1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rumor: X-Men TV Cartoon Series Announced Later This Year?

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by thisguyisnotcool, Feb 6, 2017.

1. brodie999

brodie999 Active Member

Yeah, I think so too, I've got some interesting news, Sony just lost $962 Million last quarter, They just admitted they regretted selling back the Merchandising Rights to Marvel and now there's a rumor posted by The Dudes Movie Reviews that Sony is about to sell Spider-Man's Movie Rights back to Marvel, If they do this, They'd also get the rights to produce Spectacular Spider-Man and Spider-Man: the New Animated Series and bring the shows back, which will make fans extremely happy and make Sony regret that too. The Dudes Movie Review - Timeline
    Sony Admits Selling Spider-Man Merchandising Rights Were Short-Sighted
    Sony Takes $962 Million Goodwill Charge In Pictures Division | Deadline

2. Barbossa

Barbossa Member

I don't mind a new Xmen show as long as its not Wacker and co doing it. I want it far away from the Disney XD Marvel universe. Let it be on Hulu or Netflik with a new creative team that is not scared or female characters, romance or persecution on a kids show. The xmen universe is more than big enough to carry its own show as we all know. No need for forced Avengers stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

The Marvelous Foxmen! :D

But yes, I too would welcome a new animated series. It would be about time, ya know? Getting an announcement in the second half of the year and the show coming out sometime next year isn't that unrealistic imo. They can't ignore the animated universe forever. My only wish would be for them to focus on less known mutants for a change.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It would be pretty cool if there was a good new X-Men series and a solid season of Young Justice available at the same time.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Sony shouldn't have regretted it in the first place since it's their own fault for turning The Amazing Spider-Man 2 as a spring board for their own cinematic universe than being a what would have been a good sequel.

I'm glad Spidey is in the MCU and I do hope Sony sells their remaining portion of the film rights back to Marvel and let Marvel do him right in the MCU.

As for the rumour, I do hope it's better than Marvel's recent shows as in Ultimate Spider-Man and Avengers Assemble. I know, I know, it has fans and I know Dan Slott is going to be involved in the new Spider-Man cartoon when he's responsible for the current dork age that started after One More Day, but I do hope this rumour is true since there hasn't been a X-Men animated series since Wolverine and the X-Men.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    #45 AdrenalineRush1996, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I hope, if this show indicates a willingness to use Fox-owned characters in animation, that we see the Maximoffs in animation again :).

Ironically while they're more associated with The Avengers in the comics, they've generally been fairly major players in most modern X-Men cartoons, so it would be nice to see that carry over into a new X-Men cartoon if we're not going to be seeing Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in Avengers Assemble at any point :ack:.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

Well Marvel Entertainment has always had the rights, but if the tension has being removed which is more than likely with the Fox and Marvel TV shows, then they can just continue doing what the do with the X-Men.

I wonder what Greg Johnson and Greg Karl (if that's the spelling) are doing right now?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I know Greg Johnson was working on Transformers: Rescue Bots, and if you're referring to Craig Kyle, I believe he and Chris Yost both worked on the screenplay for Thor: Ragnarok.

• Like Like x 1
    #48 Frontier, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  9. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Reminiscing on how the X-Men have been on every major network and produced by such a wide variety. Not opposed to Disney XD taking a crack at it, but would be very intrigued if Fox TV decided to take the reign.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Though wouldn't an X-Men cartoon be a little out of Fox Animation's traditional wheelhouse? Unless they over-emphasized the comedy.

11. Greg91

Greg91 Member

Well, Marvel has the rights to X-Men in animation. Unless they wanted to work with Fox for whatever reason, it would definitely be with Marvel/Disney. It's like expecting Marvel to work with Sony on the new animated Spider-Man series because Sony has the film rights. Doesn't make a ton of sense if they don't have to.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. brodie999

brodie999 Active Member

Yeah, Marvel deserves to have the movie rights to Spider-Man back So Disney can take over the distributing of Homecoming and any future Spider-Man movie, If Sony sells him back to Marvel, They'll recuperate for their loss. I'd be shocked if Spider-Man's movie rights were given back to Marvel 6 years after The Merchandising rights.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AdrenalineRush1996

I've got news for you: Dan Slott is also involved in the new Spider-Man cartoon as well and he's an even more polarising figure than Wacker and Loeb, especially his tweets.

14. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

Well the rumor didn't say this would be a Disney XD show so maybe Netflix/Hule isn't too out there. :p

• Like Like x 3
  15. Mostezli

Without question. Just me rambling.
    The reason would be the same for the upcoming X-Men shows being developed and released by Fox and FX whilst still co-productions with Marvel TV and even though Disney own the tv rights.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Greg91

Greg91 Member

But Fox went to Marvel to make those shows, so it was definitely going to end up on Fox's choice of network, including their own. Legally Fox had to get Marvel's approval to make these live-action shows, meanwhile Marvel doesn't need to do that with animation. So I would be very confused to see an X-Men show that's not on Disney XD or a streaming service.

17. Mostezli

That's what I was referring to. Fox goes over to Marvel to request an animated show because otherwise there's no incentive for Marvel to make an X-Men cartoon.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Greg91

Greg91 Member

That's possible, but Marvel and Fox improving their relationship might be enough of a reason to make the show as part of their (potential) revitalization of the property. For example, I'm pretty sure Marvel isn't making their new wave of X-Men comics in April because Fox asked them to. It's just part of revitalizing the property thanks to the better relationship with Fox.

I think Fox is just interested in the live-action shows anyway. I can't really imagine why they'd want an animated series. It's totally possible and I could be wrong, but I don't see it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Still if Marvel and Fox were working together I'm pretty sure the FF would have another comic by now.

20. AdrenalineRush1996

Well, the problem is that Fantastic Four's sales drastically declined earlier this decade unlike the X-Men and Marvel decided to cancel it as a result. In an unfortunate coincidence, the last F4 film was a complete disaster and several news reports revealed that it was a very troubled production. In fact, F4 are still disbanded in the main continuity and the X-Men are still active along with their other affliate teams.

Kirsten Williamson voiced Storm in Evolution.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #60 AdrenalineRush1996, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017