Saban Talkback: Building Blocks - The Saban Discussion V3

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Light Lucario, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

Welcome to the third talkback for Saban's new Saturday morning block called the Vortexx. The lineup for the block is currently listed on their website here: MyVortexx | Vortexx on the CW

There have been a few important changes to the lineup since the last talkback. Instead of having three slots for Yu-Gi-Oh!, they only need two right now. Iron Man has been removed from the lineup and has been replaced with Transformers Prime. Power Rangers Lost Galaxy has also been replaced by a second airing of Sonic X. What Power Rangers series could put in the lineup and will Sonic X ever be gone from the block completely? While the block has been doing generally well, as the title hints, it is still in its early stages of development as the people in charge decide what works and what doesn't for the block.

2. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

Sonic X has really been overplayed at this point, so I wouldn't mind seeing it get kicked out. As for Rescue Heroes, since we've finished the series, I think a new E/I show is in order for later on. In that the department, the one that gets the most notice on Vortexx's Facebook page is The Magic School Bus. Also, Digimon could potentially replace Sonic X.

On another note, the schedule for February 2 on Vortexx's site is empty. Either they're waiting for a reveal or it just hasn't been updated yet.

3. Sparkster24

Sparkster24 Active Member

Well, i haven't seen much of Vortexx, hence things we're in the way. But i can hope of getting back on it though.. :)

I think it would be pretty nice (for the sake of keeping in the tradition of when Fox Kids was) if they aired "R.L. Stine's The Haunting Hour: The Series" on the line-up. Hence i kinda remember back when Goosebumps once aired on Fox Kids, but for the sake of adding something spooky-centric.. it would be pretty nice to add in (especially for the line-up itself).

4. Poweranimals

Poweranimals Invincible

Aww. You didn't go with my suggestion? I thought it was a better reflection of the way things currently stand.

5. Sonic_Eclipse

Sonic_Eclipse Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!

I wanna support Vortexx, I do, but lately I've been having hard time getting into it.

I'm tired of Duel Monsters, and as much as I've tried I just can't get into Zexal at all.

While I'm happy Sonic still has a presence on TV , I'm afraid after being reruns for about 6yrs now I'm more than burnt out on Sonic X, and I own the series on DVD so I really wouldn't care if they took it off. Saban, if you insist on keeping Sonic on the block, at least try getting a new series together.

I've already seen, Transformers Prime on its respective home network, so yeah. I do think its great that Prime is on the block though, at least its kinda new. Prime is great series, and I hope people who don't have The Hub are watching it on Vortexx.

I'm affraid even in its Kai form, DBZ still works better when you watch a bunch of episodes at one time. Watching an episode once a week really does make the show move at a snails pace and its kinda boring. It also doesn't help that I've already watched it on Nicktoons.

Power Rangers has never appealed to me, and ancient reruns isn't exactly helping its case either.

Other than Zexal, Vortexx's only new programing is WWE Saturday Morning slam, which just isn't my cup of tea.

Now I know Vortexx is still technically in launch mode, so I still have hope. We know Digimon is most likely coming in the near future, and I'm looking forward to that, new or old.

The line-up just has to get better than just Prime, and Justice League reruns.

6. gmster

gmster Active Member

My initial enthusiasm for the block has died down. It's going to take some pretty ambitious programming decisions to win back my interest.

7. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

I'd love to see The Magic School Bus on Vortexx, since it's not even on qubo right now. However, based on what I've seen recently, if/when they do update the E/I block, the new addition will most likely be Transformers: Rescue Bots.

I have no idea why we haven't seen any Digimon since they acquired it, and not even just on Vortexx, but on The Hub either. I mean, they bought the rights to TMNT: The Next Mutation from Saban... what exactly did they see in this short-lived, much-reviled series? Wouldn't Digimon have been a much better choice? And if not, then what about Beetleborgs? I guess all of Power Rangers is off limits to Hasbro/Hub since Viacom/Nick/NickToons basically holds the cable rights to all 700+ episodes of it.

And Vortexx being slow on updates is nothing new, even on their own site.

If what I think about Hasbro/Hub and Saban is true, I think this could be a possibility... maybe around Halloween along with Night Ghoulery. I'm not the biggest RL Stine fan anymore, and I've never seen The Haunting Hour series or movie, nor do I intend to (unless my ex drags me into it; she may very easily do so with the movie because it has Emily Osment in it), but it'd be nice to see and definitely add some variety to the block. However, I'm not sure if Hasbro/Hub would have a say in whether or not Saban could obtain broadcast rights to it, or who they'd have to go to. I forgot whether or not it counts as a Hub Original Series or not.

No offense, but "The Sonic X Network" is a bit too insulting, demeaning, and maybe sarcastic. I know you and several others are tired of Sonic X by now, but the fact is, it puts butts in seats. I think we should wait until (I highly doubt this will happen) they put three airings as 4Kids did twice before we start throwing around names like this. And as I've said before, 4Kids jammed it down our throats because they literally had nothing better - they were poor. Saban is much better off financially, so I doubt it'll stay like this much longer. And even if they don't replace it with something new (or just CW-new), I bet when they get a chunk of JLU or DBZ Kai edited, they might double up on one of those instead. I say we wait at least until Lost Galaxy is completely uploaded to Hulu before doing something like that. Plus, upon further research, there's quite a bit going on in the Sonic world they could be promoting or cashing in on. Aside from the Wreck-It Ralph cameo, there was also Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed for PS3/360/Wii U that was released back in November, and the DS version out in a couple of weeks.

That said, if Saban is able to fund/produce a Sonic X season 4, or a new series altogether, I'm willing to try it out.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I'm sorry, but I thought that more people were into gmster's suggestion and calling it the Sonic X Network sounds a bit too insulting. It is disappointing that they have an hour of Sonic X when the series is so overplayed at this point, but it isn't anywhere as bad as having three episodes airing each week like 4Kids did. It doesn't really reflect the whole block's state right now like this title since it is still in its early development and for all we know, having two airings of Sonic X is only going to last a couple of weeks, which would make that title outdated relatively quickly.

It would be nice to see Sonic X off the lineup or at least see them funding a new series, but I don't think that's going to happen in the hear future. I'd love it if they could eventually replace one of the airings with a Digimon series. Although, it's probably more likely that they'll put on a different Power Rangers series instead. I could see them airing one of the series that aired on Toon Disney a few years ago.

9. DonkeyKongSong

If one of my theories is correct and this is to promote/cash in on that new Sonic All-Stars Racing game, its final release (for the 3DS) is February 12, which means it's possible it could be back to one airing by March.

If the show continues to be a success for the block, I don't see why they wouldn't attempt to produce or fund a new series, or maybe a season 4. As said before, rumor (and I think one press release) has it that 4Kids was looking into it, a la Ultimate Muscle and Yu-Gi-Oh!, but was too poor at the time.

But yeah, I give it until Lost Galaxy finishes on Hulu, and if it's still there by then, I'll start complaining. In the last thread, shortly before it was closed, gmster said RPM or Samurai would be likely - with Samurai to be off Nick soon, that is a possibility as it would be Nicktoons exclusive otherwise. I personally hope it's RPM, as I've actually heard good things about it (not the biggest PR fan out there, but I like SPD) and it's had the least amount of airtime, much of which was unavailable due to airing exclusively on ABC Kids, whose affiliates constantly pre-empted it or aired it at inconvenient timeslots (mine pre-empted it completely, but some affiliated aired it at like 4 AM! :eek:), leaving Netflix as the only legitimate outlet to see it in some areas. Samurai would also likely be new to some kids, as I'm sure if audiences have Nick they likely aren't watching Vortexx, but Nick is a basic cable network, not a satelite/digital-only one, and is thus more widely available, so it would probably be better to air one that has only had Toon Disney/ABC exposure lately or none at all.

Anyway, another thing I recently thought of... I'm not 100% sure of this, as I'm not the biggest PR fan in the world, but if memory serves, Lost Galaxy is the last time the show actually continues from where the last season left off, which makes it even more of an odd choice to start at, since it's an introduction to the series for many kids. This makes it even more confusing as to why they didn't start from the beginning of Mighty Morphin, since it would explain everything and promote the DVDs at the same time. Since the rest of the seasons (save for a few apparent crossovers) are mostly grounded within themselves, something later than LG would be good too.

10. ChibiGoku

ChibiGoku Something Not Quite Right

So, I've decided to maintain a "Yu-Gi-Oh! Franchise" thread over at Fandom Post, which you can see here. Hoping the information there I have provided is accurate and will update as more information becomes available.

May also repost this on the Anime section.

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

That wouldn't be too bad to have double episodes until March.

I wouldn't mind if they do fund a new series/season of Sonic X and it is more a possibility now than when 4Kids was in control, but I don't see that happening in the near future, like within the next few months. I could see them airing Samurai. It is the most recent season and even though Nick is more widely available, it could still be new to a lot of the kids who watch the Vortexx.

From what I remember from Linkara's History of Power Rangers videos, Lost Galaxy is the last season that does follow up from the previous season and the other seasons are stand-alones, except for Samuari since I think it has two seasons and most seasons have a crossover special or two. While I'm not a big Power Rangers fan myself, their choice to start off with Lost Galaxy still seems kind of weird to me too. It probably does have details that kids wouldn't get without seeing the last couple of previous seasons and it's just such a random season to start off the block with. Going with the beginning of Mighty Morphin would have been a good choice, although maybe the pacing would have been too slow for airing one episode a week. Still, it would have been a good introduction of Power Rangers. Starting off with one of the stand-alone seasons that aired on Toon Disney would have been better too.

12. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

Dont worry guys. Im sure things will improve soon.

13. DonkeyKongSong

Oh, well of course not. I was just saying this could be a sign of things to come. Obviously I don't expect it to happen at least until this fall or maybe spring 2014, but I'm just saying the possibility is still there.

Technically it's part of the same season according to Saban's production numbers, Nick just calls them "Samurai" and "Super Samurai" because Nick seems to have this obsession with (roughly) 20-episode seasons. SpongeBob has it, iCarly has it, Victorious has it... if the show is on Nick, it's almost guaranteed to be roughly 20 episodes per season, little to no exceptions (and in many cases, it seems to be 20 on some points of view even if not literally, inconsistently applied). It just seems like Nick and 40-episode seasons (well, 40 half hours anyway) don't mix well. I would not be shocked if the same thing happened to Megaforce.

I know, I have faith that they will. Between Saban's better financial situation that could eventually lead to a new season or series for Sonic, the possibility of a new deal, and Saban's programming library, I'm not giving up hope for the block. I just like to speculate and analyze any possibility, even the most slim of possibilities.

On another note, while it appears The Hub still hasn't made a Next Mutation site, they did give us this:

Huboom: Ninja Turtles - The Next Mutation (promo) | Boys Action Block | Saturday Morning Cartoons | The Hub TV Network

This promo is just as cheesy as the show is. :D:sweat: In fact, there's a small Next Mutation clip here:

http://www.hubworld.com/watch/2093788295001/huboom-saturdays-are-better-with-huboom-promo

Maybe The Hub chose this out of all of Saban's shows because it would match a tone they're going for, though I'm surprised they're not pairing it up with The Aquabats! Super Show!, since it seems like the best thing to pair TMNT:TNM up with. This might explain why they chose TMNT:TNM out of all of Saban's available library, though I hope it does lead to the possibility of The Hub picking up something more popular like a Digimon season or maybe Beetleborgs.

14. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

Figures the first one of Saban's non-PR shows to get a TV deal outside of Vortexx would be the second-worst of the bunch.

Anyway, I guess it isn't two bad if the double Sonic X thing is just to promote the new Sonic game. Maybe afterwards we can get some shows of actual value.:p

15. DonkeyKongSong

Which one's worse, VR Troopers? :p It was actually slightly more successful than Next Mutation.

16. The Master C

The Master C Member

Has Sonic X ever aired on cable before? I don't think so. (I could be wrong)

If I were Saban, I would try to get it on cable. It gets good ratings on broadcast TV (as you guys already know). Imagine the ratings it'll get on cable since the majority of cable viewers haven't seen it yet.

17. DonkeyKongSong

I doubt any of the current basic cable networks would be willing to air a series that concluded 6 and a half years ago in this day and age; they rarely even air current or new acquisitions. If Sonic X were to air on cable, it would likely be on The Hub, Nicktoons, or Disney XD, and only on the latter would it even have a chance of matching its broadcast ratings. That said, I'm sure it would see a whole new audience on any of those networks, as I doubt that the kids who have them are watching the CW blocks.

18. Sonic_Eclipse

No it hasn't.

I'm still surprised 4Kids never tried getting it on cable. Given how well the series performs, it seems almost like a no brainer. Honestly if Sonic X, did as well it did on broadcast, think of how much more successful it could've been if it made its way to cable. Definitely a missed opportunity.

I suppose Saban could try getting it on The Hub or Nicktoons if they really wanted to. But at this point it really doesn't matter anymore.

19. DonkeyKongSong

I'm surprised 4Kids didn't try to get it on Cartoon Network back in the day. It would have made a good fit for their old Miguzi block, which did air Winx Club and TMNT.

20. Sonic_Eclipse

Well back then I had always hoped it would end up on CN eventually. Be it on Miguzi with TMNT and Winx Club or Toonami with One Piece, but it never happened.

Oddly enough 4Kids did run a few episodes or so of Shaman King on CN for some kind of promo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.