1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

RTV to air Retro Saturday Morning Cartoons block

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by powergate92, Aug 7, 2010.

1. spidey4545

spidey4545 Fox Kids Historian
    Reporter

Did they show the first 2 episodes of Lassie by any chance?

2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Caught the last part of Ghostbusters. This was not the first episode (they started with a 5-parter that transitioned from the original Ghostbusters from the '75 show to their kids), and the moral was edited off to make room for Gumby, which I didn't expect. I'm reading now that there are Dick Tracy shorts mixed in as well. Sweet! Tracy was last on Time Warner Kids on Demand about a year ago.

Watched the first few minutes of the Archie Show, then had to run errands, and caught a little of Lassie. Lassie, if RTV thinks of it, could be used on a daily basis to replace some of the shows that have been played into the ground, since it'd fit in nicely with Leave it to Beaver.

Saturday's a washday most of the time, so I'm not going to get too many chances to watch Fat Albert. I do question the wisdom (or lack of same) in airing She-Ra ahead of He-Man.

3. snowpeck

snowpeck Member

Not sure about the second one, but the first they showed was definitely the premiere... Jeff inheriting Lassie from his rich relative... the two of them not getting along at first etc.

The second one they showed also had Tommy Rettig, and he seemed just as young, but I only caught a little of it, so I don't know if it was the second show or not.

4. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

this is still the original Lassie live action show, right? Wouldn't whoever own that also own the animated show? I wonder why that is not turning up, especially with all these other Filmation shows they have. It would be the perfect fit!

5. hobbyfan

Dead on. Classic Media owns Lassie and the majority of the Filmation library, along with the Lone Ranger. Makes ya wonder......

6. snowpeck

snowpeck Member

Classic Media does control Lassie's Rescue Rangers, but the show was generally deadpanned... Lassie's owner Rudd Weatherwax even went as far as calling it "trash". I'd much rather see the live action series.

7. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

Looks like they are also squeezing a few Rankin and Bass "Tales of The Wizard of Oz" between shows.
    The animation looks like it was really done on the cheep, but Damn it old man! get Dorothy home and deliver on those hearts and brains.:sweat:

8. hobbyfan

I caught the last few minutes of Bravestarr. Yeah, it's clear they don't care about the moral messages, since they're being edited out in favor of Gumby, Dick Tracy, et al. What do they think RTV is? Boomerang? ;) :p :D

The open to She-Ra was radically different. Yes, it's part 2 of the series opening arc, but I don't recall seeing this particular open, with a narrator other than Adora/She Ra herself, before today, and I watched most of the episodes in first-run back in '85.

9. Kenny E. McCall

Kenny E. McCall We fight like cats!

Caught Fat Albert, Ghostbusters, Bravestarr, She-Ra and He-Man yesterday. Move Lassie to weekdays, restore the moral messages, and put either Flash Gordon or Blackstar on the block, and we're straight.

10. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

@hobbyfan:

That first version of the opening is supposed to be there until part 3 or 4 I think. What you saw was the second version which was used for all other episodes (they start using the second version once Adora becomes She-Ra for the first time).

I've also noticed that the "moral of the story" segments were removed due to time constraints. However, I personally would like to think that it's not like they don't actually want to show them. Yes, they want to make room for the various shorts they want to give us, but I don't think we should assume that they don't care about the viewers (age notwithstanding) or what they think, or that they don't care about these shows' history/legacy (I know you were joking hobbyfan, but still).

@Kenny: For that matter, they should move the entire block to weekdays. Of all of the shows on this block, only The Archies and Fat Albert ever aired on Saturdays, but there's kind of a reason they eventually started being syndicated. As has been stated before, it would simply take too long to show every episode once a week.

11. Kenny E. McCall

Kenny E. McCall We fight like cats!

Word! Ghostbusters, He-Man and She-Ra, and Bravestarr should move to the weekday block along with Lassie to think about it.

The Archies and Fat Albert can stay on Saturdays, while Blackstar, Ark II, Shazam (animated and live-action), the Filmation Sabrina cartoon, Flash Gordon, or any Filmation toon for that matter, could take its place.

12. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, Shazam is out of the question. Both versions are controlled by Warner Bros., so Classic Media can't do anything about that.

13. hobbyfan

Assuming Classic Media is actually programming the block for RTV, dare we hope for the Lone Ranger (either animated version or live action will do)?

And you can forget about any of the following Filmation shows:

Brady Kids & Star Trek are both owned by CBS-Paramount.
    The DC & Gilligan cartoons are owned by WB.
    Fantastic Voyage & Journey to the Center of the Earth are owned by 20th Century Fox.

I agree with the consensus that Lassie, Ghostbusters, She-Ra, He-Man, & Bravestarr all should be in a weekday package, but there isn't enough time/room for them unless RTV drops Daytime and/or some of the NBC-Universal properties dominating the weekday sked. Too bad they won't do a similar block on Sunday mornings to make it easier.

14. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

People are always slamming that show (whenever it is mentioned). I don't see what the big problem is. It was no worse than the other shows.

15. hobbyfan

I watched a few episodes when it first came out. It was really little more than Lassie rebooted for Saturday mornings, but now Lassie was fronting a team of animal heroes. I don't see where the hate comes from.

16. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

It seemed to be part of a general hatred of anything Filmation years ago, but now some of the other shows (such as the ones airing on this channel) have gained a bit more respect.

17. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Well, to be fair, bravestarr, ghostbusters, and she-ra all came at a time when filmation were starting to improve their animation (just look at bravestarr: the legend, which contains some of the best animation of the company IMO)

18. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

People used the slam the whole studio, and He-Man was the only one that had any respect.
    I never used to compare the animation, so I didn't realize all of the later stuff was an improvement. It did seem less like the Filmation of the 70's, and just seemed to blend in more with everything else, especially the rapidly dominating DIC.

19. PeppeRaskell1

PeppeRaskell1 Peanutized!!!

:crying:She-Ra and He-Man were pre-empted on WNEP2 this mornimg for a high school football game.:mad:

Don't you hate when that happens?

20. Kazuya Prower

Kazuya Prower Keeping it Tails since 2005

Now they were showing one of the 80's Gumby shorts.