1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

S:TAS "The Late Mr. Kent" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Sep 28, 2002.

?

How would you rate this episode?

1. *****

49 vote(s)
    74.2%
  2. ****1/2

11 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. ****

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Discuss this classic Superman: The Animated Series episode!

[​IMG]

Episode #32 - The Late Mr. Kent
    Original Airdate - November 1st, 1997.

As Clark Kent rushes to save an innocent man from dying in the gas chamber, he is involved in an auto accident and thought to be dead.

Comments?

2. Livewire

Livewire The Electrifying Member

This week’s episode of S:TAS happens to be one of my favorites. It’s an excellent episode that I highly recommend be watched.

#2 Livewire, Sep 28, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2002
  3. Jor-El

Jor-El Krypton is doomed.

This is easily the single greatest episode of Superman ever. Anyone who is still slightly unsold on the greatness of Superman or this particular cartoons series is going to be locked by this episode. This is the ultimate example of excellent writing, characterization, and animation. Although the Darkseid episodes, the first Brainiac episode, and the Green Lantern and Flash episodes come to mind as other excellent episodes, this one is the single greatest.

4. Bleu Unicorn

Bleu Unicorn \ (^v^) /

This is really a very interesting episode. Things that reveal the secret identities of our heroes always seem to intrigue me quite a bit, I'm just weird that way I guess.

Anyhoo, so as not to be too boring, I guess I'll just talk about the things that stand out to me a lot. Superman telling his parents that "he'd go crazy if he was Superman all the time" really is an important statement. Unlike, Batman for instance, whom we tend to associate as more Batman that Bruce Wayne, Superman really is Clark Kent. The idea that there would no longer be a Clark Kent really is impossible for him. He needs that human side of him, that part of him that is completely normal, and accepted into our society as a person and not some bigger than life Kryptonian superhero.

Lois admits how much she cares about Clark to Superman, remorsing over how she's treated him and how she's never said that she does care and respect him. It's very touching -- and one can imagine really made Superman bite his tongue not to blurt out, "Gee thanks, Lois, I knew you cared deep down." Or something equal to and, potentially less chessy, than that.

I was definitely on the edge of my seat on this episode. Not about Superman finding the true criminal -- I knew he would after all -- but more about how he'd bring Clark back from the grave. In all actuallity I found the scenario kind of a cop out. I don't know -- it just seemed... well odd. But it was nice seeing Lana and Clark put Lois in the hot seat. It's so rare that she gets flustered and cornered (save for the damsel in distress stuff of course) that I really got a kick out of it.

A solid 5 star episode for me.

Edit: Fixed a typo. <bops self> :eek:

#4 Bleu Unicorn, Sep 29, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2002
  5. JusticeLeagueLegion

JusticeLeagueLegion Samantha is a hottie!!

I remember the first time I watched this episode...it's so auesome...it's a great episode...Superman's not fighting some super powered super villain for once...which is what makes it so interesting...not that I don't think Superpowers aren't cool, but it's nice to have a break from them for a while.

6. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

I can easily see why so many regard this as a favorite!

It was great seeing Clark use his mind rather than his muscle for a change. :)

The pain Clark had to deal with being faced with the prospect of never being "himself" again gave us a nice insight to his chracter

The use of Lana to get Clark off the hook was a very nice touch. It's nice to see Lana willing to help Clark out and continue to shar his secret.

The last revelation the detective would ever have was an interesting way to wrap the episode. He figured out Clark's secret, what if he wasn't executed?

7. JTurner954

JTurner954 Paradigm City, USA

This is definitely one of the best episodes. I always give extra points to shows and movies whenever there is a narration. Like Batman, they finally give us an episode that doesn't involve a villain with super powers or comes from another planet. Plus, Superman doesn't show off his powers that much either.

4 1/2 stars. Now bring on some S:TAS DVD's WB.

8. Batman's Biggest Fan

Argueably one of the best episodes for the series. 'Nuff said.

9. BeastBoyWonder

BeastBoyWonder Teen Titans Go!

This was the first episode of S:TAS that I saw, and it had me hooked.

10. Reed Richards

Reed Richards Mr. Fantastic

best episode ever (non Darkseid)

I'd say this story easily rivals and maybe beats anything that was produced in BTAS or TNBA

What a brilliant, well concieved, animated, and acted story this is. And the ending is great.

11. Andy505

Andy505 Member

Wow, that was really a good episode. Gotta love the ending.

"How did he survive that crash?"
    "He's Superman!" (Gas fills the death chamber)

Very well done. Best episode of the series. :D :D

12. DerekPowers

DerekPowers Ruler of Gotham City, 2049

this really was one great episode. and i finally gots it on tape! booya!

anyway, i wouldnt call it THE best episode, but definately one of them. and the animation, ohhhh, the animation!! a sight to be seen!

the one thing that did puzzle me was if that guy ordered a pizza, a pizza which was delivered at about the same time as the murder, you'd think his lawyer would easily get that evidence, or that the guy would keep telling everyone over and over, 'BUT I HAD A PIZZA DELIVERED AT THAT TIME, SO IT WASNT ME!" oh well, i know its nit-picking on my part, but thats the only thing i found alittle odd in this ep. anyway, i gave it 4 1/2 stars. peace.

13. Calico

Calico Didn't you get the memo?

This is easily the best episode of Superman that I've seen so far. Man if that fisherman hadn't been almost blind, Clark would be up the creek w/out a paddle!

14. BrendaBat

BrendaBat WTF!?

Here's another stupid fan-girl nit-pick:
    Who was the murdered woman and why did the dectective kill her? It's just something I always wondered about.

:) 5 stars

15. JTurner954

JTurner954 Paradigm City, USA

I recall that Superman said the guy didn't have a lawyer;he had a public defender.

16. Anubis C. Soundwave

Anubis C. Soundwave Ruler of the World

That....

...and the convict was an "American of African descent." Were it not for Superman, Ernest was DOOMED*. [yes, I know it could have been a "white" criminal facing the gas chamber due to a frame-up.]

We never do find out why the woman died. I guess it's one of many things we can speculate about. Perhaps it ties in to the corruption bit Lois reported on(previous ep where someone tries to kill Lois; Target, I think) that cost Bowman his promotion. [and thus, said cop's loathing of all reporters.] We don't know. And that's fine by me. We don't want this minor character's life history crammed into a 22-minute Superman character study.

My only nitpick: why is Superman running away from chopper bullets. They can't hurt him.... :) [and this was one of those minor nitpicks that I can overlook, explain away, or just let the buzz of how visually stunning the chopper scene looked.]

And I, too have this ep on tape with Inuyasha(sexymaru--er, sesshoumaru), Robin's Reckoning, A Knight of Shadows(JL), and the wackiest, creepiest SJ ep EVER. Ah, yes; The Late Mr. Kent I loved when I first saw it, and I like it even more now.

The music was another plus. Animation Director Hachizaki was another reason this ep was a keeper. [ah, TMS-Kyo, may you someday handle an ep of JL....]

But the best part is how they handled the Clark/Kal-el dynamic. No one wants to be a superhero 24/7. [I doubt even Bruce Wayne does, despite his "I am Batman!" mentality.]

I do like this episode; this was one of the best. I think it was the best of the first season. [actually, a toss-up between it and "The Main Man" arc, but as a single ep, TLMK stands proudly as a sweet depiction of Superman, a jewel that truly adds to and enriches the mythos.

* Boy, those public defenders are silly. He had pizza. Walker was probably watching TV/staying out of the parole board's radar. [if he's ordering pizza, the man was already out of prison on good behavior/bail, and he didn't seem to be one of those crazy ones that like jail and gas chambers.] Like Superman said, the nit didn't even bother to check his alibi; flimsy as it was, it's not that easy to fake.

* Lesson learned in this ep: ALWAYS BACKUP AND SAVE computer files, especially floppy disks. You never know when some nutty cop might blow up your apartment or car.

17. Batman49

Batman49 Naked Snake Returns

Damn I've always loved this episode since it first aired and its nice to see I'm not the only one. Its nice to see a detective story with Clark Kent every once in a while. I especially like the narration by Clark Kent. It gives you an insight into his way of thinking.

18. Steven C

Steven C Active Member

19. Caped Crusader

Caped Crusader Batman--The Dark Knight

This is one of my all-time favorite S:TAS episodes. The animation was great and the story was excellent. I thought the ending when Bowman realized Clark was Superman was very well done. 5 stars easily.

20. Livewire

Livewire The Electrifying Member

What a great episode! The animation, the story, everything, was outstanding- I have nary a complaint. 5 stars!