1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

RULE THE WORLD VI ~ PANTHEON (Eternal Bliss!)

Discussion in 'Fun & Games' started by jph139, Jul 9, 2010.

1. jph139

jph139 Immortal

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth./And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters." ~ Bible, Genesis

See next post for rules!

CURRENT MAP

NATIONS

LAND OF THE SCOTTIANS
    Deity: Toby Scotts (Jmill)
    God Type: Polytheist Trickster God
    Pantheon: Rand Ravich (Life), Sean Kingston (Sun), Edward Cullen (Love), Lady Gaga (War), The Alphabet (Sea), Moon God (Moon)
    Starting Region: Ukraine
    Capital: Scottia
    Color: Indigo
    Faith: 22
    Bonus: Troll Army (+2 to war rolls), Chalice of Light (Artifact; 40 Faith)

THE KINGDOM OF GOD
    Deity: Yahweh-Ek (Superpan)
    God Type: Monotheist Life God
    Aspects: Satana Alexandria (Death), Leviathan (Sea)
    Starting Region: Jerusalem
    Capital: The House of El
    Color: Medium Green
    Faith: 47
    Bonus: N/A

THE CHURCH OF PRISMATOLOGY
    Deity: Hugh Bliss (The Huntsman)
    God Type: Blood God-King
    Court: Apollo Creed (Sun), Ròs Dalta (Love; MINOR), Tony Hayward (Sea), Humphrey Mintz (War), Walt Disney (Life), Ziz (Sky), Xardas (Moon), Ymir (Death)
    Starting Region: Togo
    Capital: Togoville
    Color: Hollywood Cerise
    Faith: 50
    Bonus: Troll Army (+2 to war rolls), Sword of Swords (Artifact), Djinn Lamp

THE OLYMPIANS
    Deity: Zeus (SpideyFan914)
    God Type: Polytheist Sky God
    Pantheon: Poseidon (Sea), Aphrodite (Love), Demeter (Earth), Apollo (Sun), Athena (Wisdom), Thoth (War), Eros ("Theatre"), Hades (Death)
    Starting Region: Iceland
    Capital: Omegus Olympus
    Color: Deep Sky Blue
    Faith: 10
    Bonus: N/A

WARS

First Holy War (9900 BC - 8700 BC)
    Neverozwonderland vs. Sparta
    Neverozwonderland vs. Holy Arabia

Nile Wars (9900 BC - 9700 BC)
    Helios vs. Holy Arabia

Siberian War (9500 BC - 8800 BC)
    Land of the Scottians vs. Land of the Ravens

Olympian War (8700 BC - 7000 BC)
    The Olympians vs. Mars Inc.

Arctic War (8700 BC - 8000 BC)
    Land of the Ravens vs. Kamui

Titans' War (8100 BC - 7000 BC)
    Behemoth, Leviathan, and Ziz vs. THE WORLD!

Core Earth War (7400 BC - 7300 BC)
    Cartoonica vs. The Church of Prismatology
    Cartoonica vs. Land of the Scottians

Arctic War (7400 BC - 6900 BC)
    Land of the Ravens vs. Mars Inc.

War for Britain (7200 BC - 7100 BC)
    The Church of Prismatology vs. Britannia

Kamuin Wars (7100 BC - 6600 BC)
    Thothland vs. Kamui
    Land of the Scottians vs. Kamui
    The Kingdom of God vs. Kamui

North Sea Wars (6500 BC - 6300 BC)
    Mars Inc. vs. The Church of Prismatology
    Land of the Ravens vs. The Church of Prismatology

War of Mu (6400 BC - 6350 BC)
    The Kingdom of God vs. Kamui

The Great Kamuin War (6350 BC - 5900 BC)
    Kamui vs. The Church of Prismatology

Greater African War (6300 BC - 6150 BC)
    Kamui vs. The Olympians
    The Church of Prismatology vs. The Olympians
    Kingdom of God vs. The Olympians

Battle for Atlantis (6100 BC - 6050 BC)
    Land of the Scottians vs. The Olympians

Asgardian War (6050 BC - 5950 BC)
    The Church of Prismatology vs. The Frost Giants

The Last African War (5950 BC - 5900 BC)
    Kamui vs. The Olympians

2. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Long ago, when the world was still young and mankind had just risen from the mud, gods walked the Earth. None know who these gods were, or where they came from. Perhaps they were men, or ideas, or simply the collective belief of many. Or perhaps they were all they were said to be. Perhaps they were, truly, gods.

As a deity, you are tasked with ruling your subjects as best you can. Their faith is what behooves you. Their strength is what empowers you. And their growth is what, in time, will reward you. This is a time of myths and monsters. This is a time where any man can be a god, and any man can...
    RULE THE WORLD
    VOLUME VI
    PANTHEON
    Ah, yes, salaam and good day! Welcome to the newest edition of RTW, lead yet again by yours truly. Things are gonna be a little different this time, though. You are not dictators or presidents. You are not kings or even men. You… are a god.

The same rules as before apply. However, there are minor differences. First of all, there is no longer a resource system – it has been combined with happiness to create FAITH.

You gain Faith by winning the hearts and minds of your people. If they believe in you, you gain more strength – as with any god – and your influence will grow. Everything requires Faith. To claim a new country, you must pay 5 Faith. To obtain a new member of your Pantheon, you must do the same. War is based on Faith, as is diplomacy. Faith is the name of the game.

Now, there are three types of gods you can play as.

Now, each god starts with 10 Faith and a base nation. With this Faith, you must choose your god-type. There are, of course, twelve different types, and with excess Faith you can obtain more. You can name them yourself, make them a god or a goddess, and, once per round, instead of any other action, use one of your gods’ powers.

In addition, you may buy either a Hero or a Wonder, for 10 Faith each. Both may be killed/destroyed in warfare, or simply by bad luck each round, the likelihood of which increases each round. You may only have one of each type – Hero or Wonder – at a time.

For warfare, you may declare war at any time. Basically, it is Faith vs. Faith. There are no longer any bonuses from size, but a D20 roll (halved) is a continued aspect. Heroes, gods, bonuses, or being a Monotheist God are other ways to increase your power. If you are successful in war, your people will continue to be faithful. If not, you will lose Faith instead. In addition, Alliances no longer exist. No self-respecting god would admit he is equal to another, would he?

And… that’s about it, I think. Pick your poison and here, we, go!

3. Superpan

Superpan Member

So do we pick deities yet or do we wait?

4. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Umm, I guess you COULD, but it doesn't make much sense to claim anything until we have the map.

So that's kind of the priority. I won't be counting anything said now as official. This is just to, y'know, plan things out. And get the map. Or at least opinions about the map.

(The map.)

5. Superpan

Superpan Member

I would prefer the old-fashioned map, becuase if you go modern, it might cause problems with all the players probably wanting to play as gods that...all were created by tiny countries in the Mediterranean. I my self want to play Yahweh, and if we do count Allah as a different deity, I wouldn't want to go instantly to war over the Middle East or with the Greek and Eygptian gods.

(That's my God choice by the way. Monotheist. Also, if Allah could be the same person, it would make things simpler. Just saying.)

6. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Well, there may end up being three Yahweh by different names. There might be Zeus and Jupiter. Like my intro thingy says, all of these beings are of... dubious nature. You can't be sure who's a god, who's a faker, who's a figment of the public imagiantion... it's a crapshoot.

7. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

I don’t really know what to do about the map. Perhaps use a contemporary one but simply erase all of the existing borders? Then we could pick a place to start and as our faith increases and we spread our power, our devotees can secure the land and then borders can be added. That could create some interesting dynamics, as instead of one person simply claiming a country, two people could claim territory in the same country, which would be realistic in a war of faith. It would be similar to Operation Revolution, in that we get more land as we get more power, but you can get more land faster by spending faith and choosing a direction in which to expand.

8. Superpan

Superpan Member

Oooh, I see. Clever.

9. The Huntsman

I have a question. It says that when we begin we have to pick a power for our God. It also says that we can acquire new Gods and can then use their powers at the cost of our action for the round. However, does it still cost that much to use your own power? I mean, if somebody starts as the Sun God, in order to make Wonders cheaper do they have to give up their turn for that round?

Also, can a monotheist God still acquire new Gods to serve under them? Seems to be contradictory, unless it’s saints with superpowers I suppose.

10. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Good question. I suppose that would depend on what y'all think - I originally intended it to be used once-per-turn, like with every other deity, but having one power permanently in effect could be interesting. Could also be unbalanced.

Thoughts?

With that, I was thinking the deity would be able to get new "incarnations." Like, the Judeo-Christian God has "grandpa in the clouds," the Holy Spirit, the Burning Bush, all sorts of prophets that are kinda-sorta incarnations.

Going from a minor deity to one of those omnipotent ones by upgrading their godliness. Which sounds like a crappy video game plot, BUT, y'know. Roll with it.

11. Superpan

Superpan Member

So, wait how do we start as a monotheist god then? Do we pick a version and just go from there? Incidentally, would Jesus count as an aspect of an monotheist aspect or a god-king?

12. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Yeah, you pick one incarnation and start from there. Like, I'd start of the Judeo-Christian God as a Life God, and then get War, and then the Earth and the Sea and the Sky.. or start with War (he does tend to destroy stuff a lot) and go from there. All up to you.

Jesus... well, again, whatever you'd like. He could be a God-King - a being of divine birth who rules on Earth. Or he could act as an incarnation of the One True God or what have you. Or he could be on a polytheistic super-team with Buddha, Muhammad, and Galactus. It's all up to you.

13. The Huntsman

I’m just concerned that being forced to give up your turn makes some of them a bit… pointless. Take the love god, for example. In previous Rule The Worlds, the bonuses that gave you an increase in resources were usually popular, but if somebody chose that in this game, would it even help them? To get +1 faith, they can’t expand. If they don’t expand, somebody will just attack them. And if they got attacked, the war god would have been a much better choice.

Some are unbalanced as it stands. If somebody starts as the sea god, they can have their cake and eat it, too. They can use their power and still claim a new country with a sea border and declare war on other people with a sea border. Unless I have read that incorrectly.

14. Superpan

Superpan Member

So, wait, can we have multiple versions of the same guys running around? Can we just make up gods? Oh, I'm going to have fun with this. :evil:

15. jph139

jph139 Immortal

A legitimate concern, but expansion will likely be a bit slower this time around. It takes 5 Faith to claim a new nation. You'll generally only get 1, 2, 3 more Faith per turn. So on those turns where you don't have enough to expand, you'll generally want to use a God power that turn.

No, not quite. At the start, you can't expand or go to war across the Mediterranean Sea, because there's water in the way. With the Sea God, you can - but it still needs to be within 100 pixels and such, the same rules as prior games.

Of course. You can have Odin the Warrior, Odin the Wise, Odin the Lord of the Dead... you can have Smarglee the Lord of the Brown and Green Earth. Whatever you'd like.

16. The Huntsman

Ah… You might want to clarify some of the powers, then. The god of wisdom, for example, seems like it works a bit differently than the others. At any rate, I was looking forward to this game because I wanted to correct my mistakes and do better, but with this system, I’ll probably end up making new mistakes.

Since we start with ten faith, I presume that means we can’t start out as a blood god or a trickster god?

17. jph139

jph139 Immortal

The whole "defensive fortifications" thing is just flavor - if you use the God of Wisdom power, your opponent's increases to warfare rolls (1.5x bonus from being Monotheist, using their War God power, any of that) are discounted.

Nope. They're special like that.

18. Superpan

Superpan Member

Who needs them? You chain them up and how do they reward you? They go start Ragnarok!

19. The Huntsman

One last question from me and then I’m ready to choose – or at least I will be once the map is finalized and I can choose a spot, as the spot I choose will determine my other selections. Will there still be random events?

20. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Indeed there will be.