Rumors on the PS4

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Peter Paltridge, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

"And right now, we're focused on PlayStation 3, and I've got another platform (PlayStation Vita) to get out the door in seven days, so I don't want to be thinking about trying to launch new technology anytime soon. I want to focus all our energy on our console business, which is really just hitting its stride, and Vita, which really deserves a dedicated push from us."

"I, quite frankly, would be very distracted if I had to be talking about next generation hardware this year,”

-Sony's Jack Tretton in Febaruary 2012, commenting on Playstation 4 rumors. Yes, he's said the PS3 has "hit its stride" multiple times...though the phrase is about as old as totally bogus playstation 4 rumors. I would also note our proximity to April 1st.

And no, Kotaku, it so happens that "Orbis" does not sound even a little bit like the word "four"....

3. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

I don't usually buy used games, but I'm more worried by the fact that you'll have to be connected to play the games. I don't have a dedicated ethernet cable for my home console and have to disconnect my PC when I want to connect my system. I'm probably going to buy the next gen 360, so hopefully they don't try to employ that same system.

4. Lanmanna

Lanmanna New Member

Rumor has it that the next Xbox will either have no disk drive and/or you will have to input an authorization code to play games.

If both the rumors of the PS4 and NeXtbox are true, looks like I'll only be buying the Wii U.

5. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

Even worse. I have a satellite connection with limited bandwidth. If we reach the point where games have to be downloaded, I'll be out of luck.

6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

Yeah, this sounds pretty awful. If this true, Sony won't be getting my money.

7. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Having games strictly downloadable would alienate a HUGE number of players. I highly doubt we'll be seeing that sort of system in place until perhaps the following generation of consoles.

8. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

Heh, looks like this next generation is going to be rather interesting. I can't really judge this yet, but it does sound...rather bad. One thing I loved about the next generation consoles was that I was able to play my old games from the previous consoles. Yet, if this "Orbis" is really not going to have that then I might not be particularly interested at all. I'm not even a fan of the Wii U currently. :sweat:

9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

I agree. I mean, (most) PS3s played PS2 games, and the Wii played GameCube games, so why stop now?

10. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

Here's the real problem...it still costs a ton to make PS3 chips. PS1 chips didn't cost very much. The PS1 was $99 by the time the PS2 was released. PS2 chips were more money, thus why they had to start cutting them out to stop the financial bleeding. Sony crammed the PS3 with so much cutting-edge tech (for 2006) that none of it is nearly where it needs to be to pack it in with a PS4 and keep it under a thousand dollars.

So I wouldn't be shocked if both Sony and Microsoft did away with BC next gen. (Wii U is confirmed to play Wii games.)

What I'm really unhappy about is that if all these stories are true, there'll be no point in console collecting anymore. If you can't play anything on an old system because it has to look for a server connection that doesn't exist anymore....then it's worthless. Take that, nostalgia!

11. FFmax

FFmax Pangoro's Bizarre Adventure

I buy used games all the time, and the only time I buy a game brand new is when it's on a handheld, or it's at a reasonable price, or it is a game series I really like. What would happen if I gambled a large amount of money on a crappy game? I hope that used game thing isn't true because I can guarantee that a LOT of people won't even bother with this console. Hell, I still haven't gotten a PS3 yet.

12. Lanmanna

Lanmanna New Member

I always said I would be a lifetime gamer, but if all this depressing stuff comes to past, I may have to take back that comment. IF all of this is true, we can probably expect the same kind of crud with the handhelds after the 3DS and Vita.

No system is safe(except for the classics).

13. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

Don't expect to play many third party games if that's the case.

14. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Who knows? Maybe the Wii U will be the golden age of Nintendo third parties.

As for all of these rumors, man I hope they don't turn out to be true. I like having the freedom to play my games even if my wifi craps the bed and I like the used games market. I really think game companies are driving full speed toward a cliff with their plans to destroy the used game market. They look narrowly and jealously at a bit of potential income that they're not getting and completely miss the bigger picture issue of how important used games are to the popularity of gaming in the US. Cut out the used games market and you shrink the market as a whole, which hurts everyone. Seriously, what do they think people are using their store credit at Gamestop for? They're putting it toward the next hot new game.

15. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Better than not being able to rent or buy used games at all.

16. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

If these things come to pass for all future consoles then PS3 or Wii U shall be my last.

Backwards compatibility may be too expensive to keep but no used games? Unless you can rent full games for a reasonable price on PSN, Live, etc. I'm out. Maybe I'll move to PC gaming until that sucks too.

Why the lockouts? Is piracy doing THAT much damage? The big dogs should be rolling in dough by now.

17. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

What are they trying to do? Kill Gamestop?

18. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

Of all the things to take from PC gaming, attacking used games is one of the stupidest to choose. PC at least have the hardware incompatibility excuse.

19. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

FWIW, via Gamespot, this analyst is even more dismissive of this than I am:

20. dendawg

dendawg RIP Dusty :(

This whole "no used games" thing is IMHO very unlikely, but still something I wouldn't past Sony.