1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Rocko's Modern Life" TV Movie News and Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by MDawg, Aug 11, 2016.

1. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

I figured as much, SDCC is usually the place for everyone to showcase upcoming projects

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

So exciting for those who go there to see a least a bit of the TV movie that is great knowing that a good amount of people going to these events would have at least been fans at one point.

3. Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

That was awesome!

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster Well-Known Member

What we learnt during the SDCC panel:

- Filburt "goes viral after a while" in Rocko’s Modern Life: Static Cling;

- That Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling is 100% hand animated, with the backgrounds also all handpainted;

- There'll be lots of cameos in Rocko’s Modern Life: Static Cling, including Really Really Big Man and his Nipples of the Future (he'll be a dark and gritty vigilante!) and Peaches;

- Filburt really likes feet in the movie;

- Filburt takes to modern life the most quickly;

- We'll see Filburt's kids in Static Cling. Two are doctors, one has their pants keep falling down.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #45 Ghostbuster, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  6. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Hot dang, it's everything I could've hoped for from a Rocko reboot, everything from the art to the tone is spot on perfect and I loved every second of it.

I firmly believe this is not only going to be great, but something the modern day needs.

• Agree Agree x 5
    #46 AnotherRandomGuy, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  7. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

That trailer really captures the madcap tone of the original series run. I look forward to this. Also, it's funny how there's that gag with the word "reboot" even though this is a revival due to picking up where the show left off.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

...Whoa. For the longest time, I felt rather neutral about the idea of making a reunion special of this, but to say this preview won me over is a severe understatement.

First of all, for the most part, it looks and feels exactly like the old show. The art and animation style is a near-complete match, and the fact they actually went the extra mile to make it hand-drawn only makes it all the more impressive. The pacing is just as fast and the tone just as zany.

Also, the modern-day humor actually works really, really well. In a different context, it could easily come off as annoying and trendy, especially on Nickelodeon. However, not only was Rocko always about social satire, but you can tell the writers are basically fully embracing how much has changed in the last 20 years by throwing in as many of these gags as they could while still retaining the same spirit. It prevents this from looking like a pointless nostalgia cash-grab and more like a Rocko's Modern Life that's more, well, modern. It never feels obnoxious about it because the passion is clearly there.

So yeah, really looking forward to this all of a sudden.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

I loved the Smartphone gag, best watch out for oPhone 11!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That was a hilarious sneak peak. They just jumped right into parodies of current trends and it works quite nicely. It captured the same art and comedy style of the original series. There were quite a few nods to the original opening there too. I think my favorite bits were the iPhone and gritty super hero movie. It really feels like the staff and voice actors just jumped right back into the swing of things, which is really promising for the movie. I'm definitely looking forward to this special.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

Am I the only one who never understood the appeal of this show?

I liked the theme song but that's it

Even as a young adult I still don't enjoy it

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That was great! Felt just like the original! Except everything's noticeably brighter....

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

If Rocko thinks the 21st Century is this crazy, wait until he turns on the news...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. cheril59

cheril59 Member

The backgrounds are hand-painted like the original series! Awesome! And I believe it's animated overseas at Yeson, even now they use digital ink and paint.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Toonberculosis

Toonberculosis Gets Two Scoops

I grew up with the original show and I'm pleased the nailed the style of the show without missing a beat. A very promising revival after so many disappointing ones. Looking at you PPG and Samurai Jack.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

The trailer looks promising for the most part they did a great job jumping in to todays culture and making it feel so at home, though I will say that Rocko's new skin tone looks weird. Regardless It was a really fun trailer and It sure did feel so instyle to what Rocko is known for.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    #56 jaylop97, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  17. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Me too. But I am glad for the fans.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

I admit the first 20 seconds threw me a bit off as it kind of felt Rocko was acting a bit Spongebob being overly impressed about the future but that changed soon as we saw his discomfort and punishment from everything with the future. And I don't like seeing jokes of just Rocko getting tormented (which thankfully with Filburt and Heffer embracing the future more) but his reactions especially at the gritty big man and the redo of the intro with everyone giving him thumbs down really felt like the original show and if this is the feel it's going to capture I'm even more for this. Hope this is just a taste of the intro and we really get to see the rest of the movie play out more when it comes out next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Freav

Freav BeakFreav

Now that's how you make a reboot. This trailer was amazing and it left me with very high hopes for this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

That was so much fun! I'm betting the animation is done by Rough Draft Korea, since they also worked on the original series, and did a really good job on it. Only difference is that it's digitally colored, but so what? The animation still looks in tune to the original!

• Agree Agree x 1