel?

2. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Yeah, this is pretty much it. Unlike 4Kids, however, Saban will still exist as a business, with TV properties like Power Rangers (still getting max exposure on Nickelodeon), Digimon, Julius Jr., and some show I vowed to keep my mouth shut about until we learned what it was. What I'm wondering is what will happen to these threads when the block ends?

3. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

This is pretty much the end of the road for Saturday morning television in general. The networks have simply given up on trying to compete with cable.

I'll miss Sonic X, and I'll miss theorizing in this thread about Vortexx. I'll miss JLU, Dragon Ball Z Kai, and I'll miss the little bit of hope we had that Saturday mornings could be saved on broadcast TV.

This is a final goodbye to Saturday mornings on The CW/UPN. You were our last hope, and you fought till the end. I guess Saturday mornings on broadcast TV are doomed to become a bunch of informercials, preschooler shows, and Litton's "educational" programming I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Until we meet again, stay gold.

Bang.

4. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

It COULD survive as a Online only thing but yeah too bad for the block..

5. Poweranimals

Poweranimals Invincible

Well this was certainly one big epic fail.

6. Sunnydee

Sunnydee Member

This is really too bad. I hope someone else (or even Saban Brands) tries their hand at a traditional saturday morning block, but I doubt it.

I'm pretty sad about this. This block aired some great shows, but it could never really put together 8-10 solid shows together at once. Zexal, Sonic X, Bolts and Blip were weak in my opinion. Yu-gi-oh was extremely old, even though I loved it. Spectacular Spider-man, JLU, DBZ Kai, Transformers Prime, Iron man: Armored Adventures and Digimon Fusion never aired premieres together. Those 6 plus Zexal and Yu-gi-oh would've been an amazing lineup actually. Year 2 was a mess though. There were only really a couple of shows showing premieres at a time. So while they acquired great shows for the block, they never really put it all together from my perspective.

And the E/I block was weak in year 2. Rescue Heroes was fine for the first year, but they should have brought in something else after that.

They really came out with everything they had in the first few months. Tiny Toons was an awesome surprise.

I'm just sad and disappointed about this. It looked like they had so much potential at the beginning.

Did Saban choose not to renew their contract with the CW or were they outbid by Litton? Or did the CW simply want Litton after seeing their success on other networks?

7. Looney Tunes Fan

Looney Tunes Fan Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

Well I'm pissed. I guess I kinda knew it was coming, but this and Boomerang's schedule shakeup are making this week one of the worst weeks ever for us cartoon fans. Although I'm glad DBZ Kai has found a good home over at Toonami, and hopefully Zexal and Arc-V will find their ways onto Nicktoons or another network. I can be glad I recorded as much as I did on the block for my own collection, although I'll still miss watching on Saturday mornings.

Vortexx had so much potential, I remember being so excited back in August 2012 for it...

Saban messed up.

Mod Note: Please don't use swear words. It's against the rules to use inappropriate language.

8. gmster

gmster Active Member

I think I'll remember Vortexx the most for their terribly edited version of JLU. Heh.

If the block could be summed up in a few words, it would be "wasted potential."

9. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Meh. Vortexx was dull-as-dirt when it premiered, and it ends just as it began: with a pathetic whimper. As weird as it is to say it, Saturday morning action blocks should have died with 4Kids. Even at the end of CW4Kids when most of the block was on autopilot, it still felt like more care was put into it than the entirety of Vortexx.

A shame Saturday morning action blocks have to go out on such a sour note.

10. Poweranimals

Poweranimals Invincible

Yeah, what really is saddening about the whole thing is doesn't even feel like there was ever really any effort put into it from the start. There's really no way things could've gone any different.

11. Sunnydee

Sunnydee Member

They did bring some new shows to the block, was there much more they could have done?

12. Sonic_Eclipse

Sonic_Eclipse Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!

I wouldn't say they didn't try in the beginning. The Vortexx launch was easily the best effort they made through out the blocks entire run. DBZ Kai with the Cell games, Saturday Morning Slam, Night Ghoulery, the Sonic X poll, and Cena Saturday. I also saw ads all over the web during the blocks first few months of life, and I can't imagine a series as recent as Transformers Prime was a cheap license even if was only season one.

Unfortunately ratings weren't meeting expectations so Saban put no effort into the blocks second year, and it really showed. From the late premiere of Digimon Fusion, Power Rangers not returning, endless Sonic X, JLU, and Rescue Heroes reruns, all the way down to running the same promos week after week. Aside from acquiring Spider-Man, Vortexx's second season was garbage. In the end paying The CW their fees for pulling out of their contract early probably made sense financially than it would've been to ride it out.

#972 Sonic_Eclipse, May 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2014
  13. gmster

gmster Active Member

As powergate92 pointed out, Saban didn't pull out, the contract came to its end. Whether Saban decided not to pursue a renewal, or The CW decided to go with Litton is unknown. It was probably a mutual agreement on both sides.

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I agree. They could have done quite a bit more with their collection of shows in their library or tried to get more shows instead of re-airing the same shows over and over again. I don't know how much could be done if they had done that, but it would have shown more effort on their part at least to use some of the block's potential.

I do think that they at least tried to put in a bit more effort when the block first started. They had some individual promos and more attempts at getting different shows, even if they didn't last too long, so there was some attempt made on their part. Their second year, on the other hand, was much weaker by comparison. Aside from getting Spectacular Spider-Man and later on Digimon Fusion, their second year was a bust. It's kind of a shame that traditional Saturday Morning blocks end this way. I'm not sure if it's better or worse than if they had ended with 4Kids, especially when I don't recall Toonzai on autopilot being significantly better than the Vortexx currently is, but it's still too bad.

Although. Saturday Morning blocks are incredibly outdated, so in a way, it's amazing that they've lasted as long as they have, especially on the CW. I think that the channel has had a lot of blocks over the years.

We are getting close to the one thousand post mark for this thread. Does anyone have suggestions for the next and final thread title for the block? Or would people prefer to keep the discussion to this thread instead?

15. gmster

gmster Active Member

If there's a new thread, I would suggest the title to be "End of a Legacy", since this will mark the end of traditional Saturday morning blocks, dating back to the 1960s.

16. ThisGuyTony

ThisGuyTony Member

It's bittersweet. For me at least.

I don't have cable so this literally marks the end of Saturday morning cartoons for me.

I was excited for Vortexx initially and watched every week but I eventually lost interest...

I started watching again when Digimon Fusion premiered but I didn't bother to wake up early again because the shows weren't interesting to me.

The "new block" doesn't really interest me...

17. Burgundy Ranger

Burgundy Ranger Disney XD/Vortexx schedule guy

Gotta wonder if Saban Brands lost its true incentive to make something of the block. Gotta think there was a bigger plan for their 'flagship' properties -- especially PR.

18. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Well, I think that it's the end of an era...

19. FidgitStyles

How about Saban Talkback: Just 18 and Gets Kicked Out of the House? This refers to the fact that the block started 18 years ago as Kid's WB. Man that makes me feel old.

or

Saturday Morning Reflections

20. gmster

gmster Active Member

There must have been, because their initial promise was that new episodes would eventually premiere on the block.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.