1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

RTV to air Retro Saturday Morning Cartoons block

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by powergate92, Aug 7, 2010.

1. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

No, not necessarily. If you go look at my FOX affiliate it says it airs on Digital 23, yet it comes on 24.1. If you look at my ABC affiliate it says its Digital 26, yet it comes on 2.1.

2. powergate92

powergate92 Power Rangers and Stargate fan

Zap2it shows that this block will start airing October 2.

3. Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1 Not 9000! It Burns!

WPGA-TV, according to Zap2it, previously aired Ghostbusters (Filmation), Fat Albert, and He-Man.

4. Mister Donut

Mister Donut Member

One of those confusing things about ATSC is the differences between physical and "virtual channels" and how they work. This page better explains it, but essentially a station can use a virtual number in place of the old analog number they had been on for decades despite being on another channel digitally. Why the mess, I dunno, but blame the FCC as usual.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_channel

5. Neomysterion

Neomysterion TZ's Resident Neopets King

RTV having a retro Saturday Morning Block, WOW!!! :)

By the way, my local RTV affiliate currently airs The Archies cartoon series from 1968 every weekday at Noon. Just wanted to mention that since I noticed The Archies in this awesome mix of classics.

6. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

I remember receiving this channel only once and never again on my DTV box. The signal was so unstable I could never get a clear picture.
    It's too bad RTV has to resort to being carried on such a station with such a low coverage area. I highly doubt WKOB's carried on cable anywhere.
    It was much better when RTV was briefly carried on Connecticut station, WSAH-42, which was available through multiple cable and satellite outlets.

7. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

RTV in Albany will have this lineup, effective 10/2:

8 (ET) Fat Albert
    8:30: Ghostbusters ('86 most likely)
    9: Archie
    9:30: Bravestarr
    10: She-Ra
    10:30: He-Man
    11: Lassie (live-action, 2 back-to-back eps)

Of course, Time Warner jumped the gun and assumed the lineup would take effect today. To make room, Daniel Boone will move to 2 on the weekends, while keeping its 11 am berth M-F.

8. TeamFX

TeamFX Media Guru

Um.... yeah, what Mandouga said. FYI, Heathcliff just got picked up by This TV. :radda:

9. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

For some reason I just started receiving WKOB-LD, but they're broadcasting RTV in black-and-white without audio. It's been more than a week, they should have fixed it by now! The Daystar Christian programming comes in just fine on the station's main channel.:mad:

10. Kazuya Prower

Kazuya Prower Keeping it Tails since 2005

They're also showing Gumby shorts inbetween the shows. Thankfully they aren't the 80's redubs.

EDIT: Not just Gumby, but Dick Tracy too.

#50 Kazuya Prower, Oct 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2010
  11. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Looks like they started the right way by showing the first episode of each show, and even used the original opening for She-Ra (though airing it before he-man was kind of odd, especially since the first 5 eps were a crossover with he-man).

12. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

More to the point, they're the first produced episodes. Still, like I said before, it's going to take forever to show each episode of each show once a week; most of them didn't even air on Saturdays originally.

13. Neomysterion

Neomysterion TZ's Resident Neopets King

It's nice to see Gumby make a comeback, too. I haven't seen Gumby in years!
    Great to see Gumby return as well.

14. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

UPA Dick Tracy is some wacky stuff.
    It may have made a strange impression on me about Dick Tracy when I was young.
    I’m sure I didn’t notice this as a kid, buy why does he always have his revolver sitting out on the desk?
    It’s like he sits there contemplating suicide all day until someone commit’s a crime, then he sends out a dog with a Carry Grant accent to take care of it.

The Archies has some good musical numbers, and more of them then I thought.
    On the other hand, Brave Starr had a rather crappy musical number, but it was good enough to defeat the bad guy, somehow.

On He-man they used the power of positive thinking to create a good comet to keep a lonely comet company. It’s like “what the heck!” the comet is suddenly talking!:p;):D:anime::)

These cartoons are so much stranger then I remember.
    Good pick up RTV.

15. PeppeRaskell1

PeppeRaskell1 Peanutized!!!

WNEP2 only shows She-Ra, He-Man and an hour of Lassie. From 8-10 a.m. it's Newswatch 16 Saturday Morning.

16. animePWNS

animePWNS Long time coming

I've seen some of these shows before, but my memory is pretty vague. Didn't think I'd watch them again (didn't think I had RTV at first, either). It was actually kinda fun, even if the shows have aged. I recorded each one and watched them in a different order though.

I was surprised to see some Gumby and Dick Tracy shorts mixed in to fill the time; maybe more surprised to see a character like Joe Jitsu again. A guy like that would certainly not fly on today's television.

Fat Albert: Funny show, though I hear it looks at some more serious themes later on. Bill Cosby with an afro FTW!:)

The Archie Show: I wonder how many kids actually imitated the show's dances like that?:ack:

He-Man:
    Strange that it's showing after She-Ra. I've also seen a YouTube video of Alan Oppenheimer (awesome voice actor!); his face seems to match Skeletor's skull structure. Creepy.:eek:

She-Ra:
    The only origin episode tonight. First time we see She-Ra on the channel and she's with the bad guys. Interesting.
    That Bow character looked a little...:D

Bravestarr:
    A future fashion mix of 80s, space and cowboys? Haven't seen anything that cool since Buckaroo Banzai.
    Some of the tunes I liked, except the last one; some of the singing there was bad.

Ghostbusters:
    Hard to believe that Eddie and Haunter have Optimus Prime's voice.:sweat:
    Futura, an ugly witch? She's one of the hottest 80s cartoon females voiced by Susan Blu!:)
    Tar and feather the witches! Cause it's not like they were burned at the stake or anything.:shrug:

Did they cut out the shows' morals? Bravestarr's the only one that got one today.

17. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh, you think that's something.
    Here RTV airs "The Bill Cosby Show." It may not be animated and it's not "The Cosby Show" but when he sings the theme song you may just die laughing.

18. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

I wonder if they'll show any other UPA shorts (ie, mr magoo).

19. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Not sure about Ghostbusters (since I can't tell if it was the first episode altogether or the first episode after the five-part premiere), but I do know that She-Ra doesn't have the moral segments during the five-parter that starts the show (as the morals were replaced with clips from the next episode).

20. fop_jediliz

fop_jediliz Member

I loved watching He-Man when I was 6 (it was in repeats, I was 4 when it started but toys still existed when I was 6) so I watched both He-Man and She-Ra yesterday and relived those special times. I even called my brother's house and told my 9 year old niece to turn the RTV station on and said I was her 6 year old sister's age when I watched those shows and that even their brother, who is 3 1/2 years old, might enjoy this show. Good cartoons are very hard to find these days! Too bad they couldn't have the Orko bumpers (IIRC, it was Orko that said "back after these messages").

I know what I'll be watching every Saturday for now on! I hope they keep them around for awhile cause with one episode a week, it'll take more than a year to air ALL the episodes.