1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Saban buys back Power Rangers; show will head to Nick

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Jaguar, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garfield15

garfield15 Member of the 10,000 post club

First of all, whenever you say something negative about Disney, you must always say "except RPM." :p

Second, we'll be judging this new series as full adults grown with 17 seasons of the franchise, not young tykes getting, or maybe re-getting into Power Rangers. I think a little leeway should be put in order in this.

2. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Once A Ranger says hiya. :p

I fully expect to only like the new season for any guest Rangers, though. :sweat:

3. Bloody Marquis

Bloody Marquis Quite smashing, eh?

Though wouldn't new blood be the best thing for the season? I don't want to disrespect Tony Oliver or any of the other past staff, but one gets a little rusty when getting back into their job for the first time in years.

4. Beat

Beat Retired

Direct adaptation of the sentai.

You are going to literally copy a story about a secret force employed by the Emperor of Japan to keep the peace, led by a samurai and his four retainers.

And somehow, they're in California. My brain hurts thinking about it.

5. garfield15

Remember Beat. View first, Judge after.

I mean, by that logic, Timeranger shouldn't have translated into Time Force that well, like, at all.

6. PC!

PC! lolwut?

I forgot to mention Ninja Storm and Dino Thunder, as well. I should have said "the magic feel before Bruce Kalish took over the franchise." Really, his seasons are the only bad ones, I think. Everything else Disney did was pretty darn good.

As for judging the series, I first started watching the series when I almost a full-grown adult anyway, so that's not the case with me. :p

The question arises, though, would we prefer to have someone familiar, yet rusty to the franchise, or someone entirely new?

7. Bloody Marquis

Bloody Marquis Quite smashing, eh?

Hey, TNG got good once they decided to get Roddenberry off of it.

8. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Member

I know you're being cute, but...just no. Really. RPM wasn't as great as everyone said. Three good episodes. Tops. The series's very PREMISE didn't make any sense or hold together, let alone individual episodes.

And that would've been fine had it not been so ungodly ambitious from the get go. But it's something that demands you take it seriously and then never takes the time to explain to you why you should. Any show that establishes three opening episodes of a dark, post apocalyptic fantasy only to betray all of that by having the eponymous organization search for a Green Ranger via talent show is not the great show everyone wanted it to be.

I would think Power Rangers in general requires leeway. Most of the seasons people will claim up and down are objectively good...aren't. Like at all. Power Rangers never excels at objective quality as much as it excels as tricking people into thinking that's what it has.

Personally, I'm going to judge the new season like I would ANY season. As long as it's fun, goofy superheroics that can kill a half hour, I'll be fairly content. If it tries to be more and doesn't quite do so well at it (like seasons like In Space, Time Force, or RPM tried)...I'll probably not look at it quite fondly. If it managed to aim for and achieve the gravitas so many seasons failed at, I'd be quite impressed. But I'm not expecting it. Not really asking for it, either.

I think new blood would be fine for a franchise like this. And I think Shinkenger being FINISHED before production even started would've given that perfect justification.

...But, then again, maybe not so much for a revival. I would imagine Saban wants to get on the right foot with its newest production, so getting a few people familiar with the franchise might be a better move. If the new season works out fine, I wouldn't be opposed to some new people taking control. The big "Non-PR people" to work at the show were Bruce Kalish and Eddie Guzelian. And...I generally liked Kalish. Generally. I have my gripes, but he gave me the silly superheroics I usually enjoyed. Guzelian was ambitious, but even before his episodes ended his storyline fell apart pretty quickly.

But I'm okay with that, because I'm still happy they took a risk with someone new even if I didn't like the results.

To be fair it, it didn't at all. I've always kind of hoped most people would be objective enough to realize Time Force was Timeranger with a horribly written Aesop smashed in the head with cement brick.

Eh, well. So much for that.

I'm still not even sure why Kalish is BAD. I mean, I can understand the dislike for Operation Overdrive. Intense ambition without any fulfillment and a horribly broken moral (not unlike, say, Time Force or, to a lesser degree, In Space). But I don't get the big hate on for Kalish as a whole. People complain about him because he feels his job is to just translate Sentai, but...Time Force did that and everyone loves Time Force.

Is there even a reason Kalish is bad? I mean, Jungle Fury was basically MMPR with hippie Zordon Ranger. Mystic Force had a likable cast and a relatively fun fantasy backdrop. SPD was kind of wonky, but it usually turned out pretty fun anyway.

I mean, if you dislike Kalish...what about early seasons like MMPR or Zeo? They're not exactly much better.

I'd either want someone new...or Jackie Marchand.

I think this is a tricky franchise to write, really. I think financially, you're usually gonna succeed if only because of the toys. But creatively? Really, PR fandom is something that applauds gravitas that doesn't really exist and ambition is seen as success, regardless of whether or not it failed. Which kind of puts seasons into a weird place. What direction do you go in? Do you try to do the fun stuff the franchise was founded on, or try to go epic and fail without worrying about the ramifications that would exist if you wrote any other show?

9. Ookamikun

Ookamikun Hooooowl!

I still can't understand the RPM hate. Most of the reasoning are so vague.

10. firefoxprime

firefoxprime 90s = Golden Years

Hmph....really dont want to go off topic:shrug:....so i'll make it quick. I watched very little of RPM( first couple of eps) and it was okay. But for the tv season(08-09), Kamen Rider: DK pulled me away from RPM. It felt so mature. Also the villians weren't goofy. They came to beat you, and let you know it.:p Closest PR season I can relate to DK mature battles is Jungle Fury and LG. But...RPM's still apart of the ranger family, and I respect it way more than my least favorite(LsR)

11. PC!

PC! lolwut?

I didn't really hate the Kalish seasons as much as I found them "meh." None of those seasons had the same "oomph" that many of the previous seasons did. I just didn't have the desire to tune in week after week to find out what happens next, and by the time Jungle Fury rolled around, I just quit caring completely. All in all, I found the Kalish era average at best.

Honestly, I've never bothered watching MMPR through Space, so I can't really judge them.

12. Dogbert

Dogbert I Don't See Gravity

If I had one of those animated laughing emoticons handy, this is where I'd use it. KRDK tried to be mature, desperately so, but ultimately failed in most people's opinion. Everyone acted dark and brooding, but that's just a shallow version of being "mature." If you favor DK to RPM, well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, and I respect that. But, please do recognize that most tokusatsu fans would disagree with you on that one. RPM is almost universally loved (among PR fans, of course) and often makes people's top five.

13. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Member

You mean besides the horribly inconsistent tone and writing, Venjix as one of the most laughable villains in a franchise of already laughable villains, and the character arcs that're constantly touched at without actually progressing anything?

How many times did we have to deal with Daddy never loving Scott even though Scott was somehow the head of Corinth's only useful military force?

Why did Fresno Bob's gangsters get defeated by being depantsed when an entire episode established them as actual criminals?

Why did Ranger Yellow exist at all?

Why did Flynn not have an arc? Here's a question: Colonel Truman wasn't opposed to letting people die if they couldn't get to Corinth fast enough. Why would a painfully stupid idealist like Flynn work for a man like that? Did he even know Truman was like that? Why was this never addressed?

On that note, Summer watched Truman leave her to die. And yet she seems comfortable with serving him like nothing happened. WHY?

In the finale, why did the Rangers assume Venjix was dead when his body was destroyed when earlier in the season they destroyed his body but never once assumed he was dead?

Also in the finale: despite being clearly traumatized to the point where they revel in the idea of homicide and destruction, why did Gem and Gemma never get the treatment they needed? Why did Corinth willingly induct the homicidally, mentally ill into their air force? Furthermore, why was this portrayed as a happy ending? Why were Gem and Gemma portrayed as mentally disturbed only for Lynn's episodes to curveball their problem to just "being reckless"?

Why was Kilobyte a misogynist? That doesn't make any sense.

Why did Venjix keep Tenaya around? The entire sister plot makes no sense. He hated humans and once Tenaya's initial purpose was finished, there was no reason to keep her around. She was humanoid, resembling something he thought inferior. Did he keep her around to mess with Dillon? But WHY? Why not just demoralize him by killing her when he began to regain his memories?

Why did Venjix stop attacking Corinth for the three or so episodes the Rangers looked for Omega City? Corinth was RIGHT THERE. And it was established pretty early that Grinders can just walk into the damn place with no resistance (they ATTACKED THEIR BASE IN RANGER YELLOW). Especially since he apparently has all those hybrids just WAITING AROUND. Or he could've just sent his army to take down Corinth while the Rangers were in the middle of the desert.

Why was anything ANYTHING?

In If Venjix Won, why did Dr. K's archive footage reveal itself if you DIDN'T answer the password correctly? Passwords are meant to keep people OUT of things and NOT get information. Enemies broke into the base like two or three times before this. Dr. K's computer is designed to give the enemy the information they were trying to steal anyway.

After three episodes of establishing that Corinth is so desperate for humanity's survival that they were willing to recruit a drifter as their Black Ranger, why did episode four start with a search for the Green Ranger with a goofy talent show?

Why did we get an entire arc of near pointless, repetitive flashback stories that gave backstories that either hurt characters (again, if Flynn wanted to be a hero so badly, why is he working for a cynical, jaded bastard like Truman?), the mythos (Summer's parents think Corinth's only effective military force is USELESS?) or didn't add anything to them (Scott's backstory is pointless because the EXACT SAME THEME is played out in every single one of his focus episodes anyway)?

And most importantly of all: Why did the fandom notice NONE OF THIS?

RPM had three good episodes: Dr. K (because it was a rare moment of actual emotional honesty in the show, not horrible melodrama like that flower crap in the beginning of the series), Not So Simple (a nice little character story), and And...Action! (glorious metasilly). Everything else was, in all honesty, a loud of crud with gravitas that didn't actually exist. And the entire fandom loved it, because Power Rangers fandom only needs you to pretend to be deep for you to be loved.

Vague enough?

14. Dogbert

Dogbert I Don't See Gravity

That level of nitpicking can be applied to any season of PR. Or any show for that matter. And a lot of it doesn't express a flaw with the show, just something you don't agree with or understand. For example, you said:

They can't address every question that could ever be brought up. Plus, in this case I think it's obvious: because the city would be destroyed if people who don't agree on everything refuse to work together.

I agree with some of your points, disagree with some others, and don't see why the remaining even matter. But, if you make a list of nitpicks, unanswered questions, and instances of anything less than perfect logic, you can get a long list for any show. That isn't what makes a show good or bad; it's whether the good outweighs the bad and by how much. A list of unanswered questions is a small piece of that puzzle.

And since you said it was the most important thing... You asked:

Probably because they were too distracted by talking about the things they liked.

15. garfield15

This is nitpicking. All of this. These are the kinds of questions that nobody really gives a crap about. These are the kinds of questions that prove even more why a show intended for kids should not really be reviewed so heavily outside of actual flaws in-show. I could make a gigantic list of every Power Rangers nitpicking like this. Heck, I could make a list of anything nitpicking like this to make it sound worse than it is. It's one thing to offer criticism but it's another when you make a long post of nitpicky complaints that the neither the children nor the older fans really care about.
    Are you seriously asking why a character has a certain trait? That's like asking "Why does nobody notice the morphers on the Wind Rangers" or better yet, that's like asking "Why are Bulk and Skull so dumb? That doesn't make any sense."

16. firefoxprime

I'll agree with you that KRDK had a "shallow version" of maturity. I believe the dark and brooding attitude was a distinguished blend between the "city life" and soldiers running from a war they severely lost. I'm from nyc(queens). Most city ppl are skeptical and stngy. I bet you Sabans' riches most of those US soldiers(when leaving iraq) will in fact be dark/brooding. "War" does that to people.:( The 2 main characters lost their loved ones(lover/father), so brooding was expected.

The rating had to be Y7-FV on CW(and we know how conservative they are), so they worked within the boundaries placed before them. Maybe KRDK is mediocre in your eyes. The show pulled me in. Ever since I watched the original pilot episode(dif actors) the s.effects were even "cooler" than what I saw on PR-Disney era. Fight coreography was top notch. Even earned the show a Daytime Emmy Award for: "Outstanding Stunt Coordination"

I remember the first american tokusatsu adaptation: Kamen Rider Black RX. Also known as....shall we go furthur?:p Anyways, I enjoyed KRDK, and compared it to the masked rider in terms of actually viewablity....and wanting toss my ears cheesey dialogue.

And to turn the thread on a more positive note, why do the s.effects look more professional/appealing tokusatsu > super sentai:confused:

(hey...i typed regular!!:anime: now I fit in with everyone else:cool:)

17. garfield15

What are you saying here?
    Okay, now I'm really confused. Are you comparing tokusatsu and Super Sentai with something or are you saying Sentai's effects are more appealing or what?

18. firefoxprime

Hmm...?
    oh. hehe.

I was responding to Dogberts comment regarding my earlier post. He believes that Kamen Rider: DK had a shallow version of maturity. I agree with him. The show aired on CW with a Y7-FV rating, so of course it's maturity could only reach so far. The team had to work within CW's boundaries. In regard to the US soldiers, he said characters were dark and brooding, which is very true. You're from nyc too. I think you know what mean by the "city life". People are skeptical and keep to themselves(dont get me started on the mta:p). That attitude combined with the "good" kamen rider's, who escaped from their war against Xaviax(which they lost), aren't exactly going to be cheerful. Just like the US troops who are coming back from iraq(wouldnt call it a victory). The 2 main characters also lost their loved ones(lover/father), so that also sets the atmosphere as well.

Kinda. whenever i watched either of those jap superhero shows, I always noticed the tokusatsu effects had bigger ooh/ahh factor to it. Just a casual observation. Maybe a difference in budget?

19. DarkBlaze

DarkBlaze Member

Wow, I never would have imagined this thread would get so much attention. Keep it coming, y'all! :p

20. garfield15

This is Power Rangers. It nearly defined the young boy's 90's childhood :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.