1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

S:TAS "The Late Mr. Kent" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Sep 28, 2002.

?

How would you rate this episode?

1. *****

49 vote(s)
    74.2%
  2. ****1/2

11 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. ****

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I give it 5 stars, its a great episode. My only gripe with it is Bowman figuring Clark is SUpes, with insufficient proof, Im suprised Lois never figured it out if he did. But meh, one second of a show aint gonna take away from this sepisdoe.

2. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

I loved this episode so much.It was extremely dark and very intelligent.I loved the dialogue here as it was very witty especially when the butler (I assume he is) told superman that the governor decided to attend the execution at the last minute and added that it is an election year.Great episode and I also loved the ending when the executor pushed the switch.I gave it 4 stars due to the fact that I couldn't compare it to "Apokolips...now!" or "Legacy".

3. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Just a brilliant episode. I plan to actually use this episode to get people who enjoyed Superman Returns onto the animated series. It makes for a nice bridge episode to hopefully expand their interest in the cartoon. You just can't beat an episode like this. I can't find any fault with it whatsoever. It unfolds at a great pace and the narration by Tim Daily really adds to the overtone tone and feel of the episode. This is one of the episodes I revisit the most I find when I'm going through my Superman DVDs.

4. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan I Will Find Him!

One of the best episodes of the entire series, its very much a Clark Kent story which is nice to see. Its great to see more of Clark Kent the reporter, a top episode 4.5/5

5. ndanan212

ndanan212 New Member

Hey does anyone know why they don't use the death row more often on villains in Gotham like The Joker and others so no more people would die when they escape.

Or is that just lazy writing.

Anyway doing a DCAU marathon (havent watched any series yet, so I just finished Batman TAS, I am now watching Superman and TNBA and it's all incredible.

Otherwise this episode was spectacular, just watched it fo the first time now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. iammattie

iammattie Member

My assumption is insanity plea. Not 100% sure but I believe the death penalty on the mentally unstable legally constitutes cruel and unusual punishment

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. -batmat-

-batmat- Active Member

The series would be really short then, wouldn't it be? Unless they have +100 villains to make an episode and kill them at the end using death row. Same ending for every villain. Wouldn't that be lazy writing?

• Like Like x 3
  8. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Well, in the real world capital punishment has been abolished in New Jersey (where Gotham is often placed in the comics) and is not in force in New York State (where Gotham City is located in the DCAU). We could assume that the death penalty is off the table in the Gotham City of the DCAU. Admittedly, part of me could see making an exception for the Joker.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

True, when else did it come up? I can think of JLU's "Task Force X" with Deadshot but got a stay of execution thank to Cadmus.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The circumstances were different but somewhat related to the death penalty there was also

11. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

There was a Johnnie Cochran-type character who probably did a good job of making sure Gotham's villains would never get harsh punishments, or any punishments at all. Maybe Gotham is full of that type of legal counsel and that's why everyone is back on the streets.