1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruby-Spears Heathcliff vs. DiC Heathcliff

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by A.Magik, May 30, 2005.

1. mammy2shoesfan

mammy2shoesfan bigJnyc

I grew up on the DIC version and love the DIC. Thanks to Boomarang I got to see the RS version and I do remember it a little bit being that I was lilke only 2 when it was on. Always thought Riff Raff was the better part of the show must have been the car. Seems funny how no one said anything about the other set of cats that hung around Healthcliff. I don't remember them that well but I remeber they were shown a few times.

2. Toon Capone

Toon Capone Active Member

I liked the Dic version the best.

3. STARTOUNZ

STARTOUNZ Best buds since the Stone Age

I remember those cats. They were Lefty, Raul, and Knuckles, three more thuggish-looking cats that Heathcliff didn't much bother with. They were seen mainly in the DIC series second season in which they stopped having the Cadillac Cats cross over.

4. bat313

bat313 Active Member

Anyone have any screen grabs to compare the two shows??? I only remeber the version with the Alley Cats from when i was little, i had no idea he was in two shows!

5. mammy2shoesfan

mammy2shoesfan bigJnyc

If you have boomerang they usually show the old Ruby-Spears Heathcliff cartoon. Its the Dic version of Heathcliff that I haven't been able to see for the past few years.

6. B-chan

B-chan Guest

Hi! I'm new in the forums, been visting for a while but hadn't been able to sign up till yesterday. Hope to have some pleasant conversations here.

I started here because I loved Heathcliff (Dic). I remember watching it coming home from school everyday in Nickelodeon in the late 80's, back when original animation was an impossibility for the channel. I didn't even know about the RS version till many years later until some other channel showed it.

I loved how the Dic version portrayed Heathcliff as such a badass, after that the RS Heatchliff seemed watered down, not that he wasn't funny, just wasn't the Heathcilff I knew.

7. Jason Furness

Jason Furness Not Actually a Cat

I dunno, but DIC just seemed to like drawing licensed characters however the fragg they wanted. Just take a look at their versions of King Bowser Koopa and Mouser from the Super Mario Bros. games, Dr. Robotnik (and Tails, to a smaller degree) on Sonic the Hedgehog, and pretty much everyone on Captain N.

Other Heathcliff characters that DIC redesigned include Marcy and that guy who sells fish, if not others.

8. RAINMAN

RAINMAN Kikoutei Densetsu

There will always be difference between character drawing in the toons then they were in the comics or toons. Just compare the drawing of DCAU char to their DC comics version.

The Dic version is the firts time I saw heathcliff so I like that one more then the rest.

9. CookieS

CookieS Active Member

Hands down the DIC version of Heathcliff was the best. It had the best writing, the best animation, and was just more interesting. The Ruby-Spears version was more like a 1930's Looney Tune, in which situations and stuff happened only in one cartoon. The later series was much more sitcom-ish and kept the same cast throughout.

10. loyalheart

loyalheart It's Not TV. It's Cliche

i enjoyed both but since i grew up on DIC's version.... I prefer it more...

11. Warrior Kitana

Warrior Kitana A Whole New World

Although I haven't seen the DIC version in quite a while, I still prefer to the Ruby-Spears version. I wish they would show the DIC version on Boomerang.

12. hdofu

hdofu Define Cynical

Having seen both, I remember DIC's version being alot better in both graphics and humor

Can't forget the awful atrocity of their version Megaman >_<

13. Teknomancer

Teknomancer ToonCop 3000

The one by DiC.

14. Fifi Fanatic

Fifi Fanatic Certified Skunkologist

Well, I'm old enough to have seen both when they first aired. (Ut-oh! I'm giving away my age here!). Well, I remember I liked the dogcatcher who was after Heathcliff in the R-S series. But overall, I prefer the DIC version. Good cartoons plus an excellent backup feature in the form of Riffraff and the Alley Cats. Plus the immortal Mel Blanc in both series! :cool:

For those wanting to see the DIC series again, I did see a DVD at Best Buy. Don't know what episodes were on it, however. But hey, Cleo and her very 80's legwarmers live again! XD

15. CPlanetKwame

CPlanetKwame Member

They are both good to me since I loved that fat orange tabby cat.

Ruby-Spears; made a good choice having Mel Blanc voicing Heathcliff, also having June Foray doing Iggy & Grandma Nutmeg. They used the comic strip models. The 7 minute shorts were funny. My favorite; Fair of an Affair, which also marked the only appearance of Crazy Shirley!

DIC; had to remodel Grandma Nutmeg & Iggy. They did keep Blanc as Heathcliff though. My favorite DIC episode; The Siamese Twins (since I once had a Siamese).

16. Ducktales Fan

Ducktales Fan Classic Television Fan Here

Grew up on DiC version ... never knew there was an earlier version of the series until now.

17. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Heathcliff

The DIC Heathcliff is best with the Cats and Co./Catillac Cats in it!

If a new Heathcliff cartoon series is made in the future, I think Billy West (Ren and Stimpy) should be the new Heathcliff voice, or if a Canadian cast is used, maybe Daniel "Buster Baxter from Arthur" Brochu should voice Heathcliff.

18. Zechs

Zechs Rabbit in a box

I would have to go with the DIC verson. I was of age to watch and remember it more so than the Ruby-Spears verson which I remember very little of though I did see it back in the 80's.

19. Brandon Pierce

Brandon Pierce Summer Glau Fanatic

I liked the Ruby Spears Heathcliff episodes, mainly because the episodes were livelier and almost Looney Tunes-ish. I didn't really enjoy the DiC, Heathcliff shows.

BUT I loved The Catillac Cats. Especially Cleo. Is that wrong?

Also, does anybody know the REAL reason Heathcliff and Riff Raff never met, except for in the end credits? There's a reason given at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catillac_Cats but it sounds more like a rumor/theory to me.

20. Pc-Famicom64

Pc-Famicom64 Active Member

Never saw the RS version, Only the Dic version.

Another Fact 1:Tokyo Movie Shinsha only supervise the animation (As well with Toei (Shigeru Akagawa, Supervise for TMS for some time, Move to KK C&D Asia for superviseing the work for The Real Ghoustbusters more often, As well as doing the animation for some Episodes when not superviseing other studios) & Wang (James Wang, Founder/CEO of Wang) to what I know of) , The real animation studios were done by Ahshi (The studio who did the F-Zero Anime) Mushi (Foundid by Osamu Tezuka) Studio Mook (Unknow) & Studio Take (Unknow as well).

Another Fact 2:John K. Worked on Heathcliff.

Wher The Facks were Found: Read The Credits.

;)