1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruby-Spears Heathcliff vs. DiC Heathcliff

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by A.Magik, May 30, 2005.

1. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

That sounds like it is probably true. (Riff Raf and Cleo were DIC's own characters, and shouldn't be in the erd party owned HEathcliff.) Stuff like that generally does influence those decisions.
    Besides, what would Heathcliff and Riff Raff do in the same episode? The premise was that the the three cats were the stooges, and in both Heathcliff and Riff Raff cartoons, they treated them pretty much the same (Hated that); i.e Heathcliff and Riff Raff pretty much filled the same role.
    So that sounds like what the article said: that the 3 cats were specifically designed to be in both series.

2. JabarR

JabarR Member

The Ruby-Spears version was completely forgetable, IMO, even with the enhancement of Marmaduke, the stories were just 'meh'. DIC's Heathcliff had better stories and I can actually sit through and watch every single cartoon and I enjoy Riff Raff and the gang. Although Hector, Mongo and Wordsworth interacted with both cats, Riff Raff was much nicer to the guys than Heathcliff was. Heathcliff (as everyone knows) is an all-around (and comedic) troublemaker, who loves to have fun at everyone's expense, with the exception of Sonja and the Nutmeg family, while Riff Raff comes up with schemes along with his 3 cohorts to make things better around his neighborhood alley and junkyard, while trying to avoid guard dog, Leroy.

3. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Hector, Wordsworth, & Mongo were also DIC creations, and, as noted in this thread previously, interacted frequently with Heathcliff. Sounds to me like some stories could've had interchangeable leads (Heathcliff or Riff Raff), which wouldn't make much difference.

4. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

I liked the DiC version way better. It had much better animation (the first season was generally animated by Tokyo Movie Shinsha), and better music by Shuki Levy.
    I also remember the first season of the DiC version was really heavy on classic Hanna-Barbera sound effects, to the point where it almost actually sounded like an H-B cartoon, or even Ruby-Spears (ironic, huh?) The second season had almost none, and mainly used typical anime-esque sound effects (post-production on the second season was actually done in Japan, in addition to the animation production.)

Also, in a Heathcliff strip this summer...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Speaking of Heathcliff, is there any truth to the rumor that George Gately (creator of Heathcliff) hated the DIC show, to the point where he tried to get Nickelodeon to stop airing the reruns?

6. JabarR

JabarR Member

Where's Wordsworth?

7. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Hmmm, yeah, the poet's missing. Good thing Cleo has her leg warmers, otherwise some misguided types might confuse her for Wordsworth.

8. Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk Member

Has anybody bought the Heathcliff complete series on DVD? The packaging sucks but it's nice to have the series.

I watched reruns of the DIC series in the 90s, and it's still a fun show to watch. I was always a big Inspector Gadget fan, and so I enjoy how the two series have a similar look to them (and the cameos). Another thing that impresses me about the show is that the Cadillac Cats are actually enjoyable to watch, and not just crappy filler.

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I'm not really a fan of either version, what little I've seen of them.
    To add to this post, TMS was uncredited. The only studios listed in the season 1 credits were Studio Korumi, Araki Production, Studio Take, and Mushi Productions. Season 2 only lists Studio Jack for backgrounds. Wang/Cuckoo's Nest apparently did uncredited animation during season 2 as well; one of the key animators was Chang Chen Tsung, who is credited on other Wang/Cuckoo's Nest projects (Toto: Lost in New York., The Nome Prince and the Magic Belt, The Wind in the Willows).

10. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

Interesting; I also recall in 1985, DiC opened up their own animation house in Japan to do animation production, and I recall they did a lot of work on the second season of Heathcliff. They also animated on the second season of "Inspector Gadget" and the "Care Bears" episodes DiC produced. They also apparently did post-production in Japan as well, judging by the anime-esque sound effects utilized (the first seasons of "Gadget" and "Heathcliff" were edited in Canada, and often used many familiar Hanna-Barbera sound effects), and the videotape that they were transferred onto (it looks like the Japanese studio even prepared the broadcast master tapes right there.)

11. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I could be wrong, but based on the credits, I'm pretty sure whatever involvement Japan had in the second season was limited to backgrounds (Studio Jack) as well as most of the layouts and some of the storyboards. The actual animation appears to have been done in Taiwan (at Wang/Cucko's Nest, as previously noted), if the names in the credits are anything to go by.

The animation in season 2 is noticeably worse, and looks strikingly similar to Hanna-Barbera's work around the same time. It's actually a great sneak preview at the cost-cutting measures DIC would employ in the late '80s and into the '90s.