1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Saban Talkback: End Of A Legacy - Saban Talkback V7

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Light Lucario, Jun 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to the seventh talkback thread for Saban's Saturday Morning block the Vortexx. The current schedule can be found here: MyVortexx | Vortexx on the CW

There have been some recent huge developments for the block. After months of the block being on autopilot with no word on their fall lineup, we learned that DBZ Kai would be on Toonami this fall. This initially led to the assumption that it could be removed from the lineup due to rights expiring or wanting to get a different show altogether.

However, shortly after that announcement, we also learned that Saban was pulling the plug on the Vortexx and the CW will start an E/I block called One Magnificent Morning this fall. This means not only the end of traditional Saturday Morning blocks on the CW, but the end of broadcast Saturday Morning blocks in general. It truly is the end of a legacy.

Even so, there's still more to discuss. What are the fates for the shows currently on the lineup? Aside from DBZ Kai, their futures are unclear. What will happen to Digimon Fusion and Zexal premieres? When and where will Arc-V's dub premiere? What will happen to the other shows that Saban got from 4Kids? Find out as we discuss the block and reflect on Saturday Mornings in general as well.

2. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

As the weeks progress, we'll get to know about the fate of the other Vortexx shows, some of them may go to either Nicktoons or Toonami (so far, only DBZ Kai has been confirmed).

3. Kung-Fu Yoshi

Kung-Fu Yoshi Active Member

Ouch.

Even though I never watched Vortexx, I'll be missing it. At least there's always cable.

Seriously, does every new SaTAM block have to revolve around animal shows? ABC and CBS already do it. Why not have NBC do it too? No one watches anyway,

4. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

I think Saban will just wait it out until DBZ Kai expires, same with Sonic X. Cubix, on the other hand, they own eternally, so it's basically a Saban Brands property.

That's not the point. The fact is, it provides the station with free E/I programming to fulfill the Children's Television Act, and if that is happening, they don't care who's watching. If that act were to ever cease, the affiliates would drop all this programming altogether.

5. gmster

gmster Active Member

This is a little depressing to look back on: 'Power Rangers' Backer Saban to Reenter Kiddie TV | Media - Advertising Age

That didn't really work out, did it Mr. Dekel?

6. Sunnydee

Sunnydee Member

Yeah, I think I'm starting to blame the CW for all of this. During the block, I was understanding with the censorship that was going on, but to have it take Power Rangers off the air was a bit much and a huge mistake. They made it very difficult to run the block it appears.

That being said, they still needed newer programming (although the programming they had should have been new to their core demographic, right?) and they needed to advertise the block outside of the block more. I doubt a lot of people knew about it.

Maybe Saban is better off trying to launch a digital sub-channel or something. Although I don't think that's likely, I'm guessing the whole reason they made Vortexx was so they could have a platform of their own without relying on the crazy scheduling of others or being relegated to channels like Nicktoons (channels not everyone receives). I don't think that goal should change for them. After Vortexx, they're at the mercy of others.

Also, the cause of them extending their contract with Nickelodeon in October could've been because they saw the end of Vortexx coming and had no choice. Instead of maybe waiting until the contract ended and bringing it over to Vortexx. Or maybe they would've extended that contract anyways, obviously I'm doing a lot of guessing here.

7. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

Hindsight is 20:20, but I always felt 4Kids was better off with the FOX block than on The CW. Since 4Kids bought out their contract, that time has been used for infomercials : /

8. PokemonTVDub

PokemonTVDub Member

I knew Vortexx was going through bad times, but I didn't expect the block to jut dissolve. I guess Saban can't present a SatAM block as well as they did before. It's a real shame but nothing can be done about it now. I wish the best of luck to One Magnificent Morning none the less. From what I can see, its line-up is definitely not what we were used to from Toonzai and Vortexx, but their programming seems family-friendly enough.

But one question hasn't been brought up.What does this mean for the English adaption of Cross Fight B-Daman eS. ANN confirmed with d-rights that the second season of B-Daman Crossfire had a target date of Fall 2014 on Vortexx, which is when the block is being dissolved. So if they do intend to air this, where will it be now? I'm thinking Nicktoons along with Digimon Fusion and Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal.

9. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Morphin K has a Saban Brands Licensing Expo ad on Tumblr. There are four IPs listed: Power Rangers Dino Charge, Julius Jr., Popples, and Digimon Fusion. So for right now, it appears Saban plans to continue Digimon Fusion on Nicktoons.

10. PC!

PC! lolwut?

The licensing expo is exclusively for American companies, right?

Meaning Saban Brands likely thinks Digimon Fusion is doing well enough financially to continue dubbing the series in America?

11. RunoMisaki573

RunoMisaki573 Member

I feel sad that Vortexx (as a block on The CW) might disappear this autumn. The good thing that might happen is that Sonic X reruns will be gone forever. I just cannot stand the abuse of reruns on that show, seriously.

I wonder if Saban's programming will ever hit ABC Family, even when Jetix is gone. In case Vortexx is gone and/or the Nick networks no longer have Saban's programs, I think it would be a smart move to air two hours of them every weekday morning. Unfortunately, Saban Brands needs a contract with ABC Family in order for this to happen. At the moment, ABC Family has no children's programming; therefore, it has no good content balanced for the family to watch.

12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I can't really see any of their other shows going to Toonami. DBZ Kai was the only one that made sense given how heavily requested DBZ has been for the block and it was one of their most popular shows back on the original Toonami. I'm sure that we'll learn more about what happens to the other shows, but I just wanted to start off the thread with those questions.

There was never any confirmation that Cross Fight B-Daman eS was going to air on the Vortexx. The article on ANN said it had a target date of Fall 2014, but it never mentioned that it would air on the Vortexx. I'm not even sure if that's going to be dubbed after B-Daman toys weren't at the Toy Fair a few months ago. If they do still plan to air eS, it might go to Nicktoons or the Hub, but I don't think it was ever going to air on the Vortexx.

The Vortexx will disappear as a block on the CW this fall. They might try to make it a digital only channel or something, although that seems unlikely, but the block itself won't be around on the CW anymore. I doubt that ABC Family would be interested in Saban's programming or any animated series for that matter. The channel hasn't been interested in doing anything like that since Jetix moved to Toon Disney years ago. Ever since then, the channel has been mostly reruns of sitcoms, various live action and animated movies and their own original series. It would be awesome if that did change since I used to love watching the animated shows on ABC Family back in the day, but that seems pretty unlikely to happen.

I'm still not too surprised that this happened, although I thought that the block would last another year at least or stay until the deal with airing premiere episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh! expired. They clearly had plans for the block with returning Power Rangers and eventually premiering episodes, but that clearly didn't work out. I guess that the edits and standards for the CW were more strict for Power Rangers than they had initially imagined. I can understand why that might have been difficult to put a Disney era season on the lineup, but I still wish that they had put a Digimon series on the lineup before Fusion. It would have been a nice use of their library and could h helped to make more kids interested in Fusion if they saw another Digimon series first, especially when it had been years since Digimon aired on a widely available channel.

Although, this is probably a good thing for Arc-V's dub. The series won't be stuck on the CW for a couple of years until the deal expires, unable to show premieres on another channel that more kids watch. With that deal not an issue, they should be able to start up the series on a channel like Nicktoons or hopefully Cartoon Network instead. I'm not sure how they'll handle Zexal's remaining episodes, but at least we know that it will have a full dub. I wonder if they'll upload the rest of the series on the official Yu-Gi-Oh! website. That would be kind of cool.

13. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

That expo is aimed at a global audience. For what it's worth, d-rights will present B-Daman Fireblast (eS's dub) there too.

14. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

It's just Sprout shows, but it seems that Litton shows have questionable ratings.
    Not sure if they're measured or not.

15. PokemonTVDub

PokemonTVDub Member

Once again, I disagree. This was announced when B-Daman Crossfire's first season was confirmed to be airing on Vortexx. So it would only make sense that they had also planned to air the second seasonon Vortexx as well. Why would they announce the first season airing on Vortexx and announce the second season and have another network in mind? This fact alone supports my belief, but in the end, this argument will never end so let's just stop. Because unless you can prove me d-rights had planned to air eS on another network, I'm not buying what you have to say, sorry. Not that it matters now that Vortexx will be gone.

16. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

I was actually chatting with another TZ member yesterday about this, and we came to the conclusion that, should all else fail, Konami could very well go the same route Bushiroad has done with Cardfight!! Vanguard and Future Card Buddyfight, where their dubs have been released exclusively on sites like Youtube or Crunchyroll.

It might be a bit of an odd way to go about it, but it seems to be working fine for Bushiroad, and with the added marketing push Konami could give to the business model, along with the name recognition of Yu-Gi-Oh, online exclusivity could be a viable option.

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

If that had planned to air the second season on the Vortexx, they probably would have kept the first season on the lineup instead of skipping episodes to reach the conclusion sooner and not giving the show a repeat slot. Or at the very least, it would have been mentioned in the article when they announced a planned release date for fall 2014. This is the article which mentioned the release date and it does not say where it would air: D-Rights to Release Cross Fight B-Daman Anime Worldwide in 2013 - News - Anime News Network

Considering that this was article is from nearly two years ago and there hadn't been any other article actually stating that the show would be on the Vortexx, I don't think that it was ever planned to air on the block. As for why they would consider airing it elsewhere even with the first season airing on the Vortexx, perhaps Saban wasn't interested in picking up the second season or they were still looking into giving the series a TV deal with various channels without being sure where it would air and were just planning on a fall 2014 release date. I can't really prove any of this, but the article doesn't really prove that eS was definitely going to air on the Vortexx either. All it says is that they planned to air the series in fall 2014. Nothing about where it aired and the Vortexx isn't even mentioned in that article at all.

It's a pretty moot point right now given that the block is going to end, but I don't think that they ever had any interest in airing eS on the lineup at all. The way they treated Crossfire made the idea of airing the next season pretty unlikely to say the least, especially when there was no word from Saban officially regarding eS. I kind of question even if the series will be dubbed. Outside of that article, I don't think that there has been any word on eS's dub and the lack of toys at the Toy Fair a few months ago is a pretty bad sign too. So, for all we know, the toys not selling as well as they wanted them could have made them uninterested in dubbing eS as well.

That's a good point. I'm not sure if Konami would be happy with that given that there's more name recognition for Yu-Gi-Oh! compared to Vanguard and Future Card Buddyfight, and they'd want to get more exposure, but that does sound like it would be a good option for them, especially to get more attention for their website.

18. OtakuGirl85

OtakuGirl85 New Member

Is Saban still proceeding to launch Vortexx on Nicktoons?

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I haven't heard of any plans for Saban to launch Vortexx on Nicktoons. I think that Digimon Fusion and Zexal are the only shows that are on the Vortexx that are also on Nicktoons.

20. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

There's never been any such plans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.