1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

World's Finest RPG RPG Off-topic Discussion

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by Inque, Apr 27, 2001.

1. Mr. Obsession

Mr. Obsession Active Member

I didn't know where to post this (Inque probably does), but here's a status update/report on the BB:RPG.

We're still alive and kicking and the following characters are taken:
    Shriek - Terry/Batman
    Bird_Boy-Bruce - Bruce Wayne & Willie Watt
    Blight - Blight
    Mr. Obsession - Stalker & Comm. Barbara Gordon
    flhero311 - The Ninja (Custom Character)
    batboy2001 - Spellbinder

Max Gibson was claimed by PeaceKeeper (who has been banned) so that character is available.

nightwing_38116 who has claimed Dick Grayson and FlyingGrayson who has claimed Hawk (a custom character) appear to have lost interest in the RPG so if Inque says so those characters may be available soon.

Dana Tan (claimed by Dana Tan) and Meline/Ten (claimed by Eve) have disappeared off the face of the boards so if Inque says so those characters are up for grabs.

Oh, and Inque has apparently given up the rights to the character Inque.

And story wise the RPG has taken off, and is progressing quite nicely. But we can still use more characters. So jump on in established BB characters and originals are always welcome.

2. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Tree-hugging hippee

Help needed in Superman RPG too!

Hi everyone!

The Superman RPG is also looking for a few good players. With SliverKnight just coming on board, taking over as Superman after NMaxFranklin abandoned the role (with Inque's permission), we now have only four active players. Here is a rundown of the characters.

SilverKnight: Superman
    nerdgirl: Lois Lane and Volcana
    watsonlives: Lex Luthor and Sgt. Dale Ingram (a custom character)
    Flying Grayson: Superboy

Also, Shriek was supposed to be Metallo, Flash was supposed to be Lobo, and Eve was supposed to be Supergirl, but these roles were never played, so they might be up for grabs again. Anyone else is available, although you'll have to read the story to see what is happening with some of them. Custom characters are welcome too! Just come on down!

Have a recruiting day!

nerdgirl :)

3. Brainiac

Brainiac You've forced my hand.

Forgive me--I'm new to the RPG board--but I was wondering if anyone was interested in a Spider-Man RPG...I read about it in an earlier post, but it never seemed to have been completed. Well, if anyone's interested, I'd like to play VULTURE

4. JLU Dude

JLU Dude Active Member

Hey, someone revive talk about it the the "New RPG Suggestions" thread. Check ot out.

5. Gyro

Gyro Never Knows Best

Hey, we're short one Mod. What happened to Inque?

6. Gyro

Gyro Never Knows Best

7. Mr. Obsession

I think Inque resigned. :( But we still have Bird_Boy.

Sieg Bird_Boy! :D

8. Hippos315

Hippos315 Member

9. Mr. Obsession

Please take your SPAM elsewhere. Thank you. :)

If anyone would like to participate in the "Reality Check type RPG with Superpowers and Stuff" I think we should start talking about it here (characters, settings, and stuff) before we ask for a thread to be started.

10. Freza Resurrected

Freza Resurrected Criminal Mastermind

What happened to the Reality Check RPG? Everyone who was a part of it just..disappeared or something.

11. Gyro

Gyro Never Knows Best

OK, too make it a little easier to get the "original" RPG started I think we should think of the world that they live in first. Is it Earth? If so the future, the present, or the past? Maybe a made up world?

12. Mr. Obsession

The New Rules.

(as a note I'm going to be posted this in the in the thread in The Cafe)

I just finished reading over the new rules. There fine and all, but I have to say that I disagree with a "cap" on each RPG. I'd kind of like to know the justification behind such a decision. If the mods feel this is better suited to PM's that's fine by me, but I do want to discuss this "issue".

Personally I see the caps as a limit on the RPG's potential. For example the BB RPG is now "full", but there are a ton of unclaimed characters in the BB universe that are still available. By not allowing any new members I believe that the growth of the RPG has been incredibly limited. I say this because since people know there's a cap it I believe that it severely limits the possibility that potential members will want to join. I also say this because I believe if new members can't join than to keep the stories advancing you're going to have to bring in new characters which means that existing members are going to have to cover this which means that either they're going drop existing characters to focus on new ones (which can harm the overall story) or the members will potentially face "burnout" and drop the RPG, if this happens to enough players it would equal the death of the RPG.

And what about RPG's like the Justice League or X-Men, which by their very nature can easily fill the cap with just the rosters of the heroes?

And Gyro, I'm still interested in the RPG. :) I was thinking of something along the lines of a modern setting in a city somewhat like New York.

13. Matthan

Matthan Member

New Rules

Well, Mr. Obsession, I understand where you're coming from, but on the other side of the coin there are some scary possibilities. With ten players it used to be possible for there to be 30 different characters running around. That could theoretically be 30 different plots running around. The problem stems from people not knowing how to take turns. The problem is unfortunately still viable with the new rules. Whether they meant to or not, they didn't put a character cap up like we had before. Where before it was recommended to have one or two characters with three being the max, now there is no official cap. So we could have 10 players and a hundred characters. Talk about getting sick of an rpg. If the player cap continues, it will be the players who have to expand themselves. Mostly though, I think it will be a rotating villain cast. Someone may do a plot with Joker and when it concludes shuffles to Two-Face. Is that better? I don't know. I am only involved in the Beyond RPG, and that hasn't really happened.

On your side though, sometimes new players really liven up an rpg. They can bring new ideas and make new plots. Asmor (though he's gone now and I'm going to miss him) and I joined the Beyond RPG at around the same time and hopefully we both brought a little breath of fresh air with us. Asmor worked well with Blight and made up a joint plot. I'm working on a major plot now. I think the player cap may have been more important if they weren't screening the potential players. If the players are going to be screened to see if they are "good" enough then theoretically they should be good enough to add to the story without convuluting it. The biggest thing that needs to be brought out either in the rules or in some type of general RPG tips thread, is that all characters don't have to be active at once. If every villain in the Beyond universe was being played at once, there is no way the heroes would win even with the custom heroes we have now.

The rules are good, but they still don't address the core problem that is plaguing many of the failing rpgs. People are still not sure how to work everything. There is no where they can go to read how to play. It's more than just writing a story. It has a fundamental base in interaction with the other players. That's the joy of the games. However with interaction comes etiquette and that's what we're lacking. I don't think a player cap would be necessary if players realized that more than two or three main plots happening at once is to much. The Beyond rpg has been such a success because as each plot winds down there is some out of character discussion about who goes next. Heck, I even asked before I did the Mayor plot. Blight asked before he brought back Joker. I believe you (Mr. O) even gave everyone notice when you were introducing Ibn. No one gave away all the details but they made sure it was ok with the rpg first. We need some type of etiquette written up where we can point new (and old) players to and say this is how you do it. I'm sure most of the older players would help any new players if they asked. I know that they always answered me. By the way, Mr. O thanks for answering my PM about joining the Beyond rpg a long time ago. That was a big deal to me.

That's my opinion about that. We're treating symptoms instead of finding a cure. Hopefully the Mods aren't going to sit on their laurels and try to keep the rpg forum dynamic in its rules and how they carry them out. Here's to hoping.

Since I just noticed, I'll post this in the cafe as well. Might as well hit all the readers.

~Matthan

14. The Guitar Slayer

The Guitar Slayer 1965 to Eternity

Your Friendly Neighborhood Rotweiller....

Okay, folks. Like Matthan said, I hope that'll never happen. I'm right psychotic about this, so the rotweiller lives. :D

I know myself and Bird_Boy got some of you folks in Private Messages, but this one's for everybody. Everybody who has not posted for a long time could lose their character if they don't wake up. Some of you have actually forgotten your character in a certain RPG. It's not all your fault...the character list is hard to maintain. However, this is an

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Check out the character listing that Bird Boy posted in February. Although it doesn't look like it's been updated, he and I have been going in and editting in and out characters.

One idea I've had was to start keeping a waiting list. Since some characters have been abandoned (some that are integral to the storyline), I'm going to be going back and looking up people who were interested in the RPG, but could not get in at that time. I will take note of the names; first come, first serve as usual. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS IDEA. IT IS NOT SET IN STONE.

Also, as most of you know, the JL RPG will be rebooted. I would suggest getting in and calling claims on characters now, if ever.

The Reality Check RPG needs some New Yorkers and other colorful characters. We want hobos, transvestites, transsexuals, hookers, Broadway people, athletes, cops, criminals, families, every person you've ever seen or heard of in NYC. Heck, we even got Mayor Bloomberg!

Batman RPG people, there's going to be going to be a lot going on at 6:22 RPG time, 11 hours from current RPG time. I suggest you catch up and get ready for some serious chaos. :)

I think that covers it. Comments, Questions?

15. BLACKHEART

BLACKHEART Member

Terror will have a new name in the Batman RPG

16. Mattashell

Mattashell Before punk,there were NUGGETS

The Star Wars RPG

Will someone from Star Wars please pm me, to help me work my character back into the story. I just can't think of anything. Thanks.

17. Bleu Unicorn

Bleu Unicorn \ (^v^) /

[color=63B8FF]If any of you are interested, I wanted to let you know that both Dana and Inque are now available in the Batman Beyond RPG due to the fact that I no longer can participate in the RPG because of far too many other obligations.

On a similar note, the World's Finest RPG has been in need of a Superman for quite some time now.

Anyone interested should contact one of the RPG mods.

Cheers![/color]

18. The Detective

The Detective Active Member

Just a few notes for those interested in the GL RPG.
    My character has sent out four rings seeking owners, but that doesn't mean you can't join. If you want to, you character just has to meet me os someone else and we'll give you a ring. Of course we'll make it make sense in the context of the RPG. And some custom villians over on the GL RPG would be nice. And, if there is someone who wants to join said RPG but can't think of a character, PM and I'll create a character for you.

19. AceOfKnaves

AceOfKnaves Why aren't you laughing?

Wow, most of the RPGs have been fairly dead lately...here's to hoping that they start up again pretty quick! :)

The Justice League RPG is pretty villainless, and we really need more then the few that we have. Any takers?

For those that are interested in new or other RPGs, I just created a site devoted solely to RPGs and FanFics. If you have the time, PLEASE join up! We need members so we can start up some RPGs. :D Click on the link in my signature if you're curious.

And PLEASE join the JL RPG as well. :)

~Selena~

20. The Detective

The Detective Active Member

Just letting everyone know........the server at Hero RPGs crashed so we're having to start all over. Now would be THE PERFECT time to join up since most of the RPGs are just restarting.