1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

S:TAS "The Late Mr. Kent" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Sep 28, 2002.

?

How would you rate this episode?

1. *****

49 vote(s)
    74.2%
  2. ****1/2

11 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. ****

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LadyM

LadyM Active Member

Arrrrrgh, how I wish I'd recorded this! *smacks forehead*

Great episode . . . especially when Lois broke down in Clark's apartment. *sniffle*

~LM~

2. Robin

Robin Guest

I think this episode alone is worth the $11 I paid for the new Superman cartoon DVD. "WOW" is all I can say about this episode. The animation, the writing, all of it is top-notch here. I loved the idea behind the episode and the ending rivals even the best Batman episode endings. Such a great and darkly humorous way to end it.

To me there was also something a bit more terrifiying about a regular crooked cop willing to kill Lois than the regular super-villian. There was something just a bit more devious about that.

3. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

This is perhaps one of the best episodes of Superman. I give it a strong 4 1/2. It would have been a 5 if this version of Superman wasnt so weak that he was able to be stopped by a barage of helicopter bullets.

4. JSmith

JSmith Member

Fantastic episode! Superman seems to get the short end of the stick in comparison to BTAS but I think that's undeserverd. I bought the second box set of BTAS and was surprised to find how many of the episodes just didn't hold up to the test of time. Of the 28, only about 5 were still good. I've been catching up on Superman and the truly good episodes, like this one, still have the stuff. TMS animated some of the most beautiful cartoons ever done for the entire DCAU. Their Superman stuff is just jaw-dropping. Only Feat of Clay 2 can compare. If you've never seen this one, you've gotta get to Blockbuster and rent it. You won't regret it. Top notch!!!!

5. Legend1203

Legend1203 Superchica

yeah this is one of my favorite episodes too :D

6. Beat

Beat Retired

As great as this episode is, Justice League seemed to invalidate a lot of Clark's character development in it. Clark seems to have no problem being just Superman for seasons on end.

7. Legend1203

Legend1203 Superchica

Lets say that a lot of Clarks character development in STAS has been lost in JL/JLU :crying:

It may be the stess thats come along with being one of Earths mightiest but he's not the same clark/superman that we're used to in the Animated universe...

Now this is just me but : i think that like many people were complaing that superman was too week in JL1 they're trying to make him the complete oposite in JLU... his characterization went to the extremes both times i think.

Back on topic: i said it was one of my favorite episodes because it goes into the clark kent psyche.

8. thanos28542

thanos28542 Active Member

I noticed a couple of you complaining that Supes shouldn't have been running away from the bullets that the Helicopter was firing at him. Well being that it was a Gunship comparable to a Marine "Cobra" gunship or Army "Apache" gunship, those are not tiny 22 caliber rds coming out of the barrel but probably 20mm armor piercing rds that are meant to tear up a tank & powerful as Supes may be, those rds would have to start stinging/hurting him after a few bursts & he started to evade them. In part 3 of LSOK Supes also got knocked around from the rds the Lex2000 battle suit fired at him as well & he took cover behind that truck & you saw the way those rds shredded the crap outta that truck! It would be like getiing stung by a Bee or 2, no biggie, but a swarm will mess you a up big time!

9. Trevor Balena

Trevor Balena Active Member

That's an odd way to look at it. Just because we don't regularly see him in his Clark Kent identity on the show, doesn't mean he's abandoned it. Heck, I can't remember the last time we saw Clark Kent in the JLA comics, but he's there every week in his own titles.

It's just a matter of there being so many characters that it's difficult to show the heroes in both their superhero and civilian identities. Still, we've seen Clark several times, which is more than can be said for, say, Wally West. But I don't see anyone claiming that Flash is ignoring his secret identity.

10. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

"The Late Mr. Kent" airs tonight

"It's not like he's really dead, Martha. He just can't be Clark anymore."
    "But I am Clark. I need to be Clark. I'd go crazy if I had to be Superman all the time!"

Tonight at 12:30 a.m. ET, Boomerang airs the Superman: The Animated Series episode, The Late Mr. Kent. This episode is not yet available on DVD.

[​IMG]

Episode #32 - The Late Mr. Kent
    Original Airdate - November 1st, 1997.

As Clark Kent rushes to save an innocent man from dying in the gas chamber, he is involved in an auto accident and thought to be dead.

Comments?

11. Quagmire

Quagmire allllright!!

This definately was my favorite S:TAS episode. I loved how they got deep into Clark Kent on this one.

I agree with some of the sentiment that it was lost in JLU. We rarely see the heroes in their secret identity except for Starcrossed, and Superman at the end of the Cadmus arc. That's something I wish Timm and Co would bring back for Season 5.

12. JLfan4life

JLfan4life Member

I love this episode too...definitely one of my favorites...and always loved the ending with clark, lois and lana :anime:

13. creativerealms

creativerealms Active Member

I could talk about how this was to me not only one of the greatest episodes of Superman but also one of the greatest cartoon episodes ever made but really at this point it is not needed.

What is worth talking about is Bowman, who knows how many people he killed. That woman might have been his first but it was five years ago and he got away with it for all that time. Who is to say that if he handled any other murder cases that he was not the killer? Who knows how many other people he framed for murder. The police really have to go though Bowman's old cases and look at5em again, who knows how many other people he killed.

I doubt Bowman killed that woman(I know he killed her I mean that he only killed her.), framed that common theif and then went five years before trying to kill Clark. He got away with it and really thought there was no way he could not get away with murder until Lois has him cornered. Someone as confadant as he was would not just do something once there might be at least one other person in death row who was framed by Bowman.

Of course Bowman did seem too smart to try to do something like that enough times to point the finger at himself so who knows. Still I have a feeling that there are at least a couple more deaths out there in the DCAU that Bowman was responcable for.

#33 creativerealms, Aug 2, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2005
  14. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Everyone's already said what I could say--this is one of Superman's finest cinematic moments of all time. I wish more writers had taken this approach, and not gone the campy, tired "giant monster, oh no!" route that many Superman episodes did.

15. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

"The Late Mr. Kent" airs tonight

Tonight at 12:30 a.m. ET, Boomerang airs the Superman: The Animated Series episode, The Late Mr. Kent. This episode will be available on DVD this winter. The current release date for Superman: The Animated Series, Vol. 2 is December 6.

[​IMG]

Episode #32 - The Late Mr. Kent
    Original Airdate - November 1st, 1997.

As Clark Kent rushes to save an innocent man from dying in the gas chamber, he is involved in an auto accident and thought to be dead.

Comments?

16. FelineFatale23

I absolutely love the fact that this is not a Superman episode: it's a Clark Kent episode.

Sure, we see/saw Clark as Clark in the series, and then he switched to being Superman, but if you think about it, this ep was not about Superman at all. While we see day in, day out how great it is to be Superman, very RARELY do we see how great it is to be Clark Kent. And by him admitting that he NEEDS Clark, NEEDS to be the Daily Planet reporter, it magnifies and increases the importance of not Superman, but CLARK KENT.

You sort of see Clark in a very vulnerable place when he admits that. He needs to be Clark as much as he needs to be Superman, and to hear and SEE him say that is a very big moment in his life.

EXCELLENT episode. I absolutely love it!

17. Carrieattheprom

THIS is why I love the Timmverse so much. This show was very serious and mature and did not talk down to the kids in the audience in anyway. Add to the fact we get some serious character development for Clark(and Lois to a degree) and you've got one of the greatest Superman stories ever.(and that includes the comics) I'm slightly surprised that they were able to get away with capital punishment on a Saturday morning cartoon show. The ending was amazing and it gave me chills.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I think that without Lois Lane's line from a previous episode, "target" in which she states she wrote a piece on police corruption that cost Bowman his promotion, the reveal in this episode that Bowman killed a woman would have been extremely flimsy. This woman was most likely a witness to one of Bowman's many incidents and he probably panicked and killer her, in a parallel fashion to his reaction to Lane having the police model bug towards the end of the episode.

19. adoptedBatpuppy

adoptedBatpuppy Confidence is the Key

I watched this episode many times but only recently noticed some things that don't add up quite well in my head, until my friend with whom I was watching this episode pointed them out.
    Firstible, why didn't Superman put out the fire by blowing at it, instead of water logging the whole building. Do you know how much damage that caused? :eek:
    The second thing is that Lois confronts detective Bowman, when she already knows that he is guilty of the crime. Why didn't she go to the police instead? Like comisoner or something, the higher ups. :shrug:

I'm surprized my friend noticed that after her first viewing. :robin:

20. stwasm

stwasm Active Member

Easily, my all-time favorite S:TAS episode. There was a lot of drama and tension that left you on the edge of your seat. The episode also gave the audience a real inside look of what Clark Kent has to go through, being Superman.