1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

RULE NEW YORK (The End!)

Discussion in 'Fun & Games' started by jph139, Jan 7, 2011.

1. jph139

jph139 Immortal

"FORD TO CITY: DROP DEAD" ~ Daily News, 10/30/1975

CURRENT MAP

HARMONY HALL
    LEADER: Ross Tweed (Charles Chimag)
    BACKGROUND: Businessman
    GOAL: Stabilization
    STARTING DISTRICT: Hoboken
    COLOR: Orange
    INVESTMENTS: Emma Brown (Businessman), Margana Corps of Engineers (Architect), Quixote Cardgage (General), MAC Raiders (Hitman), Medical Staff, PR Representative, Gambling (Fixed), Laissez-Faire, Military System, Navy (Size 12), Vertical Farming, [Power Plant], [Weapons Plant], [Taxi Cabs]

RES: 50
    HAP: 100
    STA: 100
    MOR: 55

THE EMPIRE OF NEW YORK
    LEADER: Emperor Boris I (Radical Raven)
    BACKGROUND: Neighborhood Watchman
    GOAL: Unification
    STARTING DISTRICT: Downtown
    COLOR: Light Purple
    INVESTMENTS: Medical Staff, Policemen, PR Representative, Spy, Education, Vertical Farming

RES: 0
    HAP: 51
    STA: 88
    MOR: 60

THE KINGDOM OF NEW YORK
    LEADER: Michael Krum (Superpan)
    BACKGROUND: ???
    STARTING DISTRICT: Wakefield
    COLOR: Green
    INVESTMENTS: Celebrity, Medical Staff, Boz Boll (PR Representative), Education, Military System, Navy (Size 3), Vertical Farming, [Mega Veggies]

RES: 6
    HAP: 56
    STA: 49
    MOR: 15

THE ADAMS COMMITTEE
    LEADER: Toby Adams Jr. (Jmill)
    BACKGROUND: The Law
    STARTING DISTRICT: Governor's Island
    COLOR: Dark Red
    INVESTMENTS: Architect, Businessman, Celebrity, Fishermen, General, Hitman, Medical Staff, Policemen, Dealing, Education, Justice, Laissez-Faire, Military System, Navy (Size 5), Public Works, [Library System], [Immigration Nation], [New York Deposit Insurance Corporation], [Adams Insurance], [Power Lines], [Adams Intelligence Agency], [The Adams Complex]

RES: 45
    MOR: 85

THE DEMOCRATIC FALLACIES
    LEADER: Damien Logi (Blankments)
    GOAL: Reconstruction
    STARTING DISTRICT: Flatbush
    COLOR: Light Blue
    INVESTMENTS: Fishermen, General, Medical Staff, Policemen, PR Representative, Education, Laissez-Faire, [Flatbush Medical School], [Fallacies Resort]

RES: 44
    STA: 95
    MOR: 75

BIG-G GLOBAL
    LEADER: Steven Cain (cradleman)
    STARTING DISTRICT: Astoria
    COLOR: Dark Blue
    INVESTMENTS: Businessman, Fishermen, General, Hitman, Medical Staff, Policemen, Spy, Education, Laissez-Faire, Navy (Size 18), Vertical Farming, [Big-G Stadium]

MOR: 60

DA UN-ABE KEY
    LEADER: Abraham Perry (Freedom Fighter)
    BACKGROUND: Street Thug
    STARTING DISTRICT: Lighthouse Hill
    COLOR: Lime Green
    INVESTMENTS: Architect, Fishermen, Timothy Scar (General), Hitman, Policemen, PR Representative, Spy, Education, Gambling, Laissez-Faire, Navy (Size 5), [Power Lines], [Staten Island Railway]

MOR: 35

RESPITE ISLAND
    LEADER: Claude Fox (The Huntsman)
    STARTING DISTRICT: Coney Island
    COLOR: Gold
    INVESTMENTS: Army Corps of Engineers (Architect), Businessman, Celebrity, Education, Fishermen, Harold Iving (General), Hitman, Medical Staff, Policemen, PR Representative, Spy, Education, Justice, Military System, Navy (Size 25), Public Works, Vertical Farming, [Survival School], [Border Walls], [Power Plant], [Radio Station], [Staten Island Railway], [Coast Guard]

MOR: 70

WARS

April 2015 - August 2016
    The Empire of New York vs. Greenwich Village

August 2015
    The NYC Recovery Group vs. Harmony Hall

March 2016 - November 2016
    Harmony Hall vs. The Kingdom of New York

May 2016 - July 2016
    The Democratic Fallacies vs. The Empire of New York

June 2017 - August 2017
    The Kingdom of New York vs. The Street Goons

December 2017 - February 2019
    The Kingdom of New York/Harmony Hall/Scarnia vs. The Empire of New York

March 2018 - January 2019
    Respite Island vs. Scarnia

January 2019 - October 2019
    Big-G Global/The Kingdom of New York vs. The Empire of New York

June 2020
    New York Federation vs. Scarnia

2. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Rules Post

Now, back in the 70s New York hit some rough times. Rampant crime, drugs everywhere, and the city was on the brink of bankruptcy. They asked for a loan. Gerald Ford said no. Some people said New York was dead and gone for good... but it didn't quite work out that way and it stayed strong. National tragedies couldn't shake New York.

Until today.

The economy didn't get better in 2010. It got worse. And worse. And worse. And now, it's 2015, and it's hit rock bottom. New York, Wall Street, the entire system... it's at the breaking point. And Mr. President - who shall go unnamed - just doesn't want to deal with that. Congress voted by overwhelming majority to remove New York City from the United States of America. Times are tough out there, but, hey, things can only get better. And for some people? This is just a new opportunity. Now they won't just rule the streets, or the stock market, or the political scene. Now, they can...

RULE NEW YORK
    We're back, as per usual, but with a bit of a twist this time. It's not the world - it's just little old New York City you'll all be fighting for control of. Claim a part of the city, and move out from there.

Basically speaking, the game runs on one thing, as per usual - Resources, or RES. Each year, you can gain a certain number of RES, up to a maximum of 50. The number you gain is, more or less, whatever you'd like - you see, RES is gained through the public. Choose the amount you'd like to gain - but beware, this will be subtracted wholesale from their Happiness.

Happiness, or HAP; it's how happy your citizens are. If things are good, each year, your people will be happier, and your HAP will increase; it's entirely possible to create an equilibrium between HAP and RES, but if you shake people down too much, expect their willingness to go down quite a bit. Things like war and poverty and sickness will decrease HAP; public works, peacetime, and generally not being evil will increase it. However, HAP is a major part of another stat - Stability.

Stability, or STA, is how stable your control is. If you're liked, if you're powerful, if times are good - things will be very stable. If your approval ratings drop and times are tough, it'll go down. High HAP generally correlates to high STA, but it's just as possible to rule through fear, and make sure no one is WILLING to fight back. STA can be very fickle stat, though, and can swing up and down if anything changes, so HAP is your best bet.

The last stat is Morality, or MOR. This one is secondary; you can be good or bad, but its largest influence is on the types of people who will associate with you. Politicians won't be hanging out with a two-bit thug, of course, but mobsters prefer the company of "morally loose" characters as a rule. In a game of gangs and turf wars, morality is central.

Now, there are three basic actions - there is (turf wars, really), expansion, and purchasing. You can declare war on anyone for a starting investment of 10 RES. If you have more RES, or certain investments, you gain an advantage; the winner of each battle is decided by a twenty-sided die. Expansion costs only 5 RES, and is how one expands their influence into new areas. In a round, you may also make a purchase, either hiring an Employee or adopting a new Policy. Each costs a total of 10 RES.

Here is your basic "character sheet." Post this, and replace all italic portions with your information.

NAME OF GROUP
    LEADER NAME: (Name of your group's leader.)
    BACKGROUND: (Your leader's pre-collapse life.)
    GOAL: (The goal of your group for New York.)
    STARTING DISTRICT: (The area where your group begins.)
    COLOR: (The map color of your group.)
    INVESTMENTS: (The employees and policies you hire/adopt.)

RES: (Starts at 0.)
    HAP: (Starts at 50.)
    STA: (Starts at 50.)
    MOR: (Varies by background.)

For details on these things...

BACKGROUNDS
    GOALS
    EMPLOYEES
    POLICIES
    Now, I believe that's that. Begin registration now! The game will begin on Sunday afternoon. Or maybe Monday, We'll see.

3. Charles Chimag

Charles Chimag I also find this amusing!

Oh, what the heck, I'll try playing one of these.

Harmony Hall
    LEADER NAME: Ross Tweed
    STARTING DISTRICT: Hoboken
    COLOR: Orange
    INVESTMENTS: None

HAP: 50
    STA: 50
    MOR: 50

4. chdr

chdr Active Member

THE JERSEY BOYZ
    LEADER NAME: Joey Ramone
    BACKGROUND: Syndicate Member
    STARTING DISTRICT: Bayonne
    COLOR: Red
    INVESTMENTS: PR Representative, Gambling (fair)

MOR: 30

5. SpideyFan914

SpideyFan914 Greatest Poster Ever!

GREENWICH VILLAGE
    LEADER NAME: Brad Davis
    GOAL: Unification (I'm assuming you meant to put in "+3 HAP | +3 STA" right?)
    STARTING DISTRICT: Tribeca
    COLOR: Purple
    INVESTMENTS: None

MOR: 50

By the way, what are the costs of all the thingies?

Also, I have a friend who wants to join, but he won't have internet access 'til Friday or something like that. Should he just join late?

6. Radical Raven

Radical Raven Bow bow bow, bow bow bow...

Charlie! You're back!:anime:

*Ahem* Character introduction time!

The Hawk surveyed his the inert bodies of his men with dismay.

"I am most sorry." The man with the beard apologized. "I tried to be polite. But you must admit they were dreadfully..."

"No."

"...rude..er, pardon?"

The Hawk had never been one for talk. He shot the man with the beard point blank, and he went down spewing blood. The Falcon watched him fall...

And then watched him get back up again.

"Now, really." The man with the beard said. Falcon raised his hand to shoot again, and suddenly the bearded man was upon him. He had an arm like iron - the gun was wrested from his grasp as easily as if he were a child, and then thrown jauntily into the river. "I don't see why all this fuss is necessary." Falcon lunged, and the man punched him. As Falcon lay on the street, the man shook his head in dismay.

"Please. I don't want to hurt you. I don't want to hurt anyone. But you have to understand. This is the only way New York can regain it's former splendor. Just listen to me, and it will al turn out alright in the end."

His nose was broken. Falcon considered. Then he spoke. "O.K. Read me that paper one more time?"

The man with the beard broke into a smile. "Oh, thank you." he said, unrolling a piece of paper from his pocket. He the reached into his other pocket and procured a pair of spectacles, and peered through them at the paper. He cleared his throat, and read:

"We, Emperor Boris I, hereby decree that all gangs located in the downtown area of New York City dissolve themselves. We further decree that all gang leaders and their subordinates reform under me, Empeor Boris, the Emperor of New York."

The Empire of New York
    Name: Emperor Boris I
    Background: Niehgborhood Watchman
    Goal: Unification
    Starting District: Downtown
    Color: Purple
    Investments: None

7. VP VP

VP VP Great Ice Dragon

The Mercenary Arms Corporation
    Name: Simply known as "The Broker"
    Background: Syndicate Member
    Starting District: Jamaica Bay
    Color: Black
    Investments: Accountant, Hitman

8. jph139

jph139 Immortal

10 RES each. So, for you guys who are starting with Investments, be aware that it'll be taken from your HAP from the start, which won't be too good for stability. Just a word of warning.

Yeah, I suppose he'll have to.

Oh, and in addition, yes, that WAS supposed to be +3/+3, and we have two Purples, so the Empire of New York will have to be Light Purple.

9. Superpan

Superpan Member

The New York Sicilian Unification Committee
    Name: Al Geraci
    Background: Businessman
    Starting District: Wakefield
    Color: Green
    Investments: None now. Bad for business.

Res: 0
    Hap: 50
    Sta: 50
    Mor: 50

Well, hello. I think we all have the same goal in mind: getting the chance to be warlords. However, personally, that's not what I say. I say that we play nice. That way, no one gets hurt. See, me, I'm a family man. I built myself up with mom-and-pop dime stores. I love my fellow men. That said, if some people overstay their boundaries, then someone's liable to get harmed. Me, I just want my own little part of New York to call my own, to make livable again. Much like a former business associate of mine (a man whose toupee now adorns my mantelplace and his body is mysteriously missing), I believe it's all about the real estate.

So, who wants to make New York City livable, huh? Not that it was livable before, but eh, Tomatoes, Tomatoes.

#9 Superpan, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011
  10. VP VP

VP VP Great Ice Dragon

An anonymous message has been sent to all of the gang leaders:

Hello, by now my agents should have distributed this welcoming message to all of the major "players" in this ruined city. I would like to make it clear that the Mercenary Arms Corporation is here to cooporate with the highest bidder. We treat this as a very "structure oriented" business. Business is open to everyone, but my "gang" with have severe punishments in store for those who might cross a deal. I am very "pleased" to see that we have all started on even terms. I look forward to doing business with you all.

11. Jmill

Jmill Person

THE ADAMS COMMITTEE
    Leader: Toby Adams Jr.
    Background: The Law
    Goal: Stabilization
    Starting District: Governor's Island
    Color: Dark Red
    Investments: None for right now.

There. Now we've been properly introduced. Now, for first impressions. Because I want to make sure you know what I think about you.

-Mr. Geraci: You seriously think people are going to be nice? Really. You're an idiot.
    - Mr. Simply Known as "The Broker": You sound like the leadership version of eBay. I don't like eBay. It's a bunch of people selling junk to each other so they can buy more junk.
    -Mr. Boris: Your country is run by birds. Should be a real "tweet" to see how that one turns out.
    -Mr. Davis: I have no opinion of you because I have yet to meet you. Once I get that opportunity, the opinion will likely shift to negative. Don't try to change that.
    -Mr. Ramone: -looks at startup location- We're going to have a problem, now won't we? Plus, using a Z instead of an S is very very stupid.
    -Mr. Tweed: I have no opinion of you either. Once I do, you shall be the first to know.

There we go. Nice meeting you all.
    -T. Adams Jr,

12. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

Respite Island
    Leader Name: Sheriff Claude Fox
    Background: The Law
    Goal: Reconstruction
    Starting District: Coney Island
    Color: Gold
    Investments: Justice, Policemen

HAP: 30

Welcome, one and all! Tired of being gunned down in the streets? Sick of losing all of your money to petty thugs and would be mafiosi? Then look no more! Respite Island is a paradise amidst an unforgiving hellscape; a place where New Yorkers can spend their time – and their money – without worrying about the troubles that constantly plague them. Admittedly, our district’s fine attractions have fallen into disrepair, but with your help, we will be able to turn this crisis into an opportunity. For my first act as sheriff, I am implementing a policy that will ensure that justice – fair justice – is the cornerstone of our society. We will drive out the criminal elements. To help us accomplish this, I have decided to employ some of New York’s finest – the men and women of the NYPD – to patrol the streets and protect you and the things that you value – your families and your homes. I understand that these expendetures are a heavy price to pay, but I ask you: what is worth more than peace of mind? Respite Island will once again be the jewel of New York City, and these necessary investments will pave the way to a very bright future.

13. JAG

JAG Active Member

The First Step

Leader: The Guide
    Background: Syndicate Member
    Starting District: Hell's Kitchen
    Color: Silver

#13 JAG, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011
  14. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

I wonder if anybody will start out as a street thug. As a former host, it always bugged me when one of the initial selections went unselected. Its bonus isn’t as sexy as the others, but it’s probably the most practical. If I weren’t so intrigued by the idea of rebuilding Coney Island, I’d probably play as a street thug in Central Park. I’d imagine that Central Park has seen better days; New York City may be an urban jungle, but with years of neglect, Central Park would be close to an actual jungle. I would imagine it being overran with all sorts of plants and animals. It would be a nice place for a gang to be headquartered, hiding in the shadows and spooking the hell out of any would be invaders.

I had three different styles planned out for this game. My primary one would have been a corporation stationed in Downtown, but that was taken by another player. You know those newspapers and so forth that I used to make? For this game, I planned on running a little stock market ticker – it would have assigned values to each group and changed accordingly to how they’re doing in the game. But now that I’m not playing as a corporation, I don’t feel like doing that. My second one was Coney Island – I just like the atmosphere and as I said above, the idea of rebuilding Coney Island and turning it into the jewel of New York City intrigues me. Central Park would have been my third one.

15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead A BOMB!

The Street Goons
    Uncle Vinnie
    Stabilization
    City Island
    Med Blue.
    INVESTMENTS: N/A

RES: 20
    HAP: 30

16. Radical Raven

Radical Raven Bow bow bow, bow bow bow...

Can we change our background mid-game? And if a person dies, can he respawn as long as there is land left?

I actually think Thug has the best advantage - maintaining control over the populace sounds crucial - and I was going to pick it initially, when my plan involved bringing back Emperor Raven. However I couldn't figure out a believable way to get Raven interested in New York, so I decided all my "player characters" (all my leaders and employees) this round would be AU historical figures instead.

You seem commited to the Coney Island thing, but if you still want Downtown I'd be more then happy to trade. Spideyfan chose a neighboring territory while I was writing my introduction, and I'm not too keen on starting out so close to another player.

17. Jacob

Jacob Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hello this is Hoaraph (pronounce this HOO•RAH). Not Pharaoh. As you know Pharaoh hates all of you and does not want to rule anything ever again.

Hoaraph wishes to begin his ruling of New York City in the great Arab territory island of Jamaica with all of these beautiful beaches and hot weather and hot wives for Hoaraph too.

NAME OF GROUP: Hoaraph's Beautiful Wives
    LEADER NAME: Hoaraph (the man of the group)
    BACKGROUND: Neighborhood Watching
    STARTING DISTRICT: Jamaica
    COLOR: PINK!!!
    INVESTMENTS: Policewives (let us not be sexist please)

18. Superpan

Superpan Member

I was thinking of doing thug, but I want to build up some land this time. I always feel as if my countries are too small.

19. Jmill

Jmill Person

Impressions for the four people who just made a bid for the city:

Mr. Fox: You sound like a TV pitchman. "But that's not all! Call now and we'll throw in a free blender accessory! Plus, if you call within the next twelve minutes, we'll double your offer!"
    Mr. Guide: I find it humorous that you're starting in Hell's Kitchen. Maybe you'll expand to American Idol if you have the money.
    Mr. Vinnie: I know nothing about you yet. Let's keep this trend going, so there will be nothing to dislike.
    Mr. Hoorah: I am not cheering and yippieing about your arrival. However, I did notice your group is known as "Hoorah's Beautiful Wives." Are you married to everyone in your country? One a related topic, are the men in your country also your beautiful wives?

20. Toon Master

Toon Master Active Member

The NYC Recovery Group
    LEADER NAME: Nick York
    STARTING DISTRICT: Kearny
    COLOR: Yellow
    INVESTMENTS: Policemen, Architect