1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

RTV to air Retro Saturday Morning Cartoons block

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by powergate92, Aug 7, 2010.

1. powergate92

powergate92 Power Rangers and Stargate fan

From: http://www.tvnewscheck.com/articles/2010/08/05/daily.12/
    So now He-Man, She-Ra, and Ghostbusters are going to air on RTV and qubo.

2. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I guess this means The Archies was a success on RTV. Also, considering that most of the other shows are from Classic Media (including the Filmation productions), this also means that RTV has a deal with Classic Media, which may or may not carry over into that planned "PBJ" network they're working on ("PBJ" is going to come from the same company as RTV).

Incidentally, I'm thinking "Richie Rich" isn't the 1980 version made by Hanna-Barbera, since Turner controls that one.

Incidentally, I should point out that He-Man, She-Ra, and (Filmation's) Ghostbusters didn't air on Saturdays originally. They originally aired in first-run daily (Mon-Fri) syndication, so they might be a bit out of place on RTV's Saturday programming block (at least IMO). Fat Albert did air on Saturdays originally, but then came back in daily syndication with new episodes.

3. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

I wonder if Lone Ranger is the 1980 filmation series, or the 50s live action series (remember, there were plenty of live-action shows on saturday mornings up until the mid-80s, so classic Lone Ranger wouldnt be an odd fit). Im thinking the former though. Richie Rich will probably be the 1996 series, which looked enjoyable from the minisodes i saw of it.

4. cognitofalcon

cognitofalcon G'night evry' body!!

Can anyone clue me in on what RTV is? And tell me how I know I'll have it?

5. Toon Master

Toon Master Active Member

RTV is Retro Television. It is a subchannel of a local channel (usually). There is a website for it but i dont believe im allowed to post the link. On the website you can check to see if your area gets the channel.

6. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Of course, we don't know if the Ghostbusters program is the 1980's cartoon or the 1970's live action series that the cartoon is based on.

7. powergate92

The live action show is called The Ghost Busters not Ghostbusters.

8. fhfan

fhfan Felicity★Happiness★

I'll definetely watch, but do you think Heathcliff Or Dennis the menace would ever be on the channel.

9. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

10. launchpad20

launchpad20 Active Member

Interesting. Well, it's nice to know that Retro TV is filling a void that broadcast stations refuse to fill right now. It's too bad they don't have a 'weekday' block since 'He-Man' & She-Ra' originated in daily syndication, and they did air the 'Archie' reruns during the week. Maybe if all goes well, we might see that. :cool:

11. Nickle98499

Nickle98499 Member

I just saw this article linked on another message board and I am impressed; plus I told my folks about this and some of the shows, especially Lassie, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Fat Albert and The Lone Ranger(which is one of my dad's favorites), and they are looking forward to this as well.

12. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

In my market, RTV is attached to the local ABC affiliate, and at present doesn't have the Archies or any animated programming. RTV programming starts at 9 (ET) with "Daytime" and ends at 1 am. I would be marking out if they picked up the toons for the weekend blocks. Seriously!

13. Mandouga

IMO, it will more likely be the latter. This is RTV we're talking about.

This will more likely be the former, but then again, anything's possible.

RTV's agreement is with Classic Media, so no. Heathcliff (if it's the one I think you mean), is controlled (?) by DIC which is now part of Cookie Jar. Dennis the Menace, although made by DIC comes from The Program Exchange.

Still, RTV could start giving us shows from other companies if this upcoming block is a success, but on the other hand, if they were to go further than that, they might end up becoming too big. I get the notion that RTV, being a small network, probably wants to stay that way...

14. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

15. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

Wow/ Miss some days, miss a lot. But yeah, it's pretty cool that Classic Media's wares that aren't VeggieTales or any other E/I fare are airing on RTV. Between this Saturday morning block and qubo's upcoming Sunday afternoon retro block, a whole lot of old-school cartoons are on broadcast television, some of which hasn't been on broadcast TV in decades.

You mean: http://www.myretrotv.com/affiliates.html ? Yeah, you can link to that.

Strangely, there is an RTV affiliate not listed on the site in my neck of the woods (the Hampton Roads market, WGBS-LP 7 [digital channel 11]), but its frequency is so infrequent. But when you get it, it is pretty sweet.

It's the animated one. The same one that's coming to qubo.

I hope they're still working on that channel. A kids network that's not handcuffed to E/I restrictions nor puritanical brainwashing on broadcast TV is sorely needed.

I'm thinking it's the most recent series, which could also be found at Crackle.com right now.

I'm curious if any of them are going to make the daily lineup as well. I'm also curious if they are airing the Filmation-made Lone Ranger and Lassie cartoons (Classic Media owns the characters outright and all related media).

But yeah, Rocky and Bullwinkle on broadcast television. It's been a long, long time.

16. powergate92

From RTV facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/myretrotv?v=wall&story_fbid=146677468691994

So looks like no Rocky & Bullwinkle, Casper, Richie Rich, Mr. Magoo, and The Lone Ranger.

17. Mandouga

Moreover, all of those are going to take forever to broadcast every episode:

Ghostbusters: 65 episodes
    BraveStarr: 65 episodes
    He-Man: 130 episodes across two seasons
    She-Ra: 93 episodes across two seasons
    The Archie Show (17), Archie's Funhouse (16), and U.S. of Archie (16), for a total of 49 episodes (there are probably legal troubles tying up Archie's TV Funnies, plus Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and The Archie and Sabrina Surprise Package have also been excluded)
    Fat Albert: 109 total episodes across three different series
    Lassie: A grand total of 588 episodes across 19 seasons!

They said that they would be moving their E/I stuff to weekdays. Personally, I think at least some of those shows could be included as part of that E/I requirement. Really, it's going to take way more than just once a week to get through all those shows, especially Lassie (unless of course, it's just one era). I mean it. RTV really needs to consider weekday airings for those shows as well as their Saturday block.

18. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

Yet. No R&S, Casper, Richie Rich, Mr. Magoo, and Lone Ranger YET.

RTV changes their lineup almost quarterly, whichever way the wind blows, so, things could change at a drop of the hat. Plus, this is just the national feed. Some markets have their own customized lineups, so check your local listings.

And I agree, Mandouga. RTV needs to strip the long-range series to weekdays rather than keeping them Saturdays-only.

19. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

I didn't even know RTV had begun broadcasting cartoons, muchless one of my favorite series in Archie. I know they can't broadcast Archie's Weird Mysteries, which I believe is now owned by Cookie Jar, but I'll have to try and tune into the weekday airing of these classic Archies, and I actually have a reason to flip on Saturday toons now. Outside of Fat Albert I can honestly say I enjoy all of the toons they will be broadcasting.

20. PeppeRaskell1

PeppeRaskell1 Peanutized!!!

Out my way, the local RTV affiliate is WNEP 16.2 in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. I'm looking forward to this new old Saturday morning block. More fun than what's currently on RTV's Saturday line-up: Mustard Pancakes, Aqua Kids, and a wanna-be Winx Club show called Angel's Friends.