1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

RULE THE WORLD V (Finale!)

Discussion in 'Fun & Games' started by jph139, Mar 4, 2010.

1. jph139

jph139 Immortal

From the desk of King Lee:

No. Perhaps I would have been content with you in Alaska, but unfortunately, since then, my tolerance for you has dwindled even further.

2. Jacob

Jacob Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

How about you let Solomon become Pharaoh again and give to him Middle East, France, Russia, China, United States, Mexico, South America and Africa? And this mythical land they call "Ha-wah-eee".

3. Superpan

Superpan Member

Hey Native American Nations, can we divide the top half of North America cleanly in half, since you got Alaska? That's going to hold alot more people than melting islands anyway.

4. Jmill

Jmill Person

Hey, Sitnalta. Since Lee refused my offer, could you give me some land (lowest point on Kingdom of Hill to Lee's Europe holdings)? I would appreciate it.

5. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

On second thought… I don’t have any ideas that would work. I really wanted to create a game in 1660 where we play in the Caribbean, choosing to be merchants, privateers or pirates. However, I’m not sure how to merge that concept with Rule The World style game-play, and trying to figure out solid trade mechanics is making my head hurt. Perhaps a two-month hiatus is for the best. I don’t know.

6. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Hmm... what do you mean? We are certainly willing to negotiate, so long as our land remains at roughly the same size.

Yup, know how you feel. I've been trying to come up with a way to make a game about the colonization of the Americas, but I just can't figure out a way to do it without killing myself.

7. JAG

JAG Active Member

^ Pirates of the Caribbean meets RTW. Definitely a cool idea. Lots of directions something like that could take. Lots of Alliance-related options to use, and lots of ways to sow chaos and discord. Extortion would wind up becoming a problem, I think.

But yeah, the mechanics of that kind of game are unpleasant to think about.

8. The Huntsman

Well, I’ll keep working in it and hopefully I’ll have something by Monday. However, it will probably be more like Operation Revolución in that you won’t be able to start ruling countries right away. Pirates weren’t exactly rulers and I doubt they would want to be stuck defending a solitary position anyway, but I suppose people can rule at their own peril if they manage to take over some land.

9. JAG

JAG Active Member

Alternatively, maybe there could be an option to play as the local countries and try to defend them against pirates. Or we could play as merchants trying to trade with the countries and avoid the pirates. Or trade with the pirates while dodging the local navies. Or various other possibilities.

Again, this game has a lot of potential variety.

10. Superpan

Superpan Member

Basically, you know that western border by North Dakota. Using the south western point of our border, which starts off as a straight line and then veers off into an eastern direction, we draw a straight line in the Canadian property. We get everything east of that in Canada, you get everything west of it in Canada.

Canada: East of the line (including all the islands), North Greenland
    NAN: West of the line, Alaska, the parts of the USA and Mexico you already have.

Also, if we're doing pirates, we would have to work out how to have sword fights. You can't have pirates without swashbuckling!

11. jph139

jph139 Immortal

HERE is our offer. Hopefully it is acceptable, and we can enter into a new era of cooperation between our two nations.

12. Superpan

Superpan Member

Thank you! That was almost exactly what I wanted. I love the new head over there. He's much better than that traitor Coyote. I accept!

13. jph139

jph139 Immortal

The choice is with us still, but the civilization now in jeopardy is all humanity. As the ancient myth makers knew, we are children equally of the earth and the sky. In our tenure of this planet we've accumulated dangerous evolutionary baggage — propensities for aggression and ritual, submission to leaders, hostility to outsiders — all of which puts our survival in some doubt. But we've also acquired compassion for others, love for our children and desire to learn from history and experience, and a great soaring passionate intelligence — the clear tools for our continued survival and prosperity. Which aspects of our nature will prevail is uncertain, particularly when our visions and prospects are bound to one small part of the small planet Earth.

But up there in the immensity of the Cosmos, an inescapable perspective awaits us. There are not yet any obvious signs of extraterrestrial intelligence and this makes us wonder whether civilizations like ours always rush implacably, headlong, toward self-destruction. National boundaries are not evident when we view the Earth from space. Fanatical ethnic or religious or national chauvinisms are a little difficult to maintain when we see our planet as a fragile blue crescent fading to become an inconspicuous point of light against the bastion and citadel of the stars. Travel is broadening.

~ Carl Sagan
    HERE is the final map. Hopefully you're all content with it!

EVENT

The people of Paris were rather content. After years of warfare turning their once-beautiful city into a warzone, the City of Lights had boomed in the past decade. But, as 2040 approached, Pierre sighed. The independent blood of his ancestors still flowed within him, and watching the people around him laugh and smile did nothing but bring that blood to a boil. He struck a match. Tonight, the fireworks would start early.

Those in Russia had always been sharply divided - while the East had gone to Porcupine, the West had joined with Nichols. Now, united under the Sitnaltan banner, old wounds had begun to heal - gradually. Yuri Rusakova III, grandson of Porcupine's closest aide, was the newly elected mayor of Moscow. Next year, he would come into power. Next year, he would make a change.

With a flick of his wrist, the entire room was alight, and Maurice collapsed onto his bed. He could still taste the wine - his close friend, Oscar Lincoln, had made it himself. For an alien, Oscar had come far in society, among Quebec's elite. In a singsong voice, Maurice began to mumble along to the national anthem as it played over the television. Only a few minutes now.

Jimmy cursed as he looked out his window. Long days, then long nights... this far south is was more bearable, but still, he longed for the normalcy of the United States. His father talked about it all the time, but he had only visited once. 'A Freedom Fighter' he thought to himself derisively. 'That's what he called himself. Idiot. I'd rather live in a dictatorship than this stupid little pile of snow...'

Young Martin Napaloni watched the fireworks from afar. Grandpa had been elected yet again, and soon, would enter into his next year as President. He had lost count of how long it had been. At this point, he had no real chance of losing. Perhaps it wouldn't be right to call it a democracy... but does it really matter? The people are happy. I'm happy. All is right with the world.

In his great palace, King Lee was pensive. His advisors paced back and forth, what seemed like miles below his throne. "All I am saying, my Lordship," one implored, "is that, perhaps, you should be worried. The Pharaoh did seem to have close ties to Allah, and if he does exist, you are most certainly at risk." Lee scowled. "I do not fear gods, boy," he said. "I am one."

Child of the Moon watched as her husband spoke with her brother. Both were becoming rather heated - and all over the prospect of war. "It has been fifteen years, my brother," one cried. "Let it go!" The other slammed his fist on the table. "I will not let it go. Howling Coyote would not have let such a thing happen. He was a true patriot!" "That madman!?" "Close your trap!" Child of the Moon sighed. And so it went on.

Tokyo was suffering. Without trade, a metropolistic society such as Japan was beginning to shrink. The population was shrinking. The economy was faltering. Akira Kuwabara closed his door as the countdown clock ticked down. Perhaps this would be his last year in business. He could only pray otherwise.

South America suffered, too. Nil was a horrid ruler, no doubt, but yet loyalists persisted. "Grandfather," as he was now known, was leading a guerilla campaign against loyalist troops. He did not lose often. As he saw a squad crest the hill, he smirked, motioning to his men to flank their position. They did not lose often. They would not lose tonight.

In Mexico, Miguel fanned himself slowly, despite the cool air all around. It had been a long, long walk, and the roads were in disrepair. El Presidente had little care for the rural communities, but as he entered the city, Miguel realized how much it had grown. In the distance, he heard the people count down. Tres... Dos... Uno...

"...Happy New Year indeed." Switzerland remained beautiful, but the country had remained stagnant since Williams came to power, exactly 75 years ago today. In Geneva, it was palpable. Williams was still almost deified here, despite the alien confessions. Statues and memorials were abound. Some things would change. But, from the looks of things, some never would.

...and as the moon wanes on 2040, the new world is alight with promise.

14. The Huntsman

President Man fought his entire life to liberate France, and handing France over to Hugh Bliss saved them from Absalom and Pharaoh. How ungrateful. However, all they’ve done this game is get destroyed over and over, so I doubt post-game Hugh Bliss would have much trouble with them.

I believe this game went well, although I do regret allowing Pharaoh to get back into the game after he surrendered. I just wonder where to go from here. I tend to be very indecisive and have trouble making up my mind over the most trivial issues, so trying to start up an entire game, especially after my last few outings went so poorly, isn’t an easy decision for me.

Final Edit: I’m not going to host another game. I retired for a reason, and while I would like to play another Rule The World game as soon as possible, if only because things went so horribly this time around, I’m just not host material. If somebody else wants to give it a shot, by all means, but I just don’t have it in me to give it another shot myself.

15. Superpan

Superpan Member

While the ultimate fate of Canada and the USA were definitely not what I wanted, I am content that my citizens are one of the few countries that actually enjoy being in the country. As long as I created a democratic country where anyone can prosper, I am content.

16. JAG

JAG Active Member

Yeah, that ending wasn't quite what I had in mind, either. I was going to take back Africa, feed an A1-smothered Lee to the lions, and have Jag regain his sanity enough to enjoy living out his final days in a Cape Town prison. Instead, he'll freeze to death in Greenland, just like the rest of the people I failed.

But what can you do? Next time, all who dare opposeth me shall haveth the wrath of GOD to contendeth with!

17. Superpan

Superpan Member

18. JAG

JAG Active Member

Haven't decided yet. I'll wait for the start of the game to make my final decision, but I'm about to start researching some possibilities.

Edit: Johnny, would you mind giving us more details about the next game? Since we're choosing existing characters, it would be helpful to know in advance how the leadership system, resources, etc. will work. Makes it easier to get an idea of what kind of characters we will play as, and then give us more time to research gods that fit our qualifcations. Also, Superdude would like me to pass along that he wants to play as Dionysus.

#1278 JAG, May 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2010
  19. Superpan

Superpan Member

I would also like to know more as I would like to play as the Judeo-Christian God (Yahweh) and since Allah and Yahweh are described as two different deities, I'm curious as to how you're splitting up the theologies.

20. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Well, here's my idea in a nutshell.

You can choose to be either a pre-existing god, or just make one up yourself. There are three different types of gods you can play as - Polytheist (such as the Greek and Egyptian mythologies), Monotheist (as in Judeo-Christian tradition), or God-King (Gilgamesh or Rama - gods who rule as men). Each has its own bonus and such.

Now, in addition to expanding to new lands, you can build Heroes and Wonders - bonuses, of sorts - and, a major feature, the Pantheon. By using "Faith" (the new Resource system) you can "purchase" new gods, each with new powers, either to join your pantheon, become an "aspect," or part of your god-king councilship. Sky God, Trickster God, Moon God - there are twelve in total, and you have the option to choose one as your "chief" god before expanding.

So, for example, you can choose to be Zeus of Greece and start as a Sky God. You can later purchase Death God Hades and Love Goddess Aphrodite. Or, you can get Trickster God Loki on your side along with Amaterasu, the Sun Goddess. Or, you can be Joh-Nyi Unthrinine, Moon God of Nigeria, and just make things up as you go along.

A loose outline, but, hopefully that clears things up a bit.