1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Rocket & Groot" Animated Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Mar 13, 2017.

?

Rate and Discuss these "Rocket & Groot" animated shorts!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Use this thread to discuss the Rocket & Groot animated shorts released by Marvel and Disney XD!

[​IMG]

A 12-episode series of Rocket and Groot short films, set before the two titular characters join the Guardians, will start rolling out on the Disney XD app, one per day, from March 27.

Animated by Passion Pictures and based on designs by comic book artist Skottie Young, the shorts follow Rocket and Groot as they try to figure out how to get enough credits to buy a new ship after their old one breaks down.

The shorts are directed by Arnaud Delord (famous for his Gorillaz music videos), and written by Chris “Doc” Wyatt and Kevin Burke. Executive producers are Cara Speller, Alan Fine, Dan Buckley, Joe Quesada, and Cort Lane, and co-executive producers are Stephen Wacker and Stan Lee.

Four of the shorts will also be posted on YouTube beginning March 27, and a compilation of all the films will premiere on the “linear” Disney XD channel, at 7 a.m. ET on April 10.

Check out the first short, on Disney XD's YouTube channel. It was apparently uploaded last week but there was no real promotion for it. (The video might be region-locked).

Marvel's Rocket & Groot - Dream Machine
    Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Other relevant links:
    "Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (Animated)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)
    "Ant-Man" and "Rocket and Groot" Shorts by French Animation Studio confirmed

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Origins" Animated Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)
    "Guardians of the Galaxy" Digital Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)
    Marvel and Funko Animated Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That was a really fun short. Felt like it came straight out of a Skottie Young comic :D.

Nice to hear Trevor Devall and Kevin Michael Richardson reprising Rocket and Groot in this :).

The animation was great. Very fluid, dynamic, and vibrant, with plenty of cartoony flair befitting the characters involved :anime:.

I almost wish the main cartoons looked this good :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

"203 Views?" Really?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I can... confirm that. :(

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ugh, region-locking is the worst :sad:.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

March 13th:
    It's a pretty good start. The art-style and animation are more interesting than the plot, so far. I think it looks great and I am looking forward to the rest (and it does make me wonder if the Ant-Man shorts will have a similar style).

Apparently these follow the adventures of Rocket & Groot before joining the Guardians. That should clear up any continuity issues. :p Also at the start of the short, it looked like they were chasing the Space Phantom.

March 16th:
    Another short is available on YouTube:

Marvel's Rocket & Groot - A Piece of Cake
    Again, not much actually happened but it's pretty entertaining stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I hear all the shorts will air together as one story on April 10 on Disney XD. Maybe I can see Rocket and Groot then (if it's for Disney XD Canada as well).

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. brodie999

brodie999 Active Member

Yeah, I hope Josh Keaton and Melissa Rauch reprises their roles as Ant-Man in Avengers: Secret Wars S4, replacing Grant George and Colleen Villard.

9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hope you eventually get a chance to see these shorts, I think you'd enjoy them.

I think we would have heard by now if George Grant was being replaced for Secret Wars, similar to how Mick Wingert was announced as the new voice for Iron Man. And I don't think there was any real confirmation Colleen Villard was going to voice Wasp either.

Also, please take any further discussion about the Ant-Man shorts to this thread and let's keep this one about the Rocket & Groot cartoons.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Feels like they missed an opportunity to not include mroe cameo's and easter eggs among those wanted posters :oops:.

Anyone could probably guess what that "cute and cuddly" bounty was going to turn out :p.
    That sounds really cool, especially since it means more people will be able to watch the shorts! Be even better if they air it during an episode of Guardians or right before :cool:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was expecting something like that as well, after the Space Phantom cameo in the last short.

I wonder if we'll get any more cameos or guest-stars in these (like the other set of Guardians shorts had MODOK and Man-Thing). Since there are supposed to be 10 more shorts here, I kind of doubt they will only feature Rocket & Groot, but I guess we'll see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. JoeMabbon

Pretty simple, straightforward little show so far. The visuals are the highlight. I think Devall is getting a better opportunity to show off his comedy chops here than he does on Guardians.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd say this is just playing to his strengths since he always tends to get the best lines on Guardians :p.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

The style of these kind of reminds me of the Twisted Whiskers show. I have to say I like it. It has a very dynamic feel to it and it's always refreshing to me, seeing a different style employed. With how short they are, I can definitely see Disney XD run them during ad breaks or after the credits run.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

New short:

Marvel's Rocket & Groot - Black Tie Only
    This was probably the funniest so far. That final scene with Rocket holding a chainsaw was kind of creepy but still amusing.

@Greg91 and anyone else who can't watch these shorts on YouTube - this one is also available on IGN (where I don't think it's region-locked).

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

I hope it comes to international feeds as well. Looks nice.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, at least they got the bounty that time, if their credit at the end is any indication, even if they both had make some sacrifices to do it :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. JoeMabbon

They just consider taking a long-term contract. That's where the real money is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Hey thanks. I can see this one. :) And this was a fun short. I appreciate you giving me (and others) a heads-up like that.

• Like Like x 3
  20. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Here's another short:

Marvel's Rocket & Groot - The Space Race
    Fun stuff. It's pretty weird how another series of shorts (DC Super Hero Girls) had a Wacky Races-like plot recently. It's cool Blackjack O'Hare appeared, I was hoping for more guest-stars.

• Like Like x 2